Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you Post Op diet consist of and how long?

Hi! I had my surgery today. Besides the uncomfortable gas pain all is well. Hadn't really discussed the post op diet with doc prior to surgery and was surprised that is was only 3 days of liquids and then jumped straight to mushies.

I keep seeing that video by Dr Ortiz on youtube where he stresses the importance of 21 days of liquids.< /p>

I am a bit hesitant to jump to mushies to quick but then again I really want to cuz I am a bit blah with liquids at this point.

What was you post op diet like and how long was it/each phase?

Do you all feel that the longer it last the more boost you get on your inital loss? I am at 11lbs down with the short 6 day liquid diet I did.

Thanks

Dee

i'm not even two weeks out yet but here's what my doc has lined out for me:

after surgery you do 2 weeks of full liquids, then two weeks of mushies, then slowly move into solid foods. fill times depend on the patient but usually range around 1 to 2 months out for the first fill and on fill days it's all liquids the day of the fill and for a day or two after i think as well.

I am on Clear Liquids the first week, only clear broth, Water, Jello, tea, and isopure(clear Protein Drink from GNC). The next week I am on full liquids, Protein Shakes and liquids that are not clear. I can't wait for even that. I am so tired of the clear liquids!! Mushies on week 3.

I was on clears only for 7 days, full liquids for 3 days, purees for 2 weeks...now gradually morphing to solids...and I'm happy to report no problems as yet!

Christine

Two weeks liquids, two weeks mushies, and then add in soft foods. I'm at the end of my first week of liquids, and though I'm craving real food, I'd be afraid to go too fast. I have Carnation Instant Breakfast, Protein Shakes, watery grits, fruit juice, Jello, broth, etc. I'm getting a little alarmed at my rapid weight loss. Literally three pounds a day for the last four days cannot be healthy.

I was on 2 days clear liquids, then 2 weeks of pureed Protein (3 T, 3x/day). After that, I moved to regular Protein. After 2 months, 1 serving/day of nonstarchy veggies was added. That's where I am now--protein and veggie. Next month, I can add fruit (1 serving/day).

That pretty much will be the sum total of my intake--3 3-4 oz. servings of protein (protein choices include legumes), 1/2 cup nonstarchy veggies, and 1 fruit---each day until at least 75 percent of my excess weight is gone. Then, I believe, whole grains can be added back in with real caution.

It's working quite well :thumbup:

ETA: No, I don't think that moving to solids impaired loss. I think it's important, though, to consider the quality of the food you take in. My doctor does NOT have a full liquid or mushy stage because he does not want us having the customary strained creamed Soups, mashed potatoes, etc.

Wow, guess every doctor is a bit different. I am still at liquids and am terrified of anything else at this point. Even liquids give me the chest pressure feeling sometimes. I guess only time will allow me to move up on the stages and I will just take it as I feel it as opposed to my docs instruction. He must realize everyone is different.

Glad to know everyone does it a bit different and still has great results.

Dee

Wow everyone is so different. I was on clear liquids for 3 days and then for 5 Weeks its Full liquids. Then I start on soft foods(is that mushies?) And I think that same week I start soft foods Ill be getting my first fill. Im on week 3 1/2 of full liquids, but have had stuff like crackers in my Soup and have given in to tasting some foods but really really chew to prevent getting what everyone calls STUCK!!! My biggest fear! So far so good though. Im just surprised at how my doctor has such a long time for full liquids and some doctors have people eating food after 2 or 3 weeks.

I am on day 8 post banding, and I am on liquids for two weeks. Starting at week three, I get pureed foods. I get true solids at week five.

As an aside here, will someone let me know how you all get that cool stuff after your comments - the tickers and such? I made a ticker, but don't know how to make it show up on my profile or with my comments. Thanks!

I was on clear liquids for the first two days (banded on Monday 3/22). Today I saw my nutritionist and was told I could start mushies like oatmeal and puree. On saturday, I can add dairy products to my mushie diet. I see the doctor again next wednesday, when I will be informed of my next step.

I was banded 03/16 and was on liquids the day of and the day after then on Thursday ( Day 3) I could have tuna salad, chicken salad, etc ( any Protein mushy/soft food) then on Friday ( Day 4) I was moved to solid foods. I have stuck to all protein and veggies ( staying away from carbs) and I have done great. I have had some foods get 'stuck' but it wasn't unbearable but definitely uncomfortable. The easiest thing I have found to eat that is easy quick and convenient and protein packed low fat is bbq ( low sodium) meatballs. They are starting to become my every day lunch item ( or at least these last few days since returning to work)....I have kept my calorie intake at 1000 calories or less and I have lost 3lbs which isn't great but I'll take it. I'm going to workout tomorrow doing some light cardio ( elliptical for 30mins is the plan) and try doing that 3x a week for a few weeks and hopefully build up to more days per week....I'm ready to lose :thumbup:

I was banded 03/16 and was on liquids the day of and the day after then on Thursday ( Day 3) I could have tuna salad, chicken salad, etc ( any Protein mushy/soft food) then on Friday ( Day 4) I was moved to solid foods. I have stuck to all Protein and veggies ( staying away from carbs) and I have done great. I have had some foods get 'stuck' but it wasn't unbearable but definitely uncomfortable. The easiest thing I have found to eat that is easy quick and convenient and protein packed low fat is bbq ( low sodium) meatballs. They are starting to become my every day lunch item ( or at least these last few days since returning to work)....I have kept my calorie intake at 1000 calories or less and I have lost 3lbs which isn't great but I'll take it. I'm going to workout tomorrow doing some light cardio ( elliptical for 30mins is the plan) and try doing that 3x a week for a few weeks and hopefully build up to more days per week....I'm ready to lose :thumbup:

Yours sounds just like mine. If i may ask where were you banded?

I was banded on 3/18 and my post-op diet included nothing to eat except ice chips on the day of surgery. Then, after my barium swallow the next morning I was able to do clear liquids for lunch and then return to full liquids when I went home. I am on full liquids for one week, then two weeks of soft/puree, then solid food. The liquids do actually make me full for a while, but I'm craving some "real" food. I'm not actually that hungry, but I just want something other than these darn liquids.