Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going nowhere over two months

Dear all, I was banded on February 11th and have had one fill, and currently have 8.5cc in a 14 cc band. I initially lost 7 lbs in my post-band diet, but have now put that back on and am the same weight as when I had the bandd done. It's become the dreaded subject - "how much have you lost after paying $9000?" - "er... nothing".

Am I totally unusual in this? I heard that sometimes it takes a couple of fills to get where you need to be. When I had my first fill, I felt restriction that day - they forgot to tell me to follow a special diet after the fill for 2 days, and so when I tried to eat things that day, I found I could only manage a mouthful - and hoped that that was really going to be what it was going to be like from then on. But the next day, I was fine and back to normal. I can eat anything - anything at all - in large quantities.

They told me not to count calories or WW points, but just concentrate on the texture of the food - as long as I was not having runny slider food, I should forget calories. This is not working well for me - I am going to rejoin WeightWatchers on Tuesday and start counting the points again - but then again, if I had known that it was a WW diet that I would be on, then I would not have paid the $9000. The nutritionist suggested as a snack something like cheese and crackers - as it is the right "texture" - well I can easily eat half a pound of cheese on crackers in one sitting - as a "snack". Last night -admittedly it was only the second fast food meal I have had since February 11th, I ordered Special Curry, a portion of chips (=french fries) and Special Fried Rice (Yangzhou Fried Rice) - and ate the lot straight off with no discomfort.

I know people will tell me I should know not to eat half a pound of cheese on crackers as a snack - but the whole point for me is Portion Control and appetite control, and if it comes down to just willpower for me, then it is not worth a cent.

Am I unusual, or do I just need another fill and then it will be all right? I see people on this site doing so well, and I would like to be like them!

It took 3 fills for me to start having restriction, you need to make an appointment with your Dr. I physically can not overeat. When I have eaten about a cup of food (or less depending on what it is) my body gives me an almost pain in my sternum, if I take one more bite I have pain, I mean real, I cant take this kind of pain.

I totally disagree with the "just concentrate on the texture of the food - as long as I was not having runny slider food, I should forget calories" school of thought, I paid $10k to lose weight not just casually go along. I like your WW idea or I use Lose it on my iphone, others use daily plate or other tracking on the web but the whole point is you have to learn a new way of eating to get different results.

But the first step has to be restriction to stop the hungry feeling. That is what the band is all about and your right without the fills the band isn't worth squat!

I'm so sorry for your frustration. I too was banded on Feb 11th. I have been having a different experience then you are but perhaps thats because of the instruction you were given. They sound vague and confusing.

My dietican told me to concentrate on chewing my food well, taking 20-30 minutes to eat a meal and only consuming between 800-1200 calories per day. It's also a must that within my meals I must intake 60-70 grams of Protein either by shakes or food and at least 6 glasses of Water. I too lost a far amount at first but now I'm at about 1-2 pounds a week with my second fill in 2 weeks.

WW is probably a great idea until you get some restriction and may give you different ideas on things to eat.

I thought I would share what I ate yesterday to do a comparison and maybe give you some ideas. Here you go.....

Breakfast- 1/4 c sliced strawberries, one fried egg and one piece of toast.

Snack- Lemon yougart lowfat

Lunch-1/2c Fake crab salad-Surmi, celery, red onion and yellow pepper and a little mayo and ff sour cream. 6 Whole wheat crackers and a bunch of grapes.

Snack-small Protein Bar

Dinner- 1 cup chicken fajata's w/o the wrap. 1/2 baked potato, 5 grilled aparagus. I wait about 20 minutes and have a small glass of milk.

Then I close the kitchen no more food just Water or coffee the rest of the night.

It did take me some time to get used to it but found that mixing it up with food choices really helps.

Just take your time and success will come with time.

I'm 3 months out of surgery and it took me 4 fills to reach restriction...even though I've had restriction now for a few weeks, learning to eat again has been tough. I still reach for food I know I can't handle, try to eat it, and get the pain that I knew was coming...perhaps my brain has short-term memory loss about how much the pain from eating the wrong foods or overeating causes?!

Be kind to yourself, though. Luckily, I haven't had any significant weight gain since the surgery. I've gone up and down a few pounds here and there (especially during Spring Break), but I've maintained a constant downward trend. When you've had enough fills, there will be a COMPLETE change in how/what you eat...even if your brain doesn't accept it. I'm still fighting with my brain/eyes on a daily basis...but I've recommitted to myself today and plan on having a good journey from here!

I'm right there with you only I was banded last October and I paid 18K. I wish people would stop asking!! Isn't it obvious something isn't working as planned? Do you have to rub my nose in it?

I so need a fill. If I can eat a foot long sub sandwich without any problems I guess 5 cc's in a 10 cc band is not restriction. Oddly I can't eat french fries at all. I feel as if my friends who do know look at me and wonder why I'm not losing after paying $$$$. Going for another fill next week. Onederland seems more like dreamland. I just wanted to get down to 190 for my graduation next month. Totally sucks and I got banded last August!!!

