Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced bandsters - calorie level???

I am newly banded, April 7, and have had one fill. I am eating lean meats, low carb veggies, fresh or no sugar added canned fruit, occasionally fat free refried Beans and chili, and my Protein drink for Breakfast. I am averaging 80-90 grams of Protein per day and 700-800 calories. I am not hungry.

My question is, do you think 700-800 calories per day is enough? I am not eating any grains at this point (no rice, Pasta, crackers etc) and no potatoes. For lunch I am able to eat 3 oz of chicken with a tablespoon of mayo and a fresh pear and I am full.

I am such a carboholic I am afraid of starting down the slippery slope if I add starches in. I have done well so far, but I want to get enough calories and enough balance in my diet.

I go to my first support class this week where I will discuss this. Would like to know what others are doing, however.

Thanks!

Great question. I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I was banded on April 29, no fill yet. On the full liquid diet, I was drinking only 400 kcal per day. I've finally advanced to purees and mashed foods but am still on very few cals. I don't know what will happen when I get my fill in a few weeks. I would love to have a kcal goal to work towards each day to ensure I'm losing optimum weight without going into starvation mode.

I am newly banded too...May 6th...and have been wondering the same thing, so I have done some research online and read that to keep your body from going into "starvation mode" you need to consume about half of the calories of your BMR (basal metabolic rate). You can find BMR calculators online, and it uses you weight, age, and activity level to determine how many calories your body uses per day. I am still on full liquids but am trying my best to get half of my BMR in everyday, which for me is about 900 calories per day.

Hope this helps, and maybe some else will have more information :redface:

I am newly banded too...May 6th...and have been wondering the same thing, so I have done some research online and read that to keep your body from going into "starvation mode" you need to consume about half of the calories of your BMR (basal metabolic rate). You can find BMR calculators online, and it uses you weight, age, and activity level to determine how many calories your body uses per day. I am still on full liquids but am trying my best to get half of my BMR in everyday, which for me is about 900 calories per day.

Hope this helps, and maybe some else will have more information :redface:

Thanks for this info ! I have been wondering about that ! I am going to try to get half my BMR now and with Exercise I should be on my way. Very Insightful. Thanks again. Chuck

Calorie needs are very individual. A lot of people will tell you you're NOT taking in enough calories. I'm not among them--but that is because I lose best around 800-900 calories, and do not lose if I go much above that.

It sounds like you're doing a really good job tracking that your nutrient needs are being met. That's really great. If you're doing this tracking with something like Fitday, you can also track weight and measurements over time----and having that information will help you assess, as time goes on, if you're taking in enough energy in the form of calories.

There's lots of talk about "starvation mode" in the press currently (things like this occur in trends)--but there is NOT peer-reviewed research to back up the assertions made. The research does not exist--but that does not prevent people from stating it as fact, and as we all know, it's become accepted lore about weight loss.

It's true that, as you lose weight, your metabolism will change; this is not a function of starvation except in that a smaller body does not require as much fuel.

If you have excess weight to lose, your body has a steady, ample supply of energy, and you do not need to provide it in the form of food. (Sometimes, the body becomes temporarily stubborn about letting this fat go--so remembering that plateaus are a normal part of the process will keep you from going nuts!) The body's energy needs are already met by the large warehouses we've stored for lean times (ha! no pun intended.) food becomes a way to get the vital nutrients you need---something it seems you're doing quite well.

Keep track of what's going on with your body---listen to it, and follow your own body's trends. You'll figure out what works for you. Your needs are likely different from mine, or those of anyone else who responds to you.

If you do find that your body requires more calories to lose efficiently, you don't have to add them in the form of the starches that concern you. A little more Protein, a teaspoon of heart-healthy fat, a handful of nuts--there are all kinds of non-carby foods that will do the trick :redface:

(I have yet to eat anything carby other than legumes---and have NO intention of adding anything back in until I'm at goal. Pouch space is at a premium---no way will I choose something that meets none of my nutritional needs.)

