Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous...can you walk through what happens day of surgery (both before and after)

I'm just getting a bit nervous and curious as to what to expect.

Well my memory's a little shaky, but here goes,

Monday, AM Drove myself to hospital, checked in at 5:30, too early to have anyone else be inconvenienced, IMO.

Checked in, got put in one of those little rooms, had all the vitals checked, put on the little gown, put my clothes, (jogging pants, sweat shirt, tennis shoes, and undies) in a bag, then hopped back on the bed.

7:00 sitting back watching the Today Show, in comes mom and DH.

7:40, nurse inserts IV

7:45, I'm wheeled away.

9:30, wake up in room, legs in shackles, just kidding, those blow up things that keep you from getting blood clots

In and out of it through out the morning and early afternoon.

Family visits, I sleep through most of their visit

Around 9:00 pm I decide it's time to walk, so I take a couple of tours down the hall and around the nurses station, pushing my little pole.

2:00 am up and walking again.

8:00 am down to xrays to have the swallow test

10:00 headed home, stopped to get coffee, then on the puter by early afternoon

Took it easy Tuesday

Wed, drove to grocery store, and got on with my new life.

Nervous is natural and normal, you'll do fine, good luck!

9/12/05-10:30am Arrived at BIDMC, waited about a half hour before being brought into pre-op, one of my anesthesiologist came and started my IV (BIDMC is a teaching hospital so although he got my IV in with no problems you could tell that he needed to practice more - he almost forgot to put on gloves - but he did a good job).

2pm still waiting to go into the OR - they were cleaning the room - must have been the cleanest one around when they were done. The anesthesiologist came and wheeled me into the OR - My main anesthesiologist is also my surgeons wife - Stephanie Jones, she was wonderful - she went out and talked with my Mom after surgery and told her that I wake up very well.

3:45ish Surgery went great - no problems, I lost 25lbs before so my doctor was able to fit me with the smaller band. Recovery - my first though "What in the hell have I done" I was in pain but that was quickly remedied.

5pm Into my room (my room mate had been taken to brain surgery and did not return until the next day) I rested comfortably - had a morphine pain button that I could dose myself with - Wonderful. Nothing by mouth until tomorrow but the mouth swabs are great for getting that dry feeling in your mouth and throat to go away.

Vitals ever hour or so - I don't remember what time I got up for my first walk - it must have been around 8pm. One lap down the hallway and back - the nurse said that was enough for day one.

9pm-7am I don't sleep well away from home and this was no exception I was away every hour and the night crawled by but I wasn't in any pain.

9/13/05-9am my IV stopped flowing - I was getting back in bed from a walk and bent my arm and that was it - no more IV. A nurse tried to start one in my hand but couldn't get it - no fluids and no morphine - but still OK.

10:30am Transport came to take me down to have the barium swallow done - still no IV but my nurse got me a couple of Morphine injections - oww. Fluoroscopy was awesome (barium is not as bad as the clear stuff they make you drink first - gag) I got to see my port and all my plumbing - pretty cool! Back to my room - more walking - went to the solarium to read. Got to have my 1oz of Water by mouth - it was sooo good.

12:30ish tolerated water well so I got to have 1oz strawberry CIB per hour. Not bad. Walking & resting. IV nurse came to start an IV - tried two additional locations with no luck - said that they should put a long line in my whole arm (I think not) - feeling like a human pin cushion. Got my catheter out - Yay.

1pm another IV nurse arrives - told her to go away that I was leaving in a few hours and she wasn't poking me anymore - she left.

3pm Peed - cleared to go home!!!

5pm chocolate CIB for dinner - Yum.

6pm My surgeon stops by to check on me. Told me I could stay and leave tomorrow. I had to convince him I was good to go (I needed to get some sleep and it wasn't going to happen there). He reluctantly agreed (Dr. Jones is so over protective - I like that in a doctor)

Home by 8pm exhausted, sore but happy. (all times are approximate as morphine has a way of making you a little fuzzy)

My day:

Went to hospital at 2 PM for 4 PM scheduled surgery

Changed into gown

Filled out paperwork

Got shot in tummy for blood clotting (it did not hurt)

Waited some more.

Waited some more.

Waited and waited...

Walked into operating room at 5:30 pm

Layed down on table, got my IV

They put those blow up boots on my legs

Got a nice cocktail and woke up a few hours later.

The gas pains hurt so they pumped alot of morphine in me

Went to my room around 9:30 pm

Next Day (couldn't sleep b/c of the obnoxious woman next to me)

5 am went pee

8 am had juice and Water

9 am had another shot in tummy for blood clotting (didn't hurt)

12 pm had juice and broth

Went home at 2 pm

Well, I have been banded so long, that I am sure things have changed a bit, but here goes:

Friend dropped me off at the hospital at around 6:30 AM. Went to check in, then my room, where I got to don one of those lovely gowns that open in the back without anything on underneath. Transport came and I was put on a gurney, wheeled into a room where a nurse put in an IV. Anestheseologist came in, what a jerk, the only thing he said was, "You know you might be on a respirator when you wake up!" , which of course terrified me, like I needed any help in that department! The nurse saw my face when he said that and after he left, she told me, don't worry, he says that to all the WLS patients, think he has an issue with obesity. Ya think!?!

The next thing I remember was a nurse calling my name and I just wanted her to go away, I was sleeping and didn't want to wake up yet. Anyway, I called my friend and let him know that I was out of surgery and okay. Went back to sleep and got up and into the chair in the room a few hours later. I realized the only thing that hurt, was where the port had been put in the muscle on my side when I got up from bed and sat down in the chair. While sitting in the chair, I realized hey, I'm not in pain, just when I get up and down. So I was happy, sat back watched some TV for awhile and then walked up and down the halls, also pushing my IV. I believe that the reason I got up to begin with was because I had to go to the bathroom, which I did and without assistance. Cripes, I've been doing this stuff since I was born, I know how to do it, LOL. It was after that I went up and down the halls. I was amazed at how I wasn't in any pain! No pain meds nothing. Talked to the late shift nurse for a long time, she was really nice and I welcomed her company. My friend was going to come, but I told him, I know you worked all day, I'll see in the morning when you come and get me. So I didn't have any visitors other than the really sweet nurse. Went to bed, back to sleep and woke up around seven or so the next morning. The nurse came in and gave me my discharge papers, I called my friend to come and get me. I got dressed and they even let me walk out to wait for my friend outside the hospital. No problems at all. I was very lucky because it was smooth sailing from there on. I had a follow up with the doctor that Friday, had the surgery on Monday, and slipt and said something about being back at work. His eyes got huge and he said, you can't do that, I haven't released you yet. I just laughed and shrugged my shoulders and said oh well. He laughed and he made the comment that either people go back to work too soon or they make excuses not to go back long after they are physically able.

So that's it. Good luck with your surgery, I hope your's is as easy as mine was and with a super speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

Cindy

If I go to Portland (and I plan on staying a few days) I hope they will let me leave OK in a taxi for a hotel. I don't know anyone in Portland. I don't think they would object if I'm not the DRIVER :) what do you think?