Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the lap band on Monday, and I really did research this (actually waffled about it for a couple of years)... but now I am post op, and worried it will not work for me. I am worried I should maybe have chosen the Roux-en-Y because it works even if you overeat... and I am afraid I may have overestimated my ability to stay on a diet.

I thought when I was banded that I would feel differently, that I wouldn't be obsessing about food, and thinking about what I would like to be eating.... but I am. I want pizza, chips, hell I even want salad... at this point I would eat anything! I have been on a liquid diet since Sunday, and I am starving!!!

I am resisting temptation ... just because I dont want any problems, but I am beginning to wonder if this is going to work for me. I guess I thought it would be easier after the lap band. I thought if everyone else could do it so could I...now I am not too sure.

I have my band put in place on May 3rd and I feel the same way. Then my doctor told me Tuesday that the band is not working yet because I have not had a fill yet so - no wonder I am hungry - same size stomach - trying to fill with liquid.< /p>

I have tons of friends who've had RNY--and they still have the head hunger issues, too. And they have to make significant, significant dietary changes. Far greater, IMO, than what is required of us. Yes, the loss is initially more dramatic--but over time, we even out.

Buyer's remorse is not unusual---but know that it crosses surgical boundaries. No matter what WLS surgery you'd chosen, you would be having these same concerns. You'd be battling head hunger, and second-guessing yourself.

Only with RNY, your insides would be much more rearranged, and it would be much harder to eat. (They do have the advantage, in early months especially, of feeling no hunger. But that does not translate into not wanting to eat, or not struggling with food decisions.)

So, set the "shouldas" aside, and get busy making sure you are a success with the band. Successful RNYers require profound dietary change if they want to have a healthy loss (visit bariatriceating.com for some perspective)---so there's no greener grass to be found.

You spent a lot of time researching and made an educated decision. Now it's time to make it work for you.

Good luck!

ETA: I have to agree--it becomes much, much easier as you approach restriction. When you are no longer hungry all the time, it is a huge burden lifted.

My best friend was banded in 2007.. Shes down to 150 from 268. Even now she continues to batttle head hunger. Obesity is a disease.. the band doesnt cure it. Things will however get easier. And once you get your fill you can eat the things you crave.. Just in SMALL quantities. And if you feel your going to overeat.. use smaller plates..smaller bowls.. take SMALL bites.. put your fork down inbetween bites. It takes your brain 20 mins to process that your full. I sometimes will use my sons baby spoons to eat with.. it actually REALLY helps@!

The first week was hell for me once I got off the Clear Liquids it was much better. I too did not realize the cravings do not go away. You do have to watch what you eat or you will gain weight. But it will get better, trust me. I was banded on March 30 and have lost 23 lbs so far. One thing I noticed that amazed me was that I had the biggest sweet tooth and now I do not have any cravings for sweets. That I thought was really weird. But hang in there it will get better once people start saying "wow you look great, I can tell already you have lost weight" it will give you the strength to go on!

Ditto to what everyone said, Especially Besty, as usual :biggrin:

If you want to succeed and think you can, you will.

If you don't think you will succeed, you won't. It's all up to you.

I have not been banded yet, however I do realize that hunger is a head game...I am not actually hungry most of the time when I have cravings...I am to the point where I realize that I need to take control of my eating habits before I get too unhealthy..

I have always been active, love the gym, just eat the wrong things..(chocolate and ice cream are my weaknesses!) so I plan on using the band as a tool. I think that I will be successful in doing this as can you! I don't see the band or Gastric Bypass as quick fixes..which I think a lot of people preceive these things to be...

You HAVE to want the change, you can't expect the tools that are out there to do it for you. They must be used in combination with changes to grant you success!

Hang in there and realize that you have made a very profound decision in your life to make a change for the better! It's time for you to take control! Don't get discouraged..fight the head game!