Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering what everyone was eating post-op. Tomorrow will be my first full day of having the band, and all I have been eating is popcicles. Thanks for the input, everything is appriciated!

I'm 2days post op feel lots better today. My doc gave me a booklet with all the things that i was allowed to eat for the first 48hrs as follows.....Water, sugar free Jello, chicken & beef broth, sugar free popcicles, coffee no cream and apple (or any fruit use) (no sugar added) juice.< /p>

What did your doctor recommend? For me, it was 48 hours of clear liquid, and then my diet advanced according to a schedule. For about two weeks, each meal was 1.5 Tbs of pureed Protein. After that, it was moist, solid Protein. Over time, the amount increased very gradually. At 2 months, nonstarchy veggies were introduced. At 3, I can add a serving of fruit each day....

Each doctor has his/her own recommended schedule for advancing diet---it's always interesting to see what others are doing!

I was on clear fluids only the day of surgery- I was on full liquids for the next two weeks-- including juice, milk, Protein drinks, strained creamed Soups (I chose ones without actual cream in them, though). And Jello (I hate jello). Basically only things you can drink through a straw.

Now I'm on a blended diet for two weeks.

Hopefully your doctor gave you an outline of what you can/can't eat-- every doctor is slightly different.

Yesterday was my surgery. My post op instructions just said "liquid diet for 2 weeks post-op - clear wasn't specified. I ate a very small amount of strained cream Soup and a little bit of fat free frozen yogurt (really helped the throat).

The hospital wouldn't even give me juice or anything.....I thought that was weird.

i'm two days post op. the day before surgery i was on all Clear Liquids. then npo the night before surgery and all day the day of surgery. after the recovery room they gave me ice chips and then switched me to tepid Water. my doc wants me doing 4 8oz Protein Shakes a day and also 64 oz of other liquids, too. i don't see how i'll ever get all that in. today i've gotten in one Protein Shake and maybe half a bottle of water. i just start feeling full and feeling pain in the chest if i drink too much. they say they want you drinking 2oz every 15 minutes equaling to 8 oz an hour. so it would essentially take me 4 hours to do the four Protein shakes and then another 8 hours to get in the rest of the 64oz liquids they want me taking. that would mean i have to be up non stop for 12 hours and drinking every minute that i'm awake. this sounds insane to me! but i'm trying.

I was on clear liquids the day of surgery, water(small amount only) the day of surgery and then clear liquids for three days following surgery. Days 4-7( where I am now) is full liquids(Blenderized Soups, meats, yogurt shakes). Weeks 2 & 3 is pureed and Week 4 is Semi-Soft. No clear picture has been presented as to timing of eating or amount - just three meals and 2 Protein shakes a day. I've had to do a bit of research myself. Today's Menu:

- Breakfast - 1/2cup skim with 1/2cup yogurt +1/2 scoop Protein

- lunch - An Adkins shake with an added scoop of Protein powder

- dinner - 1 cup of Campbell's Select Corn Chowder blenderized with 1.5oz canned chicken.

Hi

My doctor & dietician recommended fluids for 2 weeks, i.e., anything that will go through a regular straw. My first priority was getting my 3 Protein Shakes in, followed by anything extra. I wasn't able to get 3 shakes down, usually one shake and some strained Soup, plus a juice with Protein Powder added.

I'm supposed to start mushies on Thursday, but have added in some custard and yoghurt in the last few days. Tonight I had pureed roast chicken and vegies, loved it, and no problems.

It varies by doctor. I was on each postop stage (liquids, mushies, etc.) for 2-3 days and back on solid foods at 2 weeks.

Whatever it was that your Surgeon specified is what you should be eating, is what you SHOULD be eating. If you have any questions about what that might be, contact your Surgeons office.

A lot of people don't understand how important it is to follow their Surgeons instructions to the LETTER....but it is vitally important, for a number of reasons.

So, if he/she didn't spell it out for you, call their office.

I had my surgery on March 11th. I have been on liquids only. Water, popsicles, chicken broth. I finally had a Protein shake and I have been drinking Protein Water.

Good luck.

Lorraine

A lot of people don't understand how important it is to follow their Surgeons instructions to the LETTER....but it is vitally important, for a number of reasons.

The fact that there is a wide range in 'advice' regarding postop diets suggests that there is no real reason for one person being on solids in a week and another still on nothing but liquids a month later other than the personal preference of the doctor.

Communicate with the doctor, definitely...but make sure there is logic and reason behind what you're told and not just 'well, we've always done it this way.'

Edited by ElfiePoo

The fact that there is a wide range in 'advice' regarding postop diets suggests that there is no real reason for one person being on solids in a week and another still on nothing but liquids a month later other than the personal preference of the doctor.

Communicate with the doctor, definitely...but make sure there is logic and reason behind what you're told and not just 'well, we've always done it this way.'

If you are suggesting that because some Doctors provide different instructions than others, that the patient should eat whatever they feel like based upon chatter on an internet forum, then you are doing a serious disservice to the patient.

The assumption here is that the patient has performed due diligence in their selection of a surgeon, and they have chosen one that is very experienced both in General Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, and specifically the Lap Band. If this is the case, then there is no reason NOT to follow their directions to the letter, and plenty of reasons for them TO follow the directions.

There are generally accepted protocols and methodologies for installing, filling, and maintaining the Lap Band, but as more people have the Lap band, and more research is performed on the outcomes, these protocols change. Doctors will also change their own instruction to patients based upon their own observation on the outcomes of their surgeries. In other words, they KNOW what works for THEIR patients. And you should listen to them.

If you do not TRUST your Surgeon enough to follow their instructions precisely, then you have very likely chosen the wrong surgeon.

The fact that there is a wide range in 'advice' regarding postop diets suggests that there is no real reason for one person being on solids in a week and another still on nothing but liquids a month later other than the personal preference of the doctor.”

And just where do you THINK the Surgeon gets his or her “personal preference”? From their EXERIENCE in compiling the results of the surgeries. A competent surgeon performing surgeries of any kind will keep track of what works and what doesn’t, ESPECIALLY in situations like this, where the outcomes can be so variable. They have their preferences for a reason…..they have WORKED for that surgeon.

There is one other reason to follow your doctor’s advice that people usually do not take into consideration. If for some reason things do not go well with your Lap Band, and if any of the numerous “bad things” that can happen do happen to you, and you end up having to sue your surgeon, one of the first things they will ask you is “did you follow your doctor’s instructions?”…..and you had better be able to say YES without hesitation.

I am not going to get into a discussion here about lawsuits and the Lap Band and malpractice and all of that, but there have been situations where lawsuits were necessary, and to be on the winning end of the lawsuit you have to be able to say in all honesty you did indeed follow all of the instructions provided to you.

IF you are continuing to have problems, not losing any weight, etc, then you need to seek out a 2nd opinion, from another Bariatric Doctor….one that you have researched THOROUGHLY.

But until such time as you feel that way, you really NEED to follow your Surgeons’ instructions.

If you are suggesting that because some Doctors provide different instructions than others, that the patient should eat whatever they feel like based upon chatter on an internet forum, then you are doing a serious disservice to the patient.

You and I obviously look at life in different ways and will never see eye to eye. I look at my doctors as just one more resource...kind of like the internet, medical books, etc. I take their advice and choose whether or not to accept it in part or whole...or at all...and I let them know why. It has nothing to do with 'not' trusting them. I trust them...but I also know that they are just as fallible as we are and prone to illogical bias.

Years back I had a doctor who wanted to put me on birth control pills to regulate my cycle following a miscarriage...despite the fact that all of the warnings said that the risk of cancer was higher among overweight women who had a family history of cervical cancer and no live births. Against my doctor's advice, I chose not to take them. That is an 'informed' decision. To follow her advice just so I could 'sue' her when I got cancer is kind of silly.

When people come here and see that there are various ways of doing the postop diet, they may choose to go against what their doctor is advising. For example, choosing to phase foods back in as others are doing vs. a 30 day liquid diet. That is their choice and nothing wrong with it...as long as they are making an informed decision.

I am not counselling anyone to go against their doctor's advice. I *am* counselling them to take charge of their own care. To do the research and challenge their doctors at what seems to be unreasonable and/or illogical methods. I would further counsel that if their doctor is the type to say "because I said so" or has a God complex, to find a new one post haste.

It is possible, however, to disagree with our physicians while still trusting them. I have that kind of relationship with mine and we get along just fine.