Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing wt. since surgery April 23, 08

I am my own worst enemy. I really am. Hopefully doing weight watchers will help. I have had four fills, and I think I am at the right level since I can't eat a lot at one sitting. My problem is that I will graze all day long, and my sweet tooth doesn't help. I thought I had conquered it, but obviously I didn't.

I am going to start checking in here every day and hopefully be inspired by everyone else's success!

I was banded 10/08. I have NO SIGNIFICANT weight loss, in fact, I had weight gain. I'm ticked off as I was 20 pounds lighter before I went into surgery. I am in and out of the surgeons office and it's just frustrating. Totally in the same boat. Bleh. Half tempted to tell him to take it out or lock me down so I can do nothing but drink.

Please don't take this as anything but curiosity, but...how is that even possible? I have been one of the slowest losers on the Lap-Band planet, but I follow "the rules" and do what I'm supposed to do on a daily basis. I plateau for MONTHS at a time, but eventually still lose.

I understand that for some people the band doesn't work, which is why I'm curious. Are you following the diet plan? Are you exercising and getting your Protein as required? If you have a band or not, if you are doing these things (and not eating around the band) you will have lost weight, period.

I just wonder if you are kidding yourself and expecting the band to do all the work. We all know this is NOT EASY and takes a significant amount of determination and commitment.

I really recommend exercise. I had surgery in 9/09 and after losing just 15 pounds, I gained it all back over the holidays, because I had no restriction and was just frustrated and depressed over the whole process. I started working out in January and lost zero pounds (at least I didn't gain), but I felt so much better and my whole outlook changed. I felt empowered and motivated, I was inspired to make better food choices and I felt healthier, less aches and pains, less fatigue.

Now after 4 fills, I'm finally starting to feel restriction and "get" that I have to work with the band to see progress and although the weight is not coming off as fast as I'd like, I know I'm on the right path to lose weight.

I think it's easy to get depressed reading this board because it seems as though most people here lose a ton of weight in a short period of time, but I think the reality for most people with the band is much different.

I think I didn't realize I had to be on a diet for the rest of my life. I even told my doc that was one of the reasons I wanted to have this surgery, to not be on a perpetual diet. I guess i thought that by restricting food amounts I would lose weight. Well, obviously, I was wrong.

I do think that I need an adjustment, maybe a slight unfill. I called today but it is a huge inconvenience to have this done. My doc is only in one afternoon a week (which is a day I can't miss work) and I have to have a consultation first and then another appointment for the adjustment. So 2 appointments. Is this the same for others? Are 2 appointments necessary to have an adjustment made?

LiveLife- I think that's what surprised me too about this surgery. I didn't think it was a magic pill, but I didn't realize that I would still have to be on a diet forever. I thought (and I was led to believe) that the band would prevent me from eating as much, and that I'd be able to lose a pound a week due to not being able to eat as much as I had before.

In order to lose weight with the band, we have to eat smaller portions and not snack-- but those are the same things we are supposed to do to lose weight without the band, KWIM?

I guess I just thought the band would help me more than it has. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will always be on weight watchers or some other diet.

Have you been on WW since being banded? We're starting a WW at work program soon that Im thinking about doing, but I don't know if I could eat enough?

I find with my band, I guess I am on a diet, technically, since I eat 1200-1500 calories. This is what most healthy diets suggest. The difference since being banded, is that I am SATISFIED with that amount of food, instead of feeling like I am starving.

I think WW works well with the band. Most WW points will put you in the 1200-1500 range to start, depending on your weight. Then, as you weight drops, so will your points. Try it, it can't hurt. If you find you cannot eat the foods that you should, even if you are chewing carefully, then I would try to get that small unfill. Good luck. WW works for most people, especially if you have the support of others around you doing the program also.

Have you been on WW since being banded? We're starting a WW at work program soon that Im thinking about doing, but I don't know if I could eat enough?

I just started WW this week. Up until now, I'd just been counting calories. It's pretty much the same thing, but I have some friends who are doing WW, so I thought the peer support might help.

This week Ive been having a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch with lots of Water and iced tea in between. Also eating Protein for dinner. Im down about 3 lbs this week. And no problems with hunger. I was trying to eat fish yesterday though and got stuck. I excused myself to go the the restroom because I thought it was coming up, but after I walked for a few seconds, the feeling passed and I was fine. Does anyone have that happen? Sit-stuck, walk around and it passes?

I've had that happen. Just make sure you are taking tiny bites and chew chew chew. Chew it until it's pretty much a liquidy consistency and you won't have that happen. I thought I wouldn't be able to eat fish because of that problem. The first time I tried I slimed and then some of it came back up. I waited a few minutes, took a smaller bite and chewed it like crazy and then swallowed and then I was able to finish the rest of my portion.

I guess I view the change in my diet as not a "diet" but making better food choices. I'm no angel, I still like my occasional potato chip and sweets, but I try to limit them if I can. Some days I get the munchies and tend to graze, other days I'm pretty good. But overall I reach for the flavored rice cakes or granola or a 100 cal snack than something rich or my old junk food standbys.

But the changes I've made overall I think contributed to my weight loss and that is trying to consistently eat better foods, exercise 4-6x/week (whether it's walking, elliptical, biking, hiking, using the strength machines at the Y - whatever) and try and stay busy.

You know the old saying about insanity - is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I try to keep that in mind. I want a better life, I deserve it, and I'm going to do what it takes to get it.

Again, if you're too tight, you may be doing yourself more harm than good. When I was too tight I didn't want any taken out for fear that I would be able to eat more. In reality, I can eat about the same amount as before the slight unfill, but I don't slime, pb, or having near the problems with tightness as before. It's not as uncomfortable to eat as before and I can tolerate more foods.

As far as your physician and his practice, it does sound like you could get better support elsewhere. And the consult plus another visit for an adjustment sounds ludicrous to me. I've never had to do this and I don't know of many who do. I'm sure around Mishawaka there are other bariatric practices that would be more than happy to provide your aftercare and can also direct you to some support groups. We kind of have an ad hoc group that meets once a month around here - affiliated with my surgeon's practice but you don't have to be banded by him to be involved in the support groups. Maybe that would be an option for you also in your area. And when you are at the office - pin them down and ask about support groups in your area. If they put you off again - move on. Your aftercare is so important to your success. I truly believe that. It's nice to speak with other bandsters and have others you can talk to that understand what it's like and the struggles involved.

I wish you the very best...

I agree, this is a great stream of notes, it's been very helpful. You can see from my signature line that I've been in the same boat....absolutely at a stand. I had gotten to the point of not wanting to eat for fear of getting stuck and running to the bathroom. However, one of my greatest lessons (which I knew but didn't listen) eat smaller bites and chew, chew, chew, and chew some more!!

I need meal/menu suggestions (especially lean proteins). Here are some of my current favorites: tuna w/ a little fat free mayo, cottage cheese, hummus, scrambled egg whites, Protein Bars, chocolate Protein Shakes.< /p>

Thanks!