Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am highly considering booking my surgery with Slimband located in Toronto and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them and are they good or bad?

I have done a lot of research and its betwen them and SWLC but slimband also offers 4 yrs of afercare with the cost and no charge fils/defills and have a dr locally in NL.....this makes a big difference to me but if they are not reputable then I would rather a reputable place.

Thanks,

I'm in the process of booking my surgery with Slimband right now. My surgery is scheduled for April 16th and I'm really looking forward to it. So far my experience has been a bit of a roller coaster. It went like this:

1. First point of contact was with someone called Tara (I think). I'm not entirely sure what her name was but I'll tell you now she was super pushy and VERY rude to me. I was debating between having my surgery in the UK (where I'd been living for the last 7 years) and having it done in Canada. She was so rude to me about choosing some 'foreign' doctor to do my surgery and tried to scare me into believing that NO canadian doctor would take care of me after I'd had surgery abroad. I explained to her that I already had a doctor lined up as a family member had their lap band done abroad in January. She still didn't believe me. She told me she'd never heard of any doctor willing to clean up some other doctor's mess. VERY rude, very pushy and a complete liar. I was not impressed. BUT I wanted to know the cost and she wouldn't tell me so I asked to speak to a 'consultant'.

2. I spoke with a consultant called Niki. She's actually the woman from the TV ads and on the website. She was completely different to my first point of contact. She was pleasant and listened to all of my questions and answered them to my satisfaction. She explained that even though I'm based in Ottawa, they have 'outreach programs' and a doctor in Ottawa that does fills/defills for Slimband. Well, it seems it's the same doctor I was going to go to when I was thinking of getting my surgery in the UK. Anyway, Niki gave me plenty of information and helped me through the application process. That being said, when there was a delay with a fax I should have sent the sales person pressure came out of Niki as well. She pulled out classic sales tactics 101 and tried threats, fear, implying she did me a favour, and strict deadlines. I ended up sending her the information she was after and literally haven't heard from her since.

3. Now, the thing that's weird for me is that throughout Niki's sales pitch I was told that Dr Patrick Yau had completed over 3500 surgeries and that the rest of the staff had completed nearly another 1500. I made it clear from the start that if I was going to go with Slimband I wanted Dr Yau. I've tried on multiple occasions to get confirmation that Dr Yau will be performing my surgery and even suggested that if he's not available I'm prepared to wait and all communication has gone cold. No response.

4. I received the 'services agreement' and in the agreement it says that any member of their surgical staff that they deem suitable may perform my surgery. I wasn't told THAT during the whole sales pitch!

5. The services agreement also outlines an 'explanatory binder' and a 'surgery DVD' that I should receive but I haven't yet and when I've asked about it twice none of the contacts have provided an explanation.

6. I tried to join Myslimband.com and post questions and comments but for some reason I can't post anywhere. I sent a message to Amy the administrator a couple of days ago and haven't heard anything back. It seems pretty silly to me to have a 'forum' when only SOME people are allowed to be involved in the discussion.

So, here I am living in Ottawa awaiting a surgery from a COMPANY I'm not entirely sure I want to work with. All of their staff have told me to email them with questions or concerns and their website promotes their 'support' for their clients but since I've signed the $16,000 away, I haven't really had ANY real answers to my questions.

I'm trying to be balanced here so I will say that I've had my blood work done and it has Dr Yau's name on it but I wonder if any other Slimband patients have had his name on their forms and had their surgery done by another doctor. I've also got the pre-op diet information sheet which is easy to understand and follow. I've started today but I've got some questions and since non of the Slimband staff are replying to my emails and I don't have any permissions in the Slimband forum I came here.

Not only am I nervous about this life-changing surgery and the $16,000 debt I've just agreed to I'm totally confused because I've got plenty more questions AND I don't even know who my surgeon is going to be.

I've found some answers here so this forum has been a pretty big help. Keep looking around and you'll find more answers yourself.

I don't mean for this to discourage you or anyone else considering Slimband because when the contact silence finally ends I'm sure I'll end up happier but I guess I just feel a bit trapped now when I should be feeling anticipation and some relief for the life change ahead of me.

Good luck!

Occasionally I see someone here post a question about the reputation of a particular facility or "Band Center".

I would suggest that you not put too much emphasis on the organization, but concentrate on the SURGEON that will be performing the operation.

The organization is important, don't get me wrong. But a good surgeon will generally not associate themselves with a poor organization or facility.

I would begin searching for the best Surgeon in your area. Do a lot of research, and one will rise to the top. Many of these Band Centers are just "Patient Coordinators" and they have a loose affiliation with a group of Surgeons that they send patients to.

Do a LOT of research before you commit. Choosing the right surgeon is a critical part of this process.

S.

Edited by Spartan

I completely agree with Spartan.

Sadly, that's what I thought I was doing with Slimband. I did a lot of research and I wanted Dr Yau so I chose to pay my fee to Slimband who I now realise must be the 'patient coordinators' you mention Spartan. Now I can't seem to get any confirmation from Slimband that Dr Yau will be performing my surgery (or not). It's very frustrating.

I think it's important to research your surgeon then find a reliable and transparent 'patient coordinator' before you commit.

Good luck in your journey. Exciting times ahead for me but I just wish they weren't tainted with a slightly less than transparent Slimband situation.

Vickiemax;

I'm sorry you have had to go through all of that.

It is an unfortunate fact that parts of the Weight Loss Surgery industry (and it is very much an "industry") have become very sleazy. There are entities out there that are looking to place themselves between you and the surgeon, taking a big slice of the Insurance money or YOUR money in the process.

