Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need To Do This Ok Now Im Nervous

Hi All I Am Currently Waiting For My Date And I Am Nervous To Say The Least, Ive Never Had Any Surgery Before And I Dont Know What To Expect Accept Pain. Can Anyone Ease My Mind Or At Least Give Me The Facts Thanks Roger-fl

Guest John

Roger,

Congratulations on becoming part of the Band Family !!!!!!!!

I was just a scared as you are. I never had surgery either. I was banded last Monday 11/07/05. It has been 5 days and I have not used my pain medication that was prescribed by the doctor. I did take a little tylenol twice. That isn't too bad. Just take it easy, drink your fluids and walk around. Don't over do it but you want to move around a bit at a time. Please look to this site everyone is supportive and happy to answer any questions you have.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

John

Hey i'm in the same boat. My date is friday...nervousness is expected or so i'm told

The only thing that was painful for me was the gas afterwards. The incisions didn't even hurt. I went in at 6:30am, surgery at 8:30. The nurses were so nice, came in weighed me, gave me my gown, put in my IV, got my CPap ready to go (for sleep Apnea), and eventually wheeled me down to the operating room. The doctor came in after the surgery, told me everything went fine gave me a picture of the band (all of which I really don't remember, it's good to have someone there so that they do). Pain meds were great! Walked that evening, watched TV, slept and went home in the am. All was fine with the exception of the gas, which was bad for about a week. GasX helped as did walking. Wasn't hungry, through the liquid stage but was thankful for mushies and solids. You'll do great, it is actually easier than you would think. Good LUck!

thanks everyone, ive just heard the horror stories and thought it would be best to come here for acurate information, im still nervous, decided to go ahead with this process since i could always back out, but time is getting closer now and i have come to far to back out now, but im still more than nervous, so thanks for all your information, ROGER-FL

Roger,icon14.gif

Congratulations on becoming part of the Band Family !!!!!!!!

I was just a scared as you are. I never had surgery either. I was banded last Monday 11/07/05. It has been 5 days and I have not used my pain medication that was prescribed by the doctor. I did take a little tylenol twice. That isn't too bad. Just take it easy, drink your fluids and walk around. Don't over do it but you want to move around a bit at a time. Please look to this site everyone is supportive and happy to answer any questions you have.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

John icon7.gif

What pain meds did they perscribe you John?

thanks everyone i likethis site, appears to be very helpful,seems as if i have so many questions but in dont know whether to just ask in here or start a new thread i appreciate any help. this band thing has me kinda wrecked lol

It's usually easier to start a new thread for each question or two that you have. Different people have experienced different things, and when you show a title of your question, those of us who have been through that, will be much more likely to answer. You're not limited to the number of threads you can post, and really, all of us hear want to help you with any of your concerns.

If you don't feel like posting all of those threads, you can certainly PM me and ask away. I've been banded for over 3 years and I doubt if there is anything I haven't been through - minus real horror stories, thank God.

What part of Florida are you from? I live in Miami, so maybe we're even neighbors.

Lots of really special people here, non-judgemental, caring, compassionate, knowledgable and eagar to help everyone.

Good luck, and remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Keep us posted.

Cindy

Everyone is different, I for one was in alot of pain after the surgery b/c of the gas. But by day 3 I was feeling so much better, day 4 I was shopping (not alot but in the grocery store). I also was off of the pain meds after day 2. My friend who had the surgery was up and running (figuretively speaking) with no pain and back to work in 2 weeks.

Here's a link to the very same question with details

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11616

Ok, here is the BEST advice I got when I went through this. I'd never had any sort of surgery ever before. Nothing, nada. I've been blessed that way.

I also know I am kind of a weiner about pain. I just am.

So after hearing everyone here say "oh I never took pain meds" or "Oh I only took them one day" I personally tried to be a hero like that. And guess what....I got into trouble. I got into pain so bad I could hardly tolerate it and it was hard to "come back" from that.

That was when my sister sat me down and gave me the pain lecture. GET IN FRONT OF THE PAIN. Meaning, take pain meds BEFORE the pain gets bad. They told me this in the hospital but I didn't listen. My sister giving me a stern lecture worked. They give you meds for a reason. Only YOU know how much you need. Don't let ANYONE here tell you that you don't need them or shouldn't take them. Use them. Get ahead of the pain. When it starts to twinge, evaluate the pain, then dose up so it doesn't get bad.

Now, all that being said...you get some goooood pain meds in the hospital and you really shouldn't ever be in bad pain as long as you are keeping up with the meds.

I had that little morphine pen thing with the button I could hit to help with pain and it was AMAZING how well it worked. Just a little bump with the button and I was all good. Not all druggy or out of it, just happy and not in pain.

All these worries are completely normal. You are about to do something REALLY scary. It's important to just "cowboy up" for what lies ahead. You have to stay strong to get through the maze ahead.

And your LBT family is here to support you!!!!