Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really worth it?

My surgery date is March 24th. This morning I started reading some of the posts on this sections regarding the fills and I am so nervous right now. I hadn't been until this morning. After reading about problems with over-filling, food getting stuck, unable to keep food down, vomitting, removing some fill etc I have scared myself into a frenzy. Can anyone please give me some encouragement?

Sure, I can encourage you. If you want a tool to help you lose lots of weight and are willing to learn how to eat, and exercise, and live a little differently, then by all means have the surgery!

I'm overfilled right now and pretty miserable but it is part of the learning experience. It can be settled pretty soon and then I'll do more of the work.

That's why I chose the lapband. Either I can do the majority of the work, or the band can, but I get to choose. :frown:

Thank you 2GoodDogs,

You have done amazingly well. What made you decide on the Lap-Band vs the Gastric Sleeve or the Gastic Bi pass?

It has been so worth it for me. There is no way I would have taken off this weight and kept it off without the band. As far as getting stuck and throwing up, after a couple episodes ..... lesson learned. I either ate the wrong thing or ate too fast.

I think it is worth every dollar ($10,200 of them) and every minute (5 months of them). You get out of this what you put in it. If you try hard it works hard, if you try a little it works a little. (Medical conditions excluded from this statement) I would only consider cutting my gastric system in the case of medical necessity, such as 100 pounds or more overweight with co-morbidities such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. I only needed to lose 65 pounds so I consider my lap band surgery to be somewhat cosmetic. Really ask yourself if you are going to work with the band, if you are then get the surgery. If you are thinking I will just get the surgery and then everything will be handled, wait and do more research. :wink2:

What made you decide on the Lap-Band® vs the Gastric Sleeve or the Gastic Bi pass?
May I address this portion?

I chose the band because I wanted to learn to live healthfully, and it provided a tool to help me do so. It allows me to meet my nutritional needs in a way that bypass does not (because of the malabsorptive issues the surgery creates). And it does so with the smallest set of adverse effects as tradeoff for the benefits.

The sleeve intrigues me, but it was easy to rule it out; it's still considered experimental, and insurance does not cover it. If I ever require revision (something I do not anticipate), I would consider the sleeve. I think that it will represent a great option for many. I prefer longer-term data (and insurance coverage!) though, so I ruled it out.

Bypass is a good option for many, as well. It just wasn't the one for me. I am not interested in both malabsorption and restriction; I wanted restriction only. I know many, many people who've had bypass. The difficulties they encounter are harder to manage, IMO. And really, in the long run, they don't seem to enjoy success greater than can be achieved with the band---if you use the band well.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm doing better now. I am so commited to this and I really want to have the surgery. I know it's not going to be easy. Don't we all wish we could just lose the weight and keep it off without any help? 10 more days to go!!

I know it's not going to be easy. Don't we all wish we could just lose the weight and keep it off without any help?

If I could've, I would've--all of us here would have. I'm thankful for the lapband. It's added years to my life and life to my years. The fills/unfills, restriction, getting stuck/unstuck are just part of the process. Is it hard? Not harder than having diabetes; not harder than having feet and knee pain; not harder than trying to find clothes for a nearly 300 lb. body; not harder than starving on one failed diet after another; not harder than having sleep apnea; not harder than being unable to sit in chairs with arms...etc! Anything worth having in life takes work and isn't easy. I'm terribly pleased with my lapband and so very, very thankful that someone (bless the surgeons/researchers who did!) figured out a minimally-invasive, adjustable, reversable (hopefully never needed), effective way for me to lose weight! Good luck on your journey! And to answer your question: "Is it worth it?" YES! YES! YES! (for me) :wink2:

Worth it for me :wink2: Love my band...so grateful!

Short Answer is YES!

Is it easy NO!, do you have to work at it YES! Do you have to make real changes YES!

However it is the best thing I ever did, I just wish I did it 20 years ago.

Glad you are feeling a little better about your surgery. I think I know how you feel. I kept my finger on the "call it off" option up until the happy juice they slipped in my IV pre-op. :thumbup:

I looked hard at gastric bypass and more than once during this journey I admit I sort of wished I had gone that way, except - I expect to have the same success if I had and my new life has been easier to get used to by losing slowly and steadily.

There will be some struggles, but be patient with yourself, your doctors and seek support when you need it.

food has been such a crutch in my life, now it is less a crutch and more like nutrutional support. :thumbup:

Good luck to you, we are here for you on your journey when you need us.

Is it worth it? Oh yes!

if my weight loss stopped right now it would still be worth it. after every fill i feel like i have to re learn what and how i can eat. and yeah i've gotten stuck and yeah that is horrible. but it's enough to remind me next time what not to do (negative reinforcement). i never gave gastric bypass a thought. i knew what i needed was a tool to help me learn to eat correctly. i don't ever deprive myself and i don't have to. if i need a little bowl of ice cream i have that. but never in excess and i always keep it in my daily calorie count. that helps to keep me sane and i am continuing to lose, slowly but surely. the band is the best thing that i've done for myself!

So, Itsforlife, today is March 25... presuming you had your surgery yesterday? Let us know how you're doing!

I was banded Feb 18 and had my first fill March 18. I have restriction but will go for another fill in late May. I have not had any difficulties at all - no BP, no sliming, no reflux, nuthin. I am eating 800-900 cals a day and rarely feel hunger. Last I looked I was down 26 lbs since my consult on Jan. 22, but I have vowed to only weigh myself once a month, so don't know (and almost don't care) what I've lost. I only know that I AM losing (I can feel it in my clothes), I am eating more healthfully than I have in decades, and have the hope and confidence to change my life once and for all. Is it worth it?? YES! I am self-pay and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish you every success in what's to come!

So, Itsforlife, today is March 25... presuming you had your surgery yesterday? Let us know how you're doing!

I was banded Feb 18 and had my first fill March 18. I have restriction but will go for another fill in late May. I have not had any difficulties at all - no BP, no sliming, no reflux, nuthin. I am eating 800-900 cals a day and rarely feel hunger. Last I looked I was down 26 lbs since my consult on Jan. 22, but I have vowed to only weigh myself once a month, so don't know (and almost don't care) what I've lost. I only know that I AM losing (I can feel it in my clothes), I am eating more healthfully than I have in decades, and have the hope and confidence to change my life once and for all. Is it worth it?? YES! I am self-pay and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish you every success in what's to come!

Ditto for me. I am just shy of 6 years post- op, I lost 250 pounds, and at 61 years old am in the best shape of my adult life. I also was self pay and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

Yes, it's worth it. The journey is incredible and my life is filled with blessings every day.