Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aetna requires 2 years of records..

Hey guys!

I have a concern: I understand that the insurance company, Aetna, requires 2 yrs of documentation of my weight and such. The last time I've been to the doctor was 07 and 08 when I was pregnant. Would that work? I also have documentation from my personal trainer with my weight, measurements and BMI from 09. Would that documentation work??

Aetna approved me with my post-partum weights (in 2004 and 2007) plus my weight in November 2009, my weight at my intial consult in December 2009 and my weight when I started the 3-month plan in January 2010.

My surgeon chose to leave out my record showing my weight in 2008, as it was less than what it needed to be.

I was afraid they wouldn't take my post-partum and pregnancy weights, especially as the records show that I lost a lot of weight between pregnancies, but they approved me.

I did include an essay detailing my long-term history battling my weight, and was VERY motivated during my 3-month multidisciplinary diet. My insurance contact says that both of those likely made a big difference when the director reviewed my application.

Thank you so much! That makes me feel so much better! I did plan on writing a letter explaining my weight loss attempts. :smile2: Unfortunatly, I just don't have a medical paper trail. For a curvy girl, I am active and rarely get sick. I never had any reason for doctor visits. :smile: One other question, how did you go about getting your letter of recommendation? Thanks for your help! :)

Actually, I was approved without it, but I have to get it before my surgery date. I'm just going to call up our family doc and ask for it. *laugh*

I didn't even have doctor records for my pregnancies, actually. I had both my kids with midwives, so I hadn't seen an MD at all until 2008, and we didn't even submit that year, just late 2009 and early 2010 (Nov/Dec/Jan).

Like you, I'm generally very healthy, so I hadn't had any reason to go to the doctor in years. We did not expect me to be approved on the first try... not me, not my surgeon, and not my insurance contact. It was totally a surprise!

Sticking with this restricted diet (I am basically already eating like I'm banded) has been HARD -- the hardest stretch I think I've ever done, but it's paid off in both an unexpected approval and a great head-start on my weight loss. And I'm not going to be facing the shock of having to develop totally new habits post-op. Just have to get myself off carbonation and stop drinking during meals, and I'll have the diet aspect of post-banding totally in line. :smile2:

I have Aetna too. Mine did not require two years of records, they only wanted my highest weight two years ago at about this same time. My doctor just included that weight in one of my diet reports.

I also have Aetna and they asked my primary care for the last 2 years history. He did have it and faxed it over. Now, if you dont, have you done Weight watchers, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig or anything else? Because I also had all of the receipts, books, etc to prove I have been battling this. My nurse at Aetna told me they needed the letter to prove I didnt gain it all within the past year and this was a "quick fix" to losing it. I have been battling it forever and by no mean think it is a "quick fix" and was kinda surpised she said it. But anyway, I'd send them that stuff if you have it too! Good luck!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches