Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared about having fills done

Hi everyone! I just had my Lap Band put in last week. I am doing really good with the Clear Liquids. Tomorrow I progress to full liquids. I have alot of chest pains which I think is from the gas. I was wondering if you guys could help me with being so scared of having my first fill. Does it hurt? How long does it take? I now it's stupid, but I have been more afraid of getting the fills than of having the actual surgery. Thanks for your time! You guys look like you have done an awesome job with your band! Losing weight is not easy, so you should all be proud of youselves!:w00t:

I can tell you that the fills are a breeze (I've had 5). I'm usually at the doc's office for 15 minutes, that includes a weigh-in and chat with the doc about food and how long I stay full. The fill itself takes about one minute. The worst part is when the doc presses down on the chub to find the port. The poke is nothing, it's not even as bad as a shot (which I don't think are that bad anyway). Then I drink about 3 oz of Water to make sure it goes down.

Fills are easy. I've never had a painful one yet. Kind of feels like a mosquito bite when I do feel it, but I've had a couple where I never even felt it! Quick and easy. Make sure you can drink Water before you leave and off you go.

Don't even worry about the fills!! They are so nothing! :w00t: They don't hurt (it's just a pinch) and only last a few seconds. It's really not that big a deal AT ALL. I promise -- and I'm a total baby!! It's not even worth stressing about even a little bit. You will be fine. :wink:

Catherine

Let the doctor know you are nervous before you get the fill. You will be fine. The first time is scary but it's like a bee sting and very short lived. I was so nervous the first time, I almost passed out. The doctor said it was nerves and I wasn't the first patient to get queezy (sp) - it had nothing to do with pain or the shot - just straight nerves! After that first time you will see it isn't a big deal at all.

Jilly, I understand your fears--it's hard, when you don't quite know what to expect.

I promise, it's not nearly as bad as you are fearing! I will describe how my doctor does it. Yours may do it a little differently, but the basic technique is the same.

I stand up, next to the fluoroscope. (Your doctor may not use fluoroscopy, so you might not be positioned this way.) The doctor locates my port (sometimes I have to pooch my stomach out a little), then swabs the area with an alcohol wipe. The needle is then inserted into the site; it feels just like any other injection--though in skilled hands (and the people who do fills have so much experience), it is not bad at all.

My doctor then injects a bit of saline from the syringe into the port. He leaves the needle in place, and lets the syringe, connected to the needle by a tiny bit of tubing, rest against my abdomen. I step sideways so that he can take a look, fluoroscopically, as I take a swallow of barium. Depending on what he sees and how I feel, he sometimes injects a bit more saline, has another look, and so on--until I hit the right level of restriction.

He then removes the needle, pops on a band-aid, and that's that!

It is all very quick--never more than a handful of minutes from start to finish. He's never had to stick more than once, and it has never been more uncomfortable than the easiest, breeziest vaccination.

i was very scared to get my first fill and im not a baby when it comes to needles. as all the other posters said it was not bad at all. as of yesterday im on fill #5.

I had my 1st fill on the 18th and I didn't feel any pain at all. My surgeon uses an ultrafine needle to inject a little lidocaine under the skin and I couldn't even feel it. When he used the port needle there was a slight popping sensation but no pain, I could feel the band inflate which didn't hurt either just a flutter sensation then swallowed Water and I was done.. no post site pain either!

I just got home from my first fill. I just relaxed on the table and the fill was finished in a minute. I didn't feel a thing

All of my fills have been super easy. The needle just feels like a tiny pinch when it goes in and I don't feel anything after that. Even when she has had to move the needle around to find the port, it doesn't hurt. I still only feel the initial pinch when the needle goes in. I would say it is even easier than giving blood. I think we must have less nerve endings in our stomach than in our arms. I would recommend not looking at the needle, though. I NEVER look at the needle for any shots or when they put in an IV. I think if you watch it, it makes you think its gonna hurt and then you perceive pain when it really isn't painful.

I have a little secret I use. I use Sonacaine topical anesthetic gel. My daughter got this for electroloysis.(sp) I rub this on before I leave the house (Don't forget to lay down when you do this because your port moves) Then cover it with saran wrap. This was a trick they told DD at the hair removal place. Then when you sign it rub in another little dab of the gel. When I go in the room I take off the saran and then wipe off the area. No pain or even little pinch from the needle because the needle does not go in the muscle.

I have never told the doctor; but one fill I forgot to take off the saran. When he lifted my shirt he peeled the saran off and looked at me like I was crazy. I told him what it was and how good it worked and he said to go for it.

I have done it ever since and NO pain or pinch. I am a real chicken can you tell.

The only feeling i get from the whole process is a little sting from the needle for the numbing.......then pressure from the second needle penetrating my port. ITS SUPER EASY and painless!!!!!:laugh:

Oh my gosh! Thank you all for your help! I am so happy I found this site because this whole thing is scary. I'm a nurse and I use needles all of the time, but I'm on the dull end of that needle. I am extra gentle with my patients because I know how much I hate getting pricked. Adagray, not looking at the needle is my plan exactly! LOL I hope you guys know how much you have put me at ease. Thank you all! :laugh:

Oh yeah and Catherine55....you look absolutely AMAZING. Your before pic was pretty too, but you should be really proud of yourself! You're beautiful!!!