From day 43 post-op onward our group reccomends 800-1200 cal, 22-33g fat, 72-105g Protein per day. It's a range because they prescribe an individual diet for each person. Obviously a 6 foot man will have different nutritional needs than a 5 ft woman. The reality is you have to eat less calories and exercise to lose (but we all know that). And I'm sure most of us were hoping with the band we would be "released" form the constant counting calories/points. Untill you reach restriction, it's up to you to monitor yourself. I would have never known this pre-op if I had not been reading these message boards because my surgeon didn't tell me. My suggestion would be to contact your diatician for advice and a diet prescription to get you by untill you have restriction.

i got banded feb 9th, once the swelling went down i was able to eat pretty much anything, i did follow the post op diet till week 4, then i went slowly went back to my old eathing habbits. i got my first fill 2 weeks ago, that didnt make a difference.. she said i will feel restriction when i reach 12 ccs, she only put 5 in, so im hoping 1 or 2 more fills i will have some sort of restriction. I'm just scared that i have been over eating and have stretched out my pouch or something. cuz i really can put away the food. but by reading these posts i knew the first 6 mos or so is all me (diet and exercise) until i get enough fills for restriction. so just hang in there, stick to your diet and exercise and before you know it, you will have enough restriction.

Hang in there! I agree with all the above posts, the band will work once you get some fills. For me it was the third fill that did the trick. However, I followed the rules to the letter even though I didn't have restriction. I suggest you concentrate on eating the right foods (high protien low fat, low carb) even if your portions are large. You will find with restriction you simply can't eat large portions anymore.

I was banded Nov. 17th and have JUST hit the 25lb mark. I wish someone had told me at the beginning just how slow this could go. Until you have sufficient restriction, you will be able to eat just as much as before. I think I expected this amazing change right after surgery, but when bandster hell kicked in (up through the first 3 fills), I could eat whatever.

Anyway, I go for my 5th fill in 2 weeks and I feel like this will be "the one" for me. I have pretty good restriction now, but I don't think I am quite at my "sweet spot" yet. At 5 months out, I thought I would have lost a lot more weight. I guess slow and steady is better, I just want it faster!

Good Luck. Don't give up. It WILL get better.

Hi!

The first 4 months, I lost a total of 7 lbs - really. I just wasn't restricted at all - until my 3rd restriction. Over the past 2 mths, I've lost 20 lbs - much better. I still can eat my weight in slider foods (mashed potatoes, Soup, stuffin, baked potatoes) but not much "real" food - w2hich is what my doc wants me to eat. I find that I do have to have Snacks throughout the day (3 meals a day is what my doc recommends) cuz I find myself getting hungry after about 3 hrs.

You'll get there, I promise. I know that 2 months seems like an eternity, but it's really not in the scheme of your life. I had hopes of losing the 100 lbs I have to lose in the 1st yr - well, that's not gunna happen! I've only lost 27 lbs in 6 mths! I just started working out at the gym 2 weeks ago, so I'm hoping that will help.

It could take a couple more fills to get you to the right restriction. It took me 9cc in a 14 cc band to feel anything at all. Now If I eat the wrong things (bread in particular, and I keep doing it!) or too much, I vomit.

Good luck to you. You'll do it - not all of us on here have lost 60 lbs in 6 mths!

Blessings!

Marci

I was banded on Jan 4 and had my first fill in early Feb with no fills since. I think I was over filled the first time because no matter what I ate, it came back up. For the past two weeks I feel like I am in a good spot, I feel restriction and know when to stop eating when the pain comes. As others say one more bit and then I am in trouble. I have started to lose about a half pound every day or every other day for the past few weeks. Just seeing something come off helps. My suggestion is either a fill or possible an unfill. I wished I would have unfilled but I didn't know what it should feel like in order to make the determination. Hang in there everyone it is a process. Slow and easy.

I know people will tell me I should know not to eat half a pound of cheese on crackers as a snack - but the whole point for me is Portion Control and appetite control, and if it comes down to just willpower for me, then it is not worth a cent.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. It gets tons better as you approach restriction. Even when you're not quite there yet, there is a huge difference as you tiptoe closer and closer.

That said, the "just pay attention to texture" advice is inadequate. You do--and will need to continue to---need to pay attention to the quality of food you eat. It will cross a broad array of textures. At this point, you may not yet be ready for it all, but eventually, it should include lean Protein, a variety of vegetables, legumes, heart-healthy fats, and fruits and whole grains in moderation.

Your band will help control the amount you can eat in one sitting. It will do nothing for the emotional aspects of this journey. That can really be the hard part, too! But again, when you achieve restriction, it helps so, so much.

The fact is, you can stomp your feet all you want about not WANTING to exert willpower---but if you want to succeed, you have to. For now, you have to use willpower to ensure that you don't overeat during this limbo phase. Later, you will have to exert it until making healthier food choices is a habit.

I'm really sorry your doctor's office hasn't been more helpful! Mine gives each patient a handbook on CD-ROM with very clear, very concrete guidelines. It's kind of nice not to have to devote much thought to it!

I'd skip Weight Watchers and grab a copy of the South Beach diet. Its principles--especially phases I and II--are very closely aligned with the recommendations of all the major health-promoting agencies.

Weight Watchers can be done very healthily, but that is not a given. And few of its leaders have adequate background to help you tailor for your needs.

Well, I now have a fill booked for Friday 16th. They told me on the phone that with a 14cc band I won't feel restriction until 10 or 11 cc are in there! And I have 8.25cc in there now, and each fill will only put 1cc or 1.5cc in -so I could get restriction this Friday or if not, definitely the next time...

It's a real rollercoaster ride emotionally. I suppose those of you who had it paid on their insurance have a gentler rollercoaster ride - me, I'm thinking all the time about the money I paid!

Betsy, the WW meeting is near my house and takes place tomorrow, so that is why I am going there. But I will keep in mind that the wW diet could allow you to eat many slider foods - I will try to stick to the right stuff.