Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fill Horror Story - Help

I received a fill at one of the national fill centers in January 2010. My band tightened up overnight to the point where I could not swallow my own saliva. Of course it was the weekend, so after several hours of vomiting, I went to a local hospital emergency room for treatment. When I explained to the ER physician that I had my lap band placed in Mexico, he called the ER physician that was on call for bariatrics. The ER physician returned to my room and stated that the physician on call said to tell me that, since I had the band put on in Mexico - to take my little "problem" to Mexico. I was released from the ER without being treated. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you handle it?

omg how sad is that to be denied treatment...im sorry to hear that happened to you.

I received a fill at one of the national fill centers in January 2010. My band tightened up overnight to the point where I could not swallow my own saliva. Of course it was the weekend, so after several hours of vomiting, I went to a local hospital emergency room for treatment. When I explained to the ER physician that I had my LAP-BAND® placed in Mexico, he called the ER physician that was on call for bariatrics. The ER physician returned to my room and stated that the physician on call said to tell me that, since I had the band put on in Mexico - to take my little "problem" to Mexico. I was released from the ER without being treated. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you handle it?

I haven't had this happen before but if I were you I'd start by writing a lovely letter to the hospital administration and reporting the bariatric physician on call who denied you treatment to the medical board*. They will open up a case and investigate. This can become quite a headache to doctors.

The focus of your letter to both the hospital and medical board should focus on his denial of treatment and the potential consequences of that action. Had you continued vomiting due to lack of treatment there could have been potential damage to your band and stomach or both.

*If you want to report a doctor regarding misconduct, the best thing to do is contact

your state medical board (MDNationwide) by

writing a detailed, nice, professional "Registered or Certified Letter" regarding your

situation.

Best of Luck!

It is illegal to deny treatment (unless they are incapable of treating a problem). I would contact their risk management department and have them open a casefile. I would also make them reimburse you for any expenses you incurred from their lack of treatment. Just say the word "Attorney" and they will help. I know cuz I work in RM...LOL

Thanks for all the posts. I am actually a fellow-Alabamian, I am in Huntsville. I did call the hospital and addressed the issue with the ER Administrator but got no satisfaction. I then went to the Hospital Administrator and complained. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the hospital saying 'thanks to you, we have changed our procedures for bariatric patients' blah blah blah. It is time to reply to their letter, I just am not sure what to say at this point.

Cindy

Thanks for all the posts. I am actually a fellow-Alabamian, I am in Huntsville. I did call the hospital and addressed the issue with the ER Administrator but got no satisfaction. I then went to the Hospital Administrator and complained. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the hospital saying 'thanks to you, we have changed our procedures for bariatric patients' blah blah blah. It is time to reply to their letter, I just am not sure what to say at this point.

Cindy

In the hospital's perspective the situation is done and writing a reply to their letter won't really do anything for you. It is good that they changed their policies for the future(although who's to say they really changed anything) but that does not take away from how they treated you at that time.

Also, are you or your insurance company being billed for the ER treatment you didn't receive . . . if so that is a real issue.

I agree with the previous poster, you need to take it to the state medical board so that they can investigate. If they turned you away in this manner, it stands to reason that they have probably done other inappropriate things with other patients.

The hospital will say whatever they need to say just to get the situation to go away, but the state medical board can make life difficult and unpleasant when they deny patients emergency care. This is a serious issue and it needs to go above the level of the hospital.

It is illegal to deny emergency care to those presenting in an emergency department.

I would write a letter to the hospital's quality control manager. But I would also report the hospital, and the bariatric surgeon you spoke with to your state licensing agency.

The emergency room doctor did the right thing in calling in the surgeon; he likely was not able to do it himself, and called the person who could. THAT is the person who failed you. And he should be reported to the licensing agency.