Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something is not right

I have told no one about the whole lapband thing. Yet suddenly my friend is saying stuff like "hey i'm thinking about going on a liquid diet what about you?" and telling me how she doesn't like the weight she's gaining (even though she's dropped ALOT since getting her tonsils out). And her boyfriend is "freaking out" saying that the only people who get that done are people who are getting a lapband or gastroblahblahblah and then telling me it would be dumb to do something like that and hurt my body.

Something isn't right...I know she wouldn't be considering this. Do they know? Am I paranoid?

Seems a bit odd she'd be bringing up these very topics. If you are sure you want to keep private, I'd shut right up and nod and agree and tell what you know and really really don't be paranoid (even if you are). If you don't want her to know, you don't have to say. Own it. Live it. She may have a hint? Sounds as if she might. Maybe you aren't being as secretive as you'd like. Do you trust her well enough to tell her? Woulld she spill the Beans to her BF even if you ask her not to?

That's a tough one. Good luck!

I dunno but that's insane. This is something i want to keep VERY private and don't know what to do. Avoid her when I actually do go through my liquid phase?!? Eating is a staple of our group. She would know something was up...UGH

Drum up some info on a colon cleanse diet and give it to her. See if she want's to do it with you. Keep her distracted since you are doing it together. Liquid diets are done all the time, not just pre-WLS.

Or you could do the whole laporoscopic gall bladder removal surgery scenario. Then you can tell her about your surgery, the date, the pre-op diet to shrink the liver and go easy on your bladder...get the real scoop on gall bladder problems and run with it.

Smart idea, thanks!

Gerd, recent bout of flu, bowel obstruction, pancreatitis, upcoming scope... upcoming diet goal for quick results... All reasons one would be on a liquid diet for a bit. Who says she has to know how long you've been or will be on it. Maybe SHE is considering it, and is feeling you out to see whether you would support her. Just ask her..."What's with all the weight loss questions... are you thinking of taking a step in that direction?" If she admits she's heard you were, you could share with her that if you DID do something like that, for one thing you would think it very personal and not something you'd want everyone talking about. Secondly, admit that you think it "dumb" to kill oneself with weight complications, when there are very safe low risk ways to intervene for the sake of better health, and then even dumber that people who don't know much about it are so quick to judge it as a poor choice, "I mean really how the heck do THEY know?" If she pushes you to say if you are, ask... "do you really think I'm THAT over weight? DAMN! Maybe I SHOULD consider it! Thanks a lot!" GEEZ....

Anyway, good luck...

HAHA Pam thats not a bad idea either...*sigh* i'm going to be worring about this for a VERY long time now.

You ever give a thought to maybe she didn't have her tonsils removed? Maybe she was banded? Only someone who has pretty seriously looked into WLS would really know about the pre or post op diet of liquid Protein. She doth protest too much. I mean, you said she's lost a ton of weight since her so called tonsillectomy, why would she consider going on a liquid diet if she believed it were only for people who were having or have had WLS? Think about it and pay really close attention to what she is eating, you could even ask her weight loss tips since you said she has already lost a great deal of weight. Turn the tables, sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

Just a thought, but I'd be awfully curious about her bringing up the whole issue they way she has. Good luck.

Cindy

no i took care of her when she was out of surgery and for a week or so after that...good thinking though