Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FREAKIN OUT!! Need encouragement...

This is day 8 post banding. I am on a two-week liquid diet: Protein shakes, juices (low cal or diet), bouillion (5 calories), and a small low-sugar applesauce for my crushed meds daily.

As of this morning, I weigh EXACTLY what I did when I came home from the hospital. Not one pound lost.

I work as a medical transcriptionist, off work until postop check in a week, so just by virtue of not sitting at work for 10 hrs a day, I am moving more than usual. I have taken the dog for walks, done more laundry in the past week than I have in the past 2 months (lol) up and down stairs, driven to the store, done all my usual stuff and then some.

My calorie intake is well below what the NP for my doc said it should be; she suggested 800-1000 a day, I'm probably closer to 600. I am having trouble with the Protein because the whey powder I have feels "slimey," so I'm going to get something new later. I've been drinking Slim-Fast, Atkins or EAS for the protein, which is higher in carbs than the whey powder, but I only have two of those a day. Could my whole problem be that? Or am I drinking too many juices, even though I got diet (5 cal/serving) or low-cal (50 cal/serving)?? I'm also drinking Crystal Light.

I am DISTRAUGHT, let me tell you. I need some insight and encouragement!!

Journey, it sounds like you are doing everything the doctors told me to do after surgery. Don't forget that you had MAJOR surgery and it takes sometime for your body to recover from that sort of trauma and you are in healing mode. The weight will come off, just be patient... I know it's hard but, just stick to your doctor's plan and you'll see changes.

Did you take measurements before surgery so you can compare at 1 month post-op, I didn't see much weight during my 1st month post-op but lost over 10 inches and it made for a great NSV.

I think some of it could be Fluid retention. I didn't loose much the first couple weeks, then bam 8 pounds. I am not sure, but someone suggested they put saline in the iv???? Keep doing what your doing and you will see that scale move!

I didn't measure before surgery. I was surprised that they didn't take a "before" picture, but I had my sister take one before we left the hospital that morning.

I know I'm not messing up here - at least I think I know it. But to see posts of people down 2-3 pounds a day for several days immediately following surgery (and yes I know we're all different, but still) and me to have done nothin' is making me nuts. I do not want to get discouraged this fast. I'm not really discouraged yet, and people like you will keep me going, I know. Thank you so much.

I think some of it could be Fluid retention. I didn't loose much the first couple weeks, then bam 8 pounds. I am not sure, but someone suggested they put saline in the iv???? Keep doing what your doing and you will see that scale move!

I did have a saline IV for 24 hrs, and maybe the bouillion isn't helping; it has a lot of sodium. Maybe I'll leave that off, but honestly it's been so nice to have something HOT, I almost feel like I'm eating.

Okay, no more bouillion for a few days and we'll see. ARRGGH.

Agreed with the comments above. I lost 4 lbs in my first few days after the surgery, but the scale hasn't moved in 4 days even though my food intake has been very low compared to what I used to it.

It finally went down by .2 (yes, point two) lbs yesterday. I think it's the fickle nature of weight. I think considering how regimented you sound, vlp's experience will probably happen. It's impossible for your body not to lose weight ... a LOT of weight ... eventually.

You didn't mention your clothes. Are they fitting the same?

I think we are just all different. I had surgery on 3/5 (3 weeks on Friday). I had no preop diet and then was on Clear Liquids only for a week. That first week I lost 20 pounds. It's been 2 weeks since I have been on mushies and soft food (averaging 600 cal/day) and I've been exercising - guess what? I have gained 54 pounds back. I think all of us are going into starvation mode and our bodies are just reacting differently to it. We all just have to keep being string and make it through to our first fill (mine is 4/15 - I cannot wait!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Oh my lord you are 8 days post op and expecting weight loss. I'm 3 months post op and have only lost 12 pounds. You are expecting way too much way too soon. Some lose really fast others like me lose slow. Don't get so frustrated this soon or you will be flat out pissed if you end up like me in three months. I have had many regrets since I've only lost 12 pounds. And, I'm eating no sugar, no fast food, no soda.... so it's NOT me.

I gained weight after surgery and before my first fill! Gained! Then I started getting fills and everything started working like it should. I started losing 2 pounds a week and everything was good. Now that I am closer to goal I am only losing 1 pound a week but I am good with that too.

By the way, when I started really restricting my calories to around 600 I quit losing, I raised them to 800-1000 and started losing again. The 800-1000 from the Dr is not a random number, more and you wont lose, less and you will lose slower.

Try powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup flavor Protein, it tastes like chicken.:thumbup: No really it tastes like Soup base without the salt. I couldn't live without it, I cant stand cold stuff all the time, and I think you might be on something with the Fluid retention in regards to salt. (Don't forget warm or hot tea)

I did have a saline IV for 24 hrs, and maybe the bouillion isn't helping; it has a lot of sodium. Maybe I'll leave that off, but honestly it's been so nice to have something HOT, I almost feel like I'm eating.

Okay, no more bouillion for a few days and we'll see. ARRGGH.

I wouldn't ditch the boillon. It helps you. Just keep in mind that it affects the day to day retention.

I didn't lose for the first week or so post-op, and then lost maybe 1-2 lbs in the week after that... it'll happen, but as others have said this time is about healing, not losing. you have the band but it's not filled yet - it's like a power-tool that isn't plugged in.

Okay so I'm also 8days post op ( surgery Tues 3/16) and I haven't lost but 2lbs and I'm starving! I only did liquids 2 days pre op and 2 days post op then on the 3rd day mushies and the 4th I was allowed solids ( anything Protein based I wanted per Dr.)....I have zero restriction and I'm sooooo hungry so I went to my pcp yesterday and he wrote me a prescription for phentermine ( I used to take it religiously)....it helps with suppressing the appetite in a major way, I just wasn't successful with just that b/c when it wears off I had NO self control, lol.

So I have my band, my 64oz of Water, my 1/2 phentermine, and my Protein Bars to help with hunger and I'm still hungry, so I think we are officially in bandster hell....at least that's what I'm blaming it on, lol....I haven't eaten one thing unhealthy in 2.5 weeks and I have lost less than 4lbs since my pre op appt and 2lbs since surgery, that sucks :thumbup:

But we must stay encouraged so just keep taking your frustrations out here in a positive way and don't give up :)

I don't know how many times I have read this on lapbandtalk (maybe 1 million or so)

BUT THE POST OP DIET IS NOT TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

it is to heal. :thumbup:

I don't know how many times I have read this on lapbandtalk (maybe 1 million or so)

BUT THE POST OP DIET IS NOT TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

it is to heal. :Banane20:

Wow... we were banded around the same time. You've lost 70 pounds in 3 months? I've lost 12!

Dang!!!!!

I agree with HiMow...this diet is to heal. Don't fret. Give it a while. And remember, as hard as it is, this too shall pass. It sounds like you are doing great to me. Chin up!