Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have recently been banded and I’m told that I can’t drink a half hour before or after I eat. What is the REAL reason for this? Is it because fluids wash food down, enabling you to eat more? Or is it because if you drink too much in fluids you can’t get enough of the food you need for nutrition?

I’m committed to do whatever I need to do to loose weight, but I’m just curious about what the real reason behind this rule is.

Edited by Barbwired

I was told it was about washing the food through too quickly, and you don't experience the full feeling. I have also had it described to me as an hour glass thing where the Fluid you are drinking has no where to go so it just keeps building up till you end up vommiting. I try my hardest to wait but if I have to I sip Water , like one sip though, otherwise I'm in trouble.

Yes, it will flush food through too fast and most importantly, you won't be able to retain all the nutrients you take in. I was told the same thing, stop liquids 1/2hr before meal and not to start again until 1/2hr after meal. It's tuff sometimes, but I have now turned into a clock watcher!! I thought I only did that at work :bored:!

:thumbup:I WAS KINDA CONFUSED BECAUSE MY NUTRITIONIST SAID 1/2 BEFORE AND AFTER ALSO THEN THE DIEITIAN THAT VISITED ME IN THE HOSPITAL SAID WHILE YOUR ON LIQUIDS IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE IT'S ALL LIQUIDS ANYWAYS, WHICH MADE SENSE AND IT DIDN'T CAUSE ME ANY ISSUES. WHEN I WENT FOR MY 1 WEEK CHECK-U I TOLD MY NUTRITIANIST THAT I DIDN'T DO THE 1/2 HOUR B4 AFTER DEAL AND I WAS FINE AND SHE SAID WELL OK BUT NOW THAT YOUR ON pureed FOODS YOU MUST DO IT. SO IF MY MEAL IS ACTUAL food I ADHEAR TO THE RULE BUT IF IT'S pudding,Jello OR A shake I DO A LITTLE SIPPING IF I WANT TO AND I'VE BEEN OK. HOWEVER I THINK THE MAIN IDEA IS NOT TO STRETCH OUT YOUR TUMMY BY PUTTING TOO MUCH IN AT ONCE SUCH AS food AND liquid.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAkPrzN/]

weight.png

[/url]

Edited by thiklips

Does anyone know if there have been any studies about this?

It seems the rule is all over the place, as are many of the rules.

I have seen 1 hour before to 2 hours after. No time before to 45 mintes after. 30 minutes before to 30 minuts after. It is doctor specific.

My doctor doesn't have a problem with me having some liquid with my meals. He just said I might not have room for it.

It seems we are all instructed to chew, chew, chew....doesn't that fairly liquify the food to begin with?

How could taking a few sips of something wash it out quicker?

In my own banded life, I have experimented with not drinking and drinking with my meals (as I have permission from my surgeon) and can't say I notice a difference as to when I get hungry again.

As to the nutrients, we don't absorb those through the stomach. That all occurs in the intestine.

I am ten weeks post-op and I am still struggling with not drinking while eating. When I do try it, it becomes a disaster for me about 90% of the time. As a previous poster said, the liquid builds up on top of the food I eat and causes it to come back up again (i.e. vomit).

Every person's Lap Band experience is a little different, so this may not be an issue for you. However, I wish I would have been vigilant about this from the beginning so I wouldn't be struggling with a bad habit now. Good luck! :bored:

I have found that drinking fluids too soon after eating significantly affects my hunger. If I don't drink- I stay full. If I drink, I get hungry very soon after. I've stopped drinking almost entirely until about an hour before I'm scheduled to eat. During that time I drink at least 16 oz of Water. I have found that drinking before my meals doesn't have any effect-- even if I drink right up to the time I start eating.

FWIW, I don't have any restriction yet, if that matters.

:thumbup:ACCORDING TO WHAT IM HEARING IT SOUNDS LIKE A LITTLE TRIAL AND ERROR BECAUSE EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND BODIES ABSORB food AND LIQUIDS DIFFERENTLY. DRINKING HASN'T BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME ALTHOUGH I TRY NOT TO DRINK WHILE IM EATING BUT WILL DRINK RIGHT UP UNTIL I EAT AND LESS THAN 30 MINUTES AFTER AND I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED ANY ISSUES. I HAVEN'T HAD A FILL EITHER SO THAT MAY BE A CONTRIBUTOR TO ISSUES. HOPE THIS HELPS..

I don't see why drinking up until you are going to eat is going to make a big difference? liquids go right on through. I can drink right up to my meal. I don't drink during my meal (I thought it would be hard but it really isn't), and I wait about 30 minutes after to drink something.