BetsyB - your posts are always so informative - I love reading them. Thank you for sharing! :redface: I was banded May 5th. At first I wasn't hungry, but now I'm STARVING. I'm guessing this is the bandster hell people describe? I'm on purees, but of course, they don't fill me up for long. I can easily eat 1 egg, 2 egg whites, .5 oz of cheese - all pureed with a dash of milk, and a greek yogurt. That's 300 cal. for Breakfast. That'll last me a couple hours, but come afternoon, I'm hungry soon after I eat my lunch, snack, etc. Yesterday I clocked up 1600 cal. Pre-band, I would've been very happy with that. Post band - it sounds like alot of cal. And of course the scales instantly jumped up 2 lbs this morning. Argh. My doc said don't calorie count at this stage.... but I feel I have to, to not go out of control. Anyway - I knew my main battle would be the mental one, and I guess that self-prophecy is coming true. Got sidetracked - really just wanted to thank everyone for such great info!!

Betsy,

I just started with FitDay yesterday and it is really cool. It does so many things. Anyone who has not tried it needs to!! I love that it allows custom foods so I can make a receipe, figure the ingredients and nutritional info for each item and come up with an accurate listing for that receipe and use it over and over!

I am reading a book by Dr. Duc C. Vuong, Ultimate Lap Band Success and in there he states, "The medical field is pretty sure now that when caloric intake drops down to around 1100-1200 calories per day, human metabolism will slow down. This is a natural, evolutionary response." He advocates exercise to keep the metabolism up. He is a Lap Band Surgeon in Houston. He does not footnote or list references so I do not know where his info is coming from. Seems this is an accepted belief, even with Lap Band surgeons. Just not sure what to believe.

I am glad to hear that someone else is not feeling compelled to eat carbs. It does make it harder to get enough calories if I need to get over 800. I just know what carbs do to my appetite. I do not want to go there and risk cravings I am not having now.

When I do get hungry, I add another 1-2 ounces of low fat deli chicken or turkey or half a Protein drink. I think I will do that to make sure I get at least 800 calories per day.

I am not exercising much so that is my new goal. I HAVE TO EXERCISE! It is not my favorite thing to do so I will have to force myself. UGH! :) I have not lost in a week, so that is probably why. :)

If I get opinions and info from the dietician at my class Thursday, I will post it. This seems to be a questions many people have.

Edited by Froggie D

I am like Betsy, my body loses weight between 800-1000 calories a day. I got a body bugg and their computer program wanted me to eat 1250 calories a day, I did for a week and gained 3 pounds. So back down to my usual and I have lost that 3 plus 1. I do eat carbs (in the form of veggies) but just at dinner and 1/4 cup. (No bread, rice or Pasta, mainly because the band wont let me.)

I think its a good idea to take the ideas you like from this site and forge your own plan and then start tweaking it from there using your tracking.

Thanks Betsy & Leigh...it is great to hear what is working for those of us who are working and succeeding with the band!

I am working hard to make consistent exercise a new part of my life. Since I am just 10 days out from surgery, and can't do many activities yet, I am concentrating on walking. Week 1 I started walking 1 mile a day, and now I am walking at least 1 1/2 miles a day, and plan on adding 1/2 mile a week until I hit the 6 week mark and can add strength training. I am making an appointment with a personal trainer (at the 6 week mark) to help me plan a balanced exercise program.

Well, that's my plan, and I hope that by exercising, watching the calories, and tracking the nutrition on Fit Day I will be successful :)

I would love to hear what other people are doing, or did, when they were in the early stages.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle, it sounds like you're doing great with exercise! Walking is my favorite activity---I walk for miles and miles every day, and it's made a huge difference in my overall wellbeing.

Tracey, the mental/emotional stuff really gets WAAAAAAY easier once you approach restriction. Right now, you're in the hardest part of all. It gets so, so much better!

Froggie, I'm not a fan of Vuong. He presents theory as fact, without the research to back it up. He's fairly well-regarded as a surgeon, but his writing is not well-regarded in the medical community. His lack of citation is really problematic for him in this regard.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have anything of value to contribute. It does mean that he doesn't have the authority of peer-reviewed research to back him up; he writes based on anecdote and opinion. Anecdote and opinion can be very interesting and, in fact, very useful. But it's wrong of him to present them as fact.

I lost easily on about 1500 calories a day. I know we've all used the excuse of a "slow metabolism" for being overweight, I did too. But in hindsight, given I ate about 1500 to lose and maintain on about 1800 (I certainly dont need my band tight for that!) I dont think I fit into the slow metabolism camp, although all the charts say that at my height and activity level, 2500 a day or so for maintenence would be where I should be at. There is no way I can eat that much, I got fat on that much!

However I am a slug without starches and grains in my diet. I cant run well, I cant exercise well, I cant make it through the day and my bowels complain mightily. I avoid sugary white carbs, but every day includes at least a serve of something like oatmeal, some bran, brown rice or Pasta and I'm not the least afraid of potatoes either. I find just a little starchy food like that fills my stomach much better and makes a meal stick for me.

As you can see, everyone is completely different and there's no right or wrong to it. I dont believe at all that wholegrain carbs are nutritionally worthless but some people need more than others and some people's bodies handle them better than others. That's something you need to work out for you. Same with calorie level, my idea of how tight a band should be would never ever have allowed me to survive on 800 a day, I'd have starved!

I lost easily on about 1500 calories a day. I know we've all used the excuse of a "slow metabolism" for being overweight, I did too. But in hindsight, given I ate about 1500 to lose and maintain on about 1800 (I certainly dont need my band tight for that!) I dont think I fit into the slow metabolism camp, although all the charts say that at my height and activity level, 2500 a day or so for maintenence would be where I should be at. There is no way I can eat that much, I got fat on that much!

However I am a slug without starches and grains in my diet. I cant run well, I cant exercise well, I cant make it through the day and my bowels complain mightily. I avoid sugary white carbs, but every day includes at least a serve of something like oatmeal, some bran, brown rice or Pasta and I'm not the least afraid of potatoes either. I find just a little starchy food like that fills my stomach much better and makes a meal stick for me.

As you can see, everyone is completely different and there's no right or wrong to it. I dont believe at all that wholegrain carbs are nutritionally worthless but some people need more than others and some people's bodies handle them better than others. That's something you need to work out for you. Same with calorie level, my idea of how tight a band should be would never ever have allowed me to survive on 800 a day, I'd have starved!

I too eat whole grain carbs--and trust I am a carb addict. However, I cannot do rice well or potatoes, so I do not eat them often. I do whole grain to keep things moving, and I find even with no restriction, I am full longer. Most importantly, this band is about a life style change. Everything I do, I ask myself can I maintain this for the rest of my life. I know I am not going to never eat bread again, so I learn to avoid white sugar, bread, Pasta, etc and eat carbs in moderation. I do, however, eat my carb last, so I usually only have a very tiny portion since I am full from the Protein and veggies.

I am between 900-1500 right now. I try and alternate high and low days. I have been having to remind my self to eat because I was only around 500-600. My surgeon said to eat more often during the day because I am such a big guy, to go down that much could cause damage in the long run.

I am excited to get back into a regular diet and see how to manage my calories better.

I agree that whole grain carbs are not useless. They do have good nutrition in them. After I eat lean meat and low carb veggies, I just cannot fit them in. I am fearful of starting the carb cravings so I have avoided them altogether. Maybe I am just being paranoid. I just want this to work so badly.

My calorie intake ranges betwen 850 and 1000 most days. If I go out to eat, it can go as high a 1100 calories. So far, I am losing consistently. I have increased my physical activity to build muscle and keep my body burning calories at a decent rate.

Make sure you take a multi-Vitamin to help meet your nutritional needs. :)