These "Centers" are generally referred to as "Lap Band Mills", and while there are some honest Surgical Centers who have the interests of the patient at heart, there are SO many of them that have their OWN interests at the forefront. The WLS business is full of crooks, charlatans, and jackasses, and you really have to be careful when you are looking for a Surgeon. One thing that everyone should keep in mind: GOOD Surgeons do NOT have to advertise. Most of the best Bariatric Surgeons are Doctors who have long-standing affiliations with very reputable Medical Centers....they don't work out of strip Malls with a Starbucks on one side and a 99cent Store on the other. This is a Surgery in which you want someone with demonstrated expertise over a long period of years.

One other thing: I am not suggesting that you will ALWAYS find the Best Surgeons at Major Medical Centers. I am very personally aware of Surgeons at world-class facilities that have made dreadful mistakes and treated their patients very poorly. But, as a rule, you will find that the Best surgeons will affiliate themslves with the finer institutions, and not these little "Drive-Through Lap Band In-n-Out Centers"

It can be a complicated matter to find a good surgeon who has assembled a first-rate team that will provide you with excellent aftercare. But the time you take to research it will be worth it, not only in the outcome of your surgery, but in the peace of mind that you will gain by knowing that you have engaged the BEST that is available to you.

S.

Please, please, do not hesitate to change surgeons or facilities if you feel there is a problem.

The aftercare is so very important with the lapband.

I think the minimum you can ask for is who your surgeon will be.

Thanks for the sympathy Spartan. It's very disheartening as I did do a lot of research when I ended up choosing Slimband. It was the aftercare that I was most interested in and I still am. I just hope I'm overreacting a little and things will improve in the next couple of days.

Pickles123, I'm hoping for confirmation of my surgeon by Monday. Fingers cross cause my surgery is a week from today (Friday)!

Thanks for the support! I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. :biggrin:)

Heard back from Niki at Slimband today with some answers to my questions. Very polite and cheerful as per most of her messages. I've been told that two surgeons work on the day that I'm having my surgery and that she'll make a note that I prefer Dr Yau. This surprises me...shouldn't I simply be given the surgeon I request if he is available and willing to do it??

Strange...I think I've got some more paperwork to hand in so I've been asked to give a call back. Will keep you posted!

Thanks to everyone for the support so far! :thumbup:) And I hope this gives you some answers wangpangtang!

Okay, so I spoke with Niki and all my questions have been put to rest.

I've been told that 'Tara' the girl I spoke to at the first stage of the process no longer works at Slimband. Thank goodness! It certainly doesn't help their image any to have people like that on the other end! But it also confirms my suspicions that the Slimband team keeps their eyes on the prize and watch these forums for any problems with current and potential clients. So keep that in mind when you're posting!

I've also been made aware of a few internal changes happing with Slimband in terms of their information packages and the schedule for receiving this information. Apparently, I will receive one binder by FedEx before surgery and one binder with post-op info after surgery. That's great news!!

Finally, Niki also said she would do her best to make sure Dr Yau is there for me on Friday. That being said, I'm not sure how that can be guaranteed but I'm taking her word for it and I'm confident in her so I think it will be fine.

One thing I'd also like to add is that Niki is a fountain of information. And like most consultant she prefers to express herself over the phone. And she's great at it! As soon as I spoke to her I had all the answers I needed and I felt pretty relieved. She comes across as a VERY warm person and even did so under the pressure of my big mouth so kudos to her for that.

I guess this is a lesson for me in patience. I'm super excited about my surgery on Friday and can't wait to meet the team.

Wangpangtang, I would recommend you do go with Slimband but only if it works for you. Do your own research (as it appears you are right now) and I'm sure you'll find the best solution for you. That being said, you're almost always going to find someone who isn't happy with the clinic you're considering. Don't let that stop you from considering them because perhaps that person just didn't have a Niki. And perhaps that person doesn't post the good stuff as well as the bad, like me. Most people don't.

Good luck with your journey! And I hope things work out. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more updates on my progress.

Research all surgeons with a particular clinic if they won't guarrantee who will be leading the team. When paying $16000, and you want a particular surgeon, then I would not enter a contract unless that surgeon was to do the surgery. If they want your business, they will ensure your choice of surgeons is honoured.

Hi there! I travelled from New Brunswick to Toronto to be banded at Slimband on April 22, 2010. I was treated very well and was impressed the entire time by the staff. I was banded by Dr. Yau and I found him to be wonderful!! I am still abit sore, but I'm very happy that I went there and was banded.

Hope this helps!

I ended up going ahead with Slimband and I'm SO glad I did. Dr Yau performed my surgery on April 16th and it was great! He gave me some very helpful advice and his team was fantastic. The nurses made me feel relaxed before and very comfortable after. And so far the followup care has been okay too.

Slimband was great for me and I would definitely recommend them. However, as with all health-related issues, the best advice I can give is to do your research and determine the best route for you and your health.

I'm going to Slimband... I spoke with Kathy, and she was fantastic! Any questions I come up with she answers them pretty fast. I'm glad to see some positive reviews about the actual surgery through slimband, although after reading some of the posts about the inital consult kind of get you thinking. Good Luck to everyone!!!

I'm going to Slimband... I spoke with Kathy, and she was fantastic! Any questions I come up with she answers them pretty fast. I'm glad to see some positive reviews about the actual surgery through slimband, although after reading some of the posts about the inital consult kind of get you thinking. Good Luck to everyone!!!

Dr Yau was my surgeon 3 1/2 years ago and the aftercare given by the old TLBC and the new Slimband is like night and day. Today the staff are trying very hard (and succeeding) with their advice and support. They are now using webcam sessions as a way to supporting long distance paitients. I find them very helpful. I would recommend Slimband as a choice.