Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone, has anyone had any problems getting their first fill?? I had a horrible experience today, trying to get my first fill because I have not felt any restriction and I only lost 20 lbs since my surgery day which was 2/10/2010. The physician assistant pressed and poked me with that huge needle about 8 times and still couldnt not find my port site. I left the dr. office crying my eyes out because I was in soo much pain, I could barely walk and whats worst is that I have to come back because they were unable to find my port. I need to get a flauroscopy done I was told. Has anyone ever had that before? I just dont want to experience this horrible pain again, I swear I almost punch the lady because I wanted her to stop and I am not a violent person.:cursing::frown::eek::thumbup:

My surgeon does his own fills. He only uses floro. It does not hurt is just something to stand in front of and it shows your band and port and everything else. Shows the Water going down when you drink. I would be mad and request that your surgeon does it. But with the floro it will just be one poke.

Cheri

I have not had my first fill yet, its next week, but my surgeon does all of his own fills as well. I have heard bad stories about techs and nurses doing fills and missing port, causing infections, and overfilling. I would make sure your Dr. does it, or find one locally that will.

"Only lost 20 pounds." Why does so many people act like that's a bad thing? Are you eating healthy and exercising? A 20 pound loss is better than a 20 pounds gain. Be thankful!!!

I'm sorry you had an awful experience. My surgeon does all his fills--with fluoroscopy--so I've never had the same.

It sounds horrible. You were barely able to walk? Where was she jabbing? It's too bad they don't have the policy of everywhere I've ever worked: no staff member can make more than 3 attempts before asking someone with more experience to take over. I think this should be a universal sticking-the-patient rule.

I hope you find a good solution with the fluoro.

But hey, what's with the "only 20 pounds"? Have you ever been able to lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks before?! In a way that's going to allow you to keep it off?

Yikes, you've got me convinced to make sure my doc does my fills! Sorry your experience was so awful! But 20 pounds is a lot, isn't it?

Yeah, now that I think about it, 20 pounds is alot and I am very thankful for that, however lately I just havnt been feeling any restriction but I am eating very healthy and walking 30 minutes everyday. But its just that at times I do feel that hunger and its something that I am batteling with. Ima just keep a positive attitude and hopefully when I do get my fill everything will be ok.

Thanks for the comments and your support you guys!

Oh gosh that sounds horible. The PA did my fist fill and she hit the port on the first try. I have to lie down with my arms behind my neck and do an ab crunch and hold it. She numbs the area and then does the fill. I was surprised to see that the area was all purple with a bruise the size of a silver dollar, but no pain. I have to admit holding an ab crunch is not my strongest ability, of course if it were I might not be this big!:thumbup:

OH you poor thing! I just got my fill yesterday and it was painful :thumbup:. They said it would be like a bee sting! If the bee was carrying a switch blade, ouch!!! She had to poke and prod me around the belly button area and I think she found the port but it was way painful so I feel your pain. As a matter of fact it still hurts today. I told her to mark the spot so if I need another fill she will be able to find it. What is the procedure you are having? And what does it do?

Been there, done that! Somewhere around my 6th or 7th fill my doctor changed offices. In the new office was this fancy chair for giving fills. Well, I don't know what happened but he had to numb me 3 or 4 times and he poked me, looking for my port about, 8 times. Even with the numbing agent ... I was still shaking and traumatized when I left his office. It took me 2 months to find the courage to go back for another fill!

I feel your pain!

I had the same experience my first fill and with my surgeon! I left in so much pain--I think more than I had at surgery--I could not hardly walk. I just got my first fill 3/22--he still had to poke but less than the first attempt but did not do flouro. The weight loss helped him feel it. Hang in there and 20 is awesome.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience! My first fill was yesterday, and it was truly no problem...my surgeon did it...very carefully palpated the exact position of the port and used a marker on my skin. It was a bit of a poke, but no worse than how it feels to get my blood drawn. The strangest part was sitting up with the needle still in, and drinking Water while he did the fill, so I could tell him when it started backing up (too full), and then, as he withdrew some, when it dropped through. It was hard for me to describe the sensation- best I could come up with was that it felt like my throat was closing down.

Anyway, onward and upward.

Congrats on your 20 pound loss- what a great start!

Best, Christine