Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FREAKIN OUT!! Need encouragement...

Like some of the others said, the first few weeks after surgery is not for losing weight it's for healing the stomach/pouch. I've read that when you eat less than 1000 cal/day your metabolism slows way down and you don't lose weight. When you start eating more dense foods your cal. intake will go up a bit and you'll probably start losing some. Your band isn't even in operation yet but will be after you start getting fills. That's why we get so hungry during bandster hell. Once we're restricted we'll feel full from small amounts of food. We're only supposed to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week anyway. Cut yourself a break and hang in there. You'll do fine.

What I'm doing for Protein is using unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury whey Protein powder in Crystal Lite. I hate most Protein drinks but with this stuff I can't taste it at all. It's just like plain old Crystal Lite. You get 20 grams of prot. per 8 oz serving of the drink. It's awesome. You have to order it on the internet.

DEFINITELY ditch the bouillon. Buy yourself low sodium bouillon instead. Or that other thing that tastes like chicken that was mentioned. :Banane20: Limit your salt intake in all things.

cynpatt, was that a typo? You've been eating only 600 cal/day and exercising but you gained 54 lbs? In only 2 weeks?

That shouldn't be possible. Have you had your thyroid checked? You definitely should see your PCP because those numbers don't compute.

low sodium boillion sucks. Retaining a little Water never killed anyone. the op just needs to realize that is the case and potential cause. The water will go away later.

In the immediate postop period, you're swollen from surgery. You also are retaining some Fluid due to anesthesia, meds, and trauma.

You do NOT have to restrict sodium, unless your doctor has told you to do so for blood pressure-related reasons. Your kidneys do an exquisite job of removing excess sodium. It's not the issue right now. Your body was cut open, your organs manipulated, and your entire system was exposed to drugs that were potent enough to cause you to lose consciousness for a period of time. THIS is what you are seeing on the scale: your body's response to this insult.

I know it's hard to hear it, and especially hard to do--but RELAX.

This is not a quick fix. You will not lose weight rapidly. Not now, especially. But not later, either. It's a slow and steady sort of thing, and it requires a great deal of patience and commitment. But if you do the right things, your body will lose the excess weight. It just will.

You do not need to agonize about your metabolism slowing, or sodium, or any of the other minutae that flood our minds when things aren't moving as quickly as we'd like.

You simply have to eat the right foods in the right amounts, drink adequate Fluid, and exercise to your tolerance (which may not be terrific right now).

The rest really will take care of itself.

Instead of bullion, use the canned chicken, beef broth. I really enjoyed those non sweet, warm drinks during my pre op :Banane20:

Instead of bullion, use the canned chicken, beef broth. I really enjoyed those non sweet, warm drinks during my pre op :Banane20:

Now, this I agree with. And college Inn is much better that store brands!

Cywhite: Regarding taking the phentermine? Does your dr know you are doing that? And, I poll this ? to everyone - isn't the reason for doing this to stop the dieting and the diet pills. I wouldn't think with the small pouch taking diet pills would be very good for you. I'm just curious. In all my research (a year of reading this site I have never heard of anyone doing that)

Curious, yes---the aim is to stop the endless cycle.

That said, as I work toward restriction, I am dieting. I am willing to do this because there is a light at the end of the tunnel. When I achieve restriction, there will be no need to continue to be so vigilant--the band will do the work. But right now, I am eating the way I will eat when I do have restriction. And I'm hungry--and I'm okay with that.

My surgeon, who happens to be the most easygoing surgeon I've ever met (and I've met many), would blow a gasket if I went to my PCP for weight-loss drugs. Further, I believe I have a commitment to him that precludes including another physician in decision-making about (or prescribing for) weight loss issues. I think it's wrong to do that--and I think the PCP's willingness to become involved is very, very wrong.

pills in the pouch may or may not present a risk. Phentermine, however, poses many I am not comfortable with.

I received the phentermine Tuesday and I called the surgeon Wed afternoon and he said if I wanted to take them now he doesn't have a problem with it, but feels when I come in in 2 weeks for my 1st fill that I will not need them any longer. He did say that the pcp is attempting to treat the 'head hunger' and that the band is not expected to curb hunger before the 'sweet spot' is found.

I have done research on the phentermine and I have lab work scheduled every 90 days to monitor and look for any dangers that may be associated with the medication.

