Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infections and port removal

Guest rockartcreation

Guest rockartcreation

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to lap band talk. Have been on Obesity Help's message board since before I was banded over 6 months ago. Another bandster there (Ann Marie - Hi!) suggested I ask this here.

My mom was banded about 2 months ago. 3 days after she got out of the hospital, she landed back in with a nasty infection. After 3 extra days days in the hospital, she went home on (very expensive) antibiotics. After the antibiotics were over, she thought she was cured.

A few weeks ago she had her first fill. Her Dr. had a heck of a time finding her port - dug around alot - but finally got 1.5 ccs in a 4 cc capacity band. Last week she reported to me and her Dr. that the infection was back and oozing.

Right now she's contemplating port removal and replacement. Here's the questions:

1. Has anyone had port infection problems that were cured with medication alone?

2. If you had the port out, how long did you wait to replace it with a new port?

3. Are you living happily ever after with the second port?

4. Any other information to share?

My mom's an RN who works in labor and delivery, so she doesn't want to return to work until the infection is cleared up. She is retired and works part time, so it's not financially devastating to not work, but she does usually work one day per week. She's right now mentally willing to remove the port. Just wants the infection to go away.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sorry to hear about your Mom's infection, but maybe a girl with the name of DeLarla on hear has been through having an infected port and having it removed. Perhaps you could private message her, I know she'd be glad to help out, she's really nice.

Cindy

I've had two ports removed due to port infection. Mom needs hers removed immediately since port infections are believed to lead to erosion. You can follow tons of threads and posts with my name for a novel on the subject of port infection. In summary, the doc who put your mom on antibiotics wasted her time, money and hope. No antibiotic can kill a port infection; the antibiotics will appear to make her feel better for a period of time, but the infection will come back once she stop taking them. Some docs keep patients on antibiotics for months (very sadly) for no reason or recovery.

I have a list of surgeons as long as my arm that will confirm this. Before allowing my first port to be removed, I called 5 band surgeons. She needs to wait AT LEAST six months before getting a new port. PM me if you want to swap phone numbers, or just click on my screen name and read the rest of the book.

I currently don't have a port - long story but it's all in the "book" here at LBT.

Best wishes to mom. You're a good kid for caring :rolleyes: