Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bowel changes nearly 3 months post op?

I had my band placed on Feb 26 and before surgery I some issues but not many with a bowel "schedule". I'm writing in because I've noticed a change in my ability to be effective in my bathroom visits....sorry folks, just trying not to gross anyone out. I have the feeling like my abdomen is tight and uncomfortable. I have taken softeners and my next step is the full on laxative, but my question is "Does anyone else have a change in bowels since surgery"?:biggrin:

Yes my bowel movements have changed since the surgery. I'm more constipated now that ever. I have used the tasteless Fiber powder which works, but you have to use it at least 2 -3 times a day. My stomach feels uncomfortable too and that is a sign for me that I need to have a movement. I've taken M.O.M. and it works, but I do not want to take laxatives all the time in order to get relief.

I am about 5 months post op & before surgery I was very regular. Now I am lucky for once a week. My doctor suggested Milk of Magnesia & it does really help. I don't know if it gets better farther out from surgery - it hasn't yet for me though.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news-

I am 8 months out and also have had problems. I don't want to rely on laxitives either. I don't know how to word this without being gross. All I ever get is pebbles and sometimes rocks. Nothing complete. Does anyone have a constant pain/discomfort on their left side?? Above the port area and just below the ribs? I also tend to get episodes where I am real bloated and gassy. Sometimes I feel my stomach could burst. I have had to have an unfill. Felt instant relief. But gained back 6 pounds not good. I am getting very frustrated! :redface:

I got a tip from another banster months ago and it has helped me so much.

Vitafusion fiber gummies from target. They are a very soft gummie that pretty much melt as you chew and they taste great. I eat one gummie every morning and it really keeps me regular. The normal dosage is 2 daily, but one works good for me.

Miralax is a miracle for me- it works when nothing else would, you can take it regularly (no pun intended), and it doesn't create dependency.

I've noticed a big change too in bm's. I'm running right out to the store after work and getting some of the fiber Gummy chews!! Thanks for the advice!

8-1-10, 10:15 p.m.: Hello... "Aunt Suzie" here, from Princeton Junction, NJ... okay, so w/o grossing everyone out, I'll make this VERY EFFECTIVE SUGGESTION re: Constipation issues... this is what I personally do, and my doctor asked my permission to share this with his other bandsters, as he said it was brilliantly simple and effective (he himself has a LapBand and tried this!)... Here goes:

a) Everyday, I make it my business to stay hydrated...this means more than just water... I, personally, am a big fan of V8 juice, for it's nutritive value and it's flavor... I have an 8oz bottle every day.

:wub: Everyday, I open the V8 Juice, take two short sips, then I pour a scant-capful of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in it, shake it up a bit, and finish it (takes me 20-30 minutes to take in an 8oz beverage).

c) EVOO is good for your heart, a quality brand one is almost flavorless, and a little goes a llllong way in relieving constipation issues... within two days, you'll realize that it's easier to "go"...muchMUCH less strain.

d) Whilst you might not "go" EVERY day, you might go every other day, which is far more regular... understand?? GOOD LUCK everyone... this is one of the reasons I so appreciate LapBand Talk.com ... a terrific resource indeed!! Aunt Suzie

8-1-10, 10:15 p.m.:

Hello... "Aunt Suzie" here, from Princeton Junction, NJ... okay, so w/o grossing everyone out, I'll make this VERY EFFECTIVE SUGGESTION re: Constipation issues... this is what I personally do, and my doctor asked my permission to share this with his other bandsters, as he said it was brilliantly simple and effective (he himself has a LAP-BAND® and tried this!)... Here goes:

a) Everyday, I make it my business to stay hydrated...this means more than just water... I, personally, am a big fan of V8 juice, for it's nutritive value and it's flavor... I have an 8oz bottle every day.

:wub: Everyday, I open the V8 Juice, take two short sips, then I pour a scant-capful of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in it, shake it up a bit, and finish it (takes me 20-30 minutes to take in an 8oz beverage).

c) EVOO is good for your heart, a quality brand one is almost flavorless, and a little goes a llllong way in relieving constipation issues... within two days, you'll realize that it's easier to "go"...muchMUCH less strain.

d) Whilst you might not "go" EVERY day, you might go every other day, which is far more regular... understand?? GOOD LUCK everyone... this is one of the reasons I so appreciate Lap Band Talk.com ... a terrific resource indeed!! :thumbup:Aunt Suzie

Good to know Aunt Suzie!!! Will try that ASAP! LOVE IT!

698f71d2b61052e_black.gif

I like V8 too, when I drink a little can (low sodium) it gets things moving even without the oil....

OMG i just took a bathroom break (thanks to my M.O.M.) and was gonna ask this same question..my poor sore hiney thanks you all for the advice..since i dont like the taste of the v-8 i guess ill try the fiber gummies...YOU GUYS ROCK

I had my surgery almost 13 months ago. I've had problems with my bm's ever since. Really though I had some problems before. Right now my regime is Miralax every morning. Also, I take 4 stool softeners per day (2 in morning and 2 in evening). I also make sure I get at least 2 bottles of Water per day. This works for me most of the time although to be honest, sometimes I still have to resort to Milk of Mag. YUCK!!! I hate Milk of Mag. so much! I get an upset tummy everytime I take it but it does work. My doctor also told me I could take the Miralax 2 times a day if I need to. I might have to try that next. We'll see.