Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the forum will be banded april 14th!

Hello Ladies!! Just keeping up with the countdown!! We have 8 more days!!

Jaxie- I am right there with you! I've lost 9 pounds so far. I can't wait until it is surgery day!!

Thanks jaxie! I'm actually doin pretty good now with the pre-op diet. Seems like a mental thing for me to tell myself I'm 'drinking' enough calories to survive and that's all food is spose to be about. I'm fasting tonight tho for bloodwork tomorrow. The medical director @ my banding center called me at 10pm tonight! That threw me off but he was jus reminding me to fast & to come early to meet with my surgeon before he was tied up in surgeries. So now I really feel like this is all really happening. Just one more week! I'm soo excited. I haven't gotten to track my weight- I still don't own a scale! So it'll be interesting what it says tomorrow. Keep up the good work everyone! =)

I was banded march 16, 2010. It took me about 5 days post op and I felt great. Since then, i do have some restriction. I've lost 4 lbs preop and 16 post op. The thing is you have to listen to your stomach. Eat when your hungry, not when your tastebuds say you want something. I didn't have much trouble distinguishing so far. But when I eat the wrong thing, my band lets me know. I'm not exactly a veteran, but stay true to your band. I've had trouble with weight all my life. but i believe we can do this. All of us together.

Thanks girl55 I was really hoping someone banded would address that issue of fullness! That's comforting to know you actually feel a difference having the band in place before even a first fill. And wow 16lbs in 3 weeks is awesome you're doing well keep up the good work!

Thanks girl55 I was really hoping someone banded would address that issue of fullness! That's comforting to know you actually feel a difference having the band in place before even a first fill. And wow 16lbs in 3 weeks is awesome you're doing well keep up the good work!

Once you get restriction, which can be fairly quick or take several fills, it should take you a lot less food to get satisfied/full. REALLY we are supposed to stop when we are satisfied. I normally do, but this evening, I went to the full, but not stuffed, stage. My hubby wanted to go to Cracker Barrel. When we go there I always just eat some of his food. He ordered the grilled fish with fried shrimp. I ate 1/2 biscuit (would eat 2-3 prior to banding:sad:), 1/2 of a grilled fish fillet, 1/4 c green Beans and 3/4 c mashed potatoes. That made me quite full. I really should've stopped without eating the potatoes at all :thumbup: but I really just wanted them. Keep in mind, that I don't have my band tight, and I don't want it that way. I like being able to eat regular foods without normally having problems. I even eat pizza, which is my favorite food!

Thanks for the insight crzytchr! I think for the first yr while I learn to change my habits ill want that restriction. Normal foods are what got me into this situation.lol But yeah I understand we should stop when we're satisfied not just full. =/

Well I finished my pre-op yesterday and am 'officially' on the pre-op diet even though I started Monday on my own. I fasted 24hours on accident I ate last at noon tues & then was suppose to fast for bloodwork that night anyways & went from work (graveyard shift) straight to the doc's appt so my blood sugar was very low- literally that's how it read: low!haha But other than that everything went fine and I am down 5lbs from last wk! =) my surgeon, Dr Martinez is very nice & personable so I'm much more confident now. I grilled him with questions about his technique & routine discharge instructions so much he eventually said 'you must be a nurse' lol. I left from there & stocked up on vit. Water, broths, Protein shots, boost & slim fast shakes etc. Preparing for the next few weeks. I read so many horror stories about the gas so I bought gas-x strips & a heating pad too! I'm soo ready to get this show on the road! Less than a week now! Yay!

Hi!! I have been away for awhile, but I just wanted to remind you that we are only 5 days away from surgery!! We have done good so far, we can make it a few more days!!:biggrin:

Hey all,

I wanted to give an update because we are getting so close to our surgery date. I am pretty much stuck on an 11 pound weight loss so far. I have decided that I am completely over the Medifast Soups. Gross! I choose to eat Light tuna in Water instead. It has less fat grams and more protien than the soups anyway. I am still struggling everyday with the choice to stick with the plan or cheat. I have been really good though. I cheat by adding in sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. (its just like my required fluids for the day) I think my toughest part of the 2 weeks was last night. I went out to my favorite Mexican restaurant with my friends. I ordered an unsweetened iced tea and put splenda in it. I also got a grilled chicken salad minus the cheese. The restaurant did not have any low fat dressing so i opted for a salsa dressing. I stopped myself from eating the entire plate. It was so difficult, but I stuck to eating only half. It was so hard with my freinds drinking margaritas and eating chips and salsa!! We did agree that as soon as I was back to eating solids after surgery, we would come back. One of my friends is getting married in October and I am a bridesmaid. I am excited to show off my new body at the wedding. I dont want to purchase my dress yet! My spring break ends on Monday and its back to teaching. I am only going to be at work for a day and a half this week. I am still not sure how to approach this whole surgery thing with my students. I just hope they are good for my sub who will have them for almost 2 weeks! Well I ahve been getting less and less sleep each night the surgery gets closer. I might have to take some Tylenol PM if this continues! I am prepared though. I bought all of my allowed foods, shaker bottles, liquid tylenol, dulcolex, gas x strips, baby spoons, Matrix protien and crystal light. I am going to pick up my after sugery prescriptions on Monday after my final appointment with my surgeon. Hopefully I did not forget something! My husband has to be back at work the day after my surgery and I will be home by myself. Wow, I wrote a lot! This is me avoiding the urge to eat something! hahaha!

I am also a teacher and I find the hardest part about being banded is lunch at school. I don't hide the fact that I am banded, but I don't have duty-free lunch so my lunch is with the students, short, and sometimes stressful. Therefore, I am stuck eating Soup. I usually make sure I have some Campbells vegetable beef Soup at hand in my cabinet at school. These are the "heat and drink" kind. I have recently began making a creamy black bean soup at home that is much more healthy for me and it also tastes a helluva lot better than the Campbells stuff. If you want the black bean recipe, just ask. Oh, and to new bandsters, I highly recommend my friend Amy's blog. She is funny, amazing and completely honest about her experience since being banded. It is also amazing that she has lost over 130 lbs in a little over a year. If you want a link to her blog, I have it posted below. I recommend going to the beginning and reading a little at a time until you get to the present. It is an easy read and you may learn a lot from her. It is also helpful that she is funny and highly entertaining.

Once Upon A Time...In the Land of cheese and Sunkist

Wow we're entering our big week! Just wanted to check in with you ladies! Jaxie I know how you feel I went to a billiards center fri night & everyone was passing around nachos & pitchers of beer. I tried to be happy sipping my crystal light! Truly is a lifestyle adjustment. I found myself not wanting to go out because I've never known fun without including eating & drinking. Crzytchr thanks for the info and black bean Soup does sound tasty! I did read some of Amys blog and you're right she's quite a character! I am using it as a mind occupier! As I find myself for one of the first times since starting the pre-op diet truly fighting the battle of mental hunger! Stomach isn't growling but boy my mind sure is screaming!!! Everything & anything looks good. Cartoon food looks delectable even. Lol So that's my issue for the day! Anyways I'm very excited the big day is almost here. What time of day are you all having your surgery on the 14th?? Ill be in at 7am! Id like to make it on & update you all if I can! ;-) Hope everyones having a great weekend!

I was bad this morning! I did not stick to my preop diet. I ate a handful of walnuts and 1 all beef hot dog (no bun of course). I was doing so well!!! Hopefully my mess up wont be a problem. I walked 1/2 mile on the treadmill because I felt so guilty! Only 3 more days until surgery. I think I am getting anxious hungry! I am not even sure if there is such a thing. These past 2 weeks have taught me that I am definitly an emotional eater! I have had to find other ways to cope with stress and boredom. I am just mad at myself for caving in! Did any of you have one of these moments?:confused:

Hello all... I am so overwhelmed with emotions! I'm excited, nervous, scared, anxious, relieved... just everything! This process is going pretty quick for me and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself by now getting advice & opinions since I've already read all the statistics & facts now id like to hear from actual people who are about to be banded or have already been banded. I have been researching for over a year and switched from the idea of the realize to the LAP-BAND® a few months ago. Gastric bypass was totally out of the question for me personally. I literally went to a seminar/consultation weds the 31st, I'm self pay & have a BMI of 51-53 (depending which calculator you use) so I was an automatic approved candidate and therefore am having all my pre-op done this coming weds (4/7) and my tentative surgery date is weds (4/14). EXTREMELY fast! Within a 2 week time span I went from wanting to be banded to scheduled to be banded. My surgeon uses only 1 week of pre-op liquid dieting but I've decided because my bmi is so high to start a little sooner. That's mentally quite a challenge for me but again I'm self pay so I'm very commited to doing this right and not wasting my $! Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare? Any advice any of you veterans can give that you didn't know until it was too late? I've read a lot about the slippages & esophageal erosions and I'm wondering if this is dominately something avoidable by the patient (strict dieting/portion control) or is it just a common occurance of the band itself?? And truly do you actually feel full with the band or are you better off just disciplining yourself without the band? The fail stories are a bit nerve racking but this is still a tool I really think will help me. Anyone else who's newly banded or will be banded in april/2010 id love to connect with you so I can have someone to go through this process with! Thanks.

~Shay

Yim:soserious02

Hi there:

I'm almost 6 years out so pretty much have been there, done that- including being terified, sure I would fail yet again, and wondering if I was doing the right thing, especially since I was self pay also. All of those fears are GONE! I know I did the best thing for myself and now, 250 lbs lighter, my biggest fear is that I will gain it all back overnight. Unrealistic? You et, since I am maintaining for 4 years, but that is what my fear is now. It's art of the body image thing and the incredulity with which I still view my journey over the past 6 years. If you would like to see some of the things I did to prepare, how I dealth with surgery and recovery and weight loss you can read my blog atSandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

Let meknow if you find some useful information there. Good luck on your journey!!!!!:confused:

Jaxie I feel your pain! This weekend has been soo hard for me! I'm rationalizing that it'll be easier when I'm banded & actually will feel full off this 'junk' & that it won't just be up to my own will power when the band doesn't allow me to eat what I can't! Like I said yesterday I'm fighting that head hunger. I have a little booklet the nutritionist gave me with all the restaurant & fast food guides showing what I can eat post surgery @ each- all the low cal low fat, low sodium high Protein items- literally just 1 or 2 items per place. And definitely not the items I would normally have chosen. But even that looked better to me than a darn shake. I spoke to my doc yesterday he said many ppl feel too hungry & they have to eat on the pre op diet- I've read a lot of ppl are doing medifast meals- id take even that! My diet was solely liquids. I need to chew!! Anyways he warns to make it a healthy small portion- something like a side salad with light dressing if I do venture off course. And to still keep the calories between 800-1200 & drink a lot of plain Water when you do! But yes I find myself hopping on my stationary bike with guilt if I do anything too!

Sandi thanks for the info & yes I've read much of your blogs & your story too. That's amazing that you got down so far & kept it off for so long! I am more & more confident that this is the best $ ill ever spend. ;-) I imagine that's a cycle of fears we'll always have, will this work for me, will I lose as much as I want/need to & will I manage to maintain the loss? But faith without work is dead so I'm more than willing to do my best to get the results I'm after. Thanks for the support!

To my april 14th ladies just 3 more days! ;-)

Eat SLOW and SMALL that is the best advise, I have had many challenges and am having my band removed this wednesday, i am not sure if I will wake up without a new band or if it can be replaced, the surgeon will not know until he sees how my stomach looks, although a lot of this was my own fault, i thought I had the band figured out and made myself sick a lot...now I know I have it figured out and there is no tricks, just small and slow....

So, as far as the pre-op diet goes, I have figured out that the first three days suck and so do the LAST three days!! I am officially going crazy!! I am not hungry, the protien shakes are taking care of that, but man, I just really want FOOD!!! I don't care what kind of food, as long as it is food, oh, and warm, I want warm food!! I am sick of icy chocolate Protein shakes!! (I do have vanilla shakes, but no matter what I do to them, I gag.) Oh well, I have made it this long, I can make it three more days!! What time are my April 14th ladies set for surgery? Mine is at 7:30am!!