I was not mentioning it for a lecture or to be discouraged about my choice, I just mentioned it because it is helping to curb my appetite while waiting for my first fill :tt1:

Curious, yes---the aim is to stop the endless cycle.

That said, as I work toward restriction, I am dieting. I am willing to do this because there is a light at the end of the tunnel. When I achieve restriction, there will be no need to continue to be so vigilant--the band will do the work. But right now, I am eating the way I will eat when I do have restriction. And I'm hungry--and I'm okay with that.

My surgeon, who happens to be the most easygoing surgeon I've ever met (and I've met many), would blow a gasket if I went to my PCP for weight-loss drugs. Further, I believe I have a commitment to him that precludes including another physician in decision-making about (or prescribing for) weight loss issues. I think it's wrong to do that--and I think the PCP's willingness to become involved is very, very wrong.

pills in the pouch may or may not present a risk. Phentermine, however, poses many I am not comfortable with.

Well said. I can't imagine popping diet pills on the band. I guess that sometimes one just has to be hungry, in my book. Life is like that. We can't always have what we want when we want it. Not even immediate cessation of hunger.

Also since I weighed yesterday at the gym and I have officially lost 5lbs now, lol....so I will continue to be patient :tt1:

Now, this I agree with. And college Inn is much better that store brands!

Definitely!

Ive had surgery 1/26 almost 2 months and I've only lost 17 lbs. During my first fill I only lost 3 lbs. I do the diet and I exercise pretty regularly. I have noticed that I've lost inches. Don't get discourage just keep on going! As long as we eat the way were suppose to and exercies we will eventually loose the weight.

Okay so I'm also 8days post op ( surgery Tues 3/16) and I haven't lost but 2lbs and I'm starving! I only did liquids 2 days pre op and 2 days post op then on the 3rd day mushies and the 4th I was allowed solids ( anything Protein based I wanted per Dr.)....I have zero restriction and I'm sooooo hungry so I went to my pcp yesterday and he wrote me a prescription for phentermine ( I used to take it religiously)....it helps with suppressing the appetite in a major way, I just wasn't successful with just that b/c when it wears off I had NO self control, lol.

So I have my band, my 64oz of Water, my 1/2 phentermine, and my Protein Bars to help with hunger and I'm still hungry, so I think we are officially in bandster hell....at least that's what I'm blaming it on, lol....I haven't eaten one thing unhealthy in 2.5 weeks and I have lost less than 4lbs since my pre op appt and 2lbs since surgery, that sucks :tt1:

But we must stay encouraged so just keep taking your frustrations out here in a positive way and don't give up :eek:

let me preface this by saying although I may be questioning somethings, it's in no way lecturing you as i feel this is a SUPPORT site, but......

Your post-op regiment is very odd to me. 8 days post-op and you're eating mushies at 3 days and solids at 4 days? Then the doctor says it's OK to take the weight loss meds? I don't know this Dr. from Adam, but there' s good Drs. and bad ones. it really seems he follows VERY unconventional ways. Ask EVERYONE on here if this sounds normal and I'll doubt you will find any to agree, other than maybe someone who has had the same Dr. , thus the same advice. And you know 3 weeks in advance, after only 8 days that you're getting your first fill on 4/15? That's insane. How does this doctor KNOW you will need a fill when you're a week off the table? Some people don't need a fill for 6 months. Fills are determined based on how you are doing. You're way to early into the game to even make that determination. And lastly, stay off the scale. A scale doesn't make you lose weight. Only you can do that. Your doctor or his staff should have filled you in on what you should be doing in that regard. If I hadn't had my surgery already and after reading lots about what's expected and then hearing the things your doctor has told you, I would have run for the hills. Don't let him or yourself derail this.

Thank you all so much! I guess when I saw the person who was concerned because they had lost about 3 lb. a day since banding, I thought, WHOA, and I got nothin' happening here!!

I know I need to increase my calories. Being a life-long dieter, I know how your body shuts down and stops burning calories if your intake goes too low for too long. In fact at the information session, I asked the doctor how you handle that. In the past when I've been successful, if I hit a plateau I could bump up my calories for a day or two, go back to the stricter regimen and drop 5 lb. in a day.

The NP working with my doctor said the liquids help boost weight loss initially (and I guess that helps boost morale), so I haven't had that really. I'm on day 11 now, and have only felt hunger pangs for the past three days or so. Before that, I never felt hungry.

Thanks again, everybody. I'm looking forward to the next months and watching us all shrink!