Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band coming out.

I had my band installed 5/20/2005 – I must say it has been a rough ride for me. About 3 months after my band was installed, I had my port removed due to post-op infection. About 3 months after that I had to go in for wound debridement – I then spent about 1 year with a open abdominal wound.

Good side – start wait 410. Day of surgery 370, today 245 – to go 45 pounds.

I have never had a functioning port, as it was removed, and today I went to the see the surgeon who told me he believes either the band has eroded, or the tubing that was left behind after the port removed is the cause of the problem – but either way I need to surgery to determine the final cause.

He believes that the band will be out by Friday. While this is somewhat bittersweet for me, I am very nervous, as my previous post-op experience was hell, then the following 18 months was hell, and even though I have lost a good amount of weight without a port, the diet, and eating has not been fun – livable, but not fun.

I am concerned about the repeat of post-op complications, and I am concerned about putting on the weight that I lost – and becoming unhealthy. I have UHC, and here is a laugh, my BMI is too low for them to pay to put a band back in, so I have to get unhealthy again to have it done – what a joke there.

Anyway, I am interested in hearing from anyone that has had the band out for erosion, what kind of post-op recuperation time was experienced, and in general what can I expect?

Wow, you've really had a rough go with your band. I don't have any of the experiences that you've had, but I just wanted to mention that the fact that you're so much closer to a healthier weight should make for your recovery easier. I'll pray for you that you don't have another issue with infection.

Take care and let us all know how you make out.

Sue

I was banded last October and in Feb found band erosion ( had no idea I had it). I had my band removed the same month and since then have been doing well.

I had no complications with the surgery, or after. Even with the band gone I found I was never hungry and still got thing stuck because my stomach shape had changed. After 1 month I got a balloon placed in my stomach. Since the day of my band removal to the balloon placement ( 1 month) I didn't gain a pound!

I wish you the best in your recovery. Hopefully things will go smoothly.

Didnt your doctor do an endoscope exam to see if the band was actually eroded?

Thanks for your details. With regards to the endo he recomended not doing one as surgery is required to determine if the tubing is causing the issue or it's the band - so either way he has to go in....

Well it is out - and I am glad at this point. I had the surgery last Friday and it was somewhat worse than the doctors had thought.

The catheter that goes from the band to the port, which was not connected to a port, was loose in my abdomen, and had poked a hole in the bottom of my stomach, as bad as that sounds, that was the good part – since that was how the surgeon was able to find the actual band.

The surgeon said he was able to remove the catheter from the bottom of my stomach, and trace it around to where the band actually was. The entire band had totally eroded into my stomach, and was embedded pretty badly inside the stomach. He had to make a descent size incision into the stomach to get the band out, and then reclose the incision. So now I have no band, am pushing $30k out of pocket plus months of lost time for work.

The good side, I did lose a lot weight – and now I have to figure out how to keep it off by myself. I have a JP drain in for the next week, Clear Liquids for the next week, see the surgeon next Monday and will know what is next then.

Post op complication. Pretty bad infection set in, and the doctor had to re-open the full wound to drain. The wound is 5.5 CM's deep 1.75 CM's wide and 4 CM's long. Daily wound care.

I am still on clear liquids 8 days post op - not feeling hungry, and not so worried about that right now, just want to heal and get back with my life.

Luckylimey:

I hope you feel better soon and get back to your normal, healthy life.

Take care and keep us posted.

Sue

So sorry you are having these issues with the band. I hate to hear it when someone else has to have it removed. I too had to have mine removed. I did really well with my band and ended up having "esophagus" problems. The doctor took my band out and my BMI was not large enough for another surgery also. That doctor told me not to worry, I would gain my weight back and then be qualified... Hmm... Well, he was correct. I have been depressed after the loss of my band and I have gained all but 30 pounds back. Never feel full again and am at wits end. Cannot get another surgery now because I lost my insurance and cannot afford self pay. My heart goes out to you and to what you will go through. I pray you are stronger than I. I miss my band and miss my smaller body. Try hard to not gain even a pound or it just seems all of it comes right on back. I will keep you in my prayers.... :sad:Sherry

Now I am 2 years post band removal - i have gained back 65 LBS - and am hating life. I think back on all the pain i went through with the band, and how much it impacted my life, my family, and the time I lost with my kids - and i look at myself now and am realizing that I just cannot do this on my own. Over the past year I have done weight watchers, The Ducan diet, Atkins, even went so far as to try that gimmicky sensa - I am petrified to go through what I went through with the band - but I need to be able to get some life back again.

I have been researching the sleeve - and would really like some feedback from bandsters that have gone to the sleeve... Any advice would be appreciated.

I

I am currently still banded but am having issues. Saw my doc 2day & he thinks it's eroded & needs 2 come out. I lost 85!lbs, gained 10 back & am very very close 2 my goal. I asked him his opinion regarding a revision 2 the sleeve, he's all for it.

My hubby on the other hand was sleeved a couple of months ago, has done well, no complications & is very happy w/his progress.

I don't know many sleevers but they all seem 2 be pleased. U may want 2 go to the counterpart forum for sleeves. I'm sure u'll (we'll) find goo-gobs of former bandsters to sleeves.

Good Luck 2 u & may God ease your path just enough for u 2 make it thru this.

Celeste

It is good of you to come back and give us an update. So often on this site people post who are excited that they are getting their bands out because for some reason they could not cope with them and they are always convinced that they will be able to keep the weight off all by themselves. Your experience shows that this is not true.

Sorry that you have had a bad experience and I hope that you are able to find a way ahead and success soon.

The best place to find help from people that have revised from bands to sleeves is over on the vertical sleeve talk forum. They have a section there especially for these type of posts. You are unlikely to find a lot of help here because once people have their bands out they don't seem to stick around.

Please keep us updated, we would love to hear about your future success.