Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life is good today....

At the begining of May 2009 I was 450lbs, 6'01" tall, 36 years old and rapidly on my way to an early grave. If not from being morbidly obese then my own hand. I was severly depressed. I couldn't walk from the house to the car without being out of breath even though I had quit a three pack a day cigarette habit. I couldn't stand for more than five minutes without experiencing sever lower back pain. The pain was so bad I would start sweating and couldn't think. I had sever sleep apnea. I had just buried my mother four months prior.

My work was really suffering, I couldn't do my job at all. I started getting into trouble for lack of performance. I am pretty sure that cost me a promotion that I wanted and could be good at. That caused me to get paranoid that people were out to get me and I burned some bridges I will more than likely never rebuild.

I had a son at the time that was three and I couldn't really play with him at all. I couldn't go to the movies with him because I couldn't fit in the seats. I couldn't take him to the zoo(his favorite place) because I couldn't walk.

My relationship with my wife of 12 years was suffering. I was never happy and she caught the brunt of it by no fault of her own. Not only could I not make love to her I was not able to be intimate with her emotionally. That really hurt, she is my best friend and I was losing her, or more accurately pushing her away.

I was seriously thinking of killing myself. A few things stopped me. I always thought people who did were selfish assholes(still do but I understand how a person can get to that point now). I had a wife who I dearly love(and who may have still loved me) and a son who loved and needed his dad. I am also more than a little stubborn so I sat down with my wife and layed it all out there. She never blinked just said "Lets fix it".

We went to a seminar for bariatric surgery at the end of my put on by Dr. Richardson of MyNewSelf, listened to what he had to say and filled out some paper work to see if my insurance would pay. It was a formality my mind was made up before I even heard the man speak.

A week or so later the Doctor's office called to advise me my insurance would not pay. So we looked into refinancing the house but we had just bought it four years earlier so between lack of equity and the housing market taking a dive that wouldn't cover the surgery. By this time we were into the third week in July 2009. We discussed it and decided to apply for financing through a company that worked with MyNewSelf.

I applied on July 23, 2009 and was approved within minutes(the largest impulse purchase I have ever made). My wife called MyNewSelf in Des Peres MO just to see how long it would take to get me in to start the process. It wasn't long. The 23rd was a thursday, she was told to have me start my pre-op liquid diet on monday the 27th and my surgery was set for August 10, 2009. I had to get my head shrunk, and all the rest of the pre-op screening done ASAP.

The next to weeks were a blur looking back, at the time I didn't think so I was starving on liquids. I just happened to have vacation already planned during those two weeks so that helped. I don't think I could have worked anyway, living on liquids you never know when "nature" will call. I also started walking during this time at the city park. I would walk from park bench to park bench around the walking path. They were approximately 50 yards apart. I would walk 1/3 of a mile and be wiped out.

Finally the big day arrived, August 10, 2009. Surgery went smoothly and I experienced some minor pain but I started walking a few hours afterwards and that helped.

I have lived a pretty normal life since. I have changed how I eat, its not a diet it a life style. I work out five days a week, nothing to painful just 30 min of cardio. I do sometimes eat bad stuff but it is small amounts and I control it not the other way around. I am still at odds with my nutritionist about Water intake. She wants me to drink three and a half liters a day and I am fine with that but she says it shouldn't be run through coffee grounds before I drink it. Hey I gotta have one vice.

So here we are a week away from my 37th birthday, I am down 118lbs from my heaviest. I have been to the zoo twice with my son since the weather has gotten nice. In February I took my wife on a honeymoon finally. We spent a week on the Yucatan peninsula in a five star resort. We healed alot of emotional wounds and, well it was a good week all around! I still have a long way to go but I have seen how good life can be and well, Life is good today......

WOW, you are doing so great! Thanks for sharing.

:thumbup::smile::):smile::smile::smile::smile: What an uplifting post!

Good for you!!! Your story just made my day. Keep up the great work, and keep lovin life!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your weight loss.

Congrats on your wieght loss and more importantly congrats on being true to your self! I applaud you :thumbup:, thanks for a great story and the start to an awesome day!

Thank you--what an inspiration to us all. Congrats on your success and taking your life back!

Wow, what an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing.

Trixie

Wow!! Your story gave me goosebumps. What an inspirational post. Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on all the wonderful and positive changes you've made!

:thumbup:

Congratulations! I am on the start of my journey, and I have a two-year-old. It's very painful not to be able to do things with my son and to have him prefer my husband or my mother to me because they can do things with him.

Your post made my cry! Congrats to you and your new found life. I am so very happy for you!

Wow! Your story really moved me. I am sure there are many people in this forum who feel the way you did. Reading your story could just be the reason they too can take the steps needed to turn their lives around. You are an inspiration.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you soooo much for sharing your story you brought me to tears I am just starting my journey. And you are a true inspiration.

Wow. What an awesome post. It just goes to show you what a life saving/ life changing thing weight loss surgery can be. You are doing great!

Keep up the good work, and keep on sending posts. We need as many positive stories on this site as possible, because your success helps to fuel our success. :thumbup: