Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Living- Is This the EZ Way Out?

I was responding to a forum posting by someone who was having a hard time. She was wondering out loud if weight loss surgery was the easy way out. Apparently, that’s what she was hearing from people in her life. I know I have worked very hard to get to where I am today, healthy and at a normal weight. EASY WAY OUT? I don't think so. After battling obesity from the time I was 2 years old, the band finally gave me the means to win the battle. Almost 6 years later I am still having little skirmishes although I am maintaining my weight loss. Take last night for example. I made a great dinner- some salad a piece of salmon and some quinoa. I know exactly how much I can eat, but still put too much on my plate. I also knew when I was full, but continued eating past it, and was forced to pay the not so pleasant consequences of a hard stop. Why do I still do that on occasion? I don't know, but every day, with every meal I still need to make the correct choices. And every morning when I wake up I am still amazed that I am no longer fat. Face it- we all have issues with food- I definitely do, and it will continue to be a challenge for me. That's why we are all out here on line supporting each other, learning from each other. I plan to go back to basics today- everything served on a dessert size plate because that's all I can eat! What was I thinking? The point is, I wasn't...mindless eating is what got me to where I needed the band to gain some control and I am not about to let it take over again. So now you have my two cents on Gastric Banding- Is it the Easy Way Out? What do you think?

Yes, for me it is the easy way. Why would I want to keep trying to win the weightloss battle the hard way?

I don't care what kind of way out it is. It's a way OUT.

I was unable to find the way out--despite numerous tries over decades--anywhere else.

Easy? I don't think so.

But let's say it is...just for the sake of argument.

I'm okay with that. It can be whatever kind of way out it wants to be-----as long as I get to keep that light at the end of the tunnel.

It was never there before.

I don't care what kind of way out it is. It's a way OUT.

Ditto,ditto, ditto, ditto!!

Nobody has made that comment to me yet but my response has been rehearsed, "What is wrong with taking the easy way out?"

Let's say it is the easy way out. So what.

Do you really believe obesity is a medical condition? A disease? If you do then why not treat that disease with the most effective treatment known? If you had cancer and had the options of chemo or an effective treatment that would not make you sick and bald, would your friends and family expect you to take the chemo? Would they tell you that taking the other treatment was "taking the easy way out"? Would you see them for the asses they are if they did?

If those around you see being fat as a moral failing and not a medical issue, then I suppose they would view your choosing an effective treatment as "cheating". After all, you should stay fat and unhappy as punishment for your poor character. An inner deficiency made visible and public would seem just to them.

This debate should not even exist. If there is an easy way out (and I don't think WLS is easy), wouldn't you be a fool not to take it?

I HATE the thought that people think this is the easy way out and I get extremely defensive when anyone says that to me.

In fact I don't think it could be any harder for me. I struggle everyday with not being able to "turn to food" for comfort anymore, instead I have replaced it with exercise - but even then, every morning I force myself to get into the gym. I struggle with the emotion of not being able to eat what I used to eat when I go out with friends for dinner. I miss eating the foods that I can't tolerate now. Don't get me wrong, getting the band was the best thing I have ever done, and I LOVE it...but it wasn't an "easy way out" for me at all. It has forced me to change my ways (which of course is absolutely brilliant), but I too have ALWAYS been overweight since a child and I struggle with the changes that I have/are making to make this band work for me.

The band can only take you so far, without exercise and eating right, it's not going to give you the full benefit - and that is consistently weighing on my mind aswell...I work out 5 days a week now because I don't want to become too flabby and I know as I lose weight, I'm going to have to keep increasing the exercise and motivation to keep it up, which again, is a daughting (but exciting) thought....I could go on and on but I won't bore you any longer haha

So from me...ABSOLUTELY NOT the easy way out! :smile2:

I HATE the thought that people think this is the easy way out and I get extremely defensive when anyone says that to me.

So from me...ABSOLUTELY NOT the easy way out! :smile2:

I have to agree, It's not been easy. I've worked very hard. When my non banded freinds say that ,I often tell them that only a person that's not been banded would say that. The only thing that has been easier for me is the fact that I can't quit like I've done on all other diets. The band stays with me and keeps me going everyday. And if I wanted to talk myself into a cheeseburger or other things I use to stuff in my face the band always tells me Hell No! that's the only part that's remotely easier for me.

I think its the easy way out, that doesnt mean theres any thing wrong with it. We all know that it is harder to keep weight off without the band or none of us would have had it done. Yes its still hard but not AS hard therefore its the easier option. I am forever gratefull that the option is available.

Let's say it is the easy way out. So what.

Do you really believe obesity is a medical condition? A disease? If you do then why not treat that disease with the most effective treatment known? If you had cancer and had the options of chemo or an effective treatment that would not make you sick and bald, would your friends and family expect you to take the chemo? Would they tell you that taking the other treatment was "taking the easy way out"? Would you see them for the asses they are if they did?

If those around you see being fat as a moral failing and not a medical issue, then I suppose they would view your choosing an effective treatment as "cheating". After all, you should stay fat and unhappy as punishment for your poor character. An inner deficiency made visible and public would seem just to them.

This debate should not even exist. If there is an easy way out (and I don't think WLS is easy), wouldn't you be a fool not to take it?

I'm with you, Bree. I think it is a medical condition and a very poorly understood one. For me, the lap-band® is the ONLY way-out. I've done the hard way repeatedly and that makes it a dead end street, not an exit from the obese life. I truly believe that someday, a researcher will discover that the obese have serious metabolic issues and this is not simply a matter of willpower. I know how different I feel with my band. It makes me feel normal, that's not a matter of willpower. I truly think there is something physically wrong with me that needed to be corrected. I've corrected my problem and I'm healthier for it. It hasn't been easy, but it works! and itwould be crazy to repeat all my past failures.

Cindy

Easy way out maybe but i still have to think about my weight everyday how much i should eat, how much i should exercise, should i eat that cookie, did i loose anything this week and on on on. For those who think it is the easy way let them get banded. Yes it has made my journey smother and the road isn't as rocky but there is still potholes in the road but the band will get me to my destination. I am very blessed to have taken this route.

Edited by reneek

Recently, I've been trying to keep in mind that, for everyone who struggles with weight loss issues, no matter what path they choose, there is no easy journey. Each path has it's own particular challenges. Hey, if there were a magic wand out there, we'd all have found it, and no one would have a problem. So, I don't think of my choice as easy or hard, but rather, as the right choice for me...and I'm mindful of being respectful of others who have taken different paths.

That all having been said, my friends, I would defend to the end that WLS ain't for sissies, and we should all be honored for having the courage to go there. When I made my decision, I cried, so disappointed in myself that I couldn't seem to make it work any other way. Now, 8 months later, I'm so glad I hung in there and went through with it.

Have a great day!

Christine

Let's just say that WLS is the easiest way out known to man.

Why is that a bad thing? I don't understand what is wrong with taking the easy way out. Therefore, I don't understand the need to justify it.

I think its the easy way out, that doesnt mean theres any thing wrong with it. We all know that it is harder to keep weight off without the band or none of us would have had it done. Yes its still hard but not AS hard therefore its the easier option. I am forever gratefull that the option is available.

I agree with you. I feel like it is the easy way and will be much more effective than all the other weightloss options when it comes to keeping the weight off. I have delt with more difficult things in my life and try not to dwell on things that may be a little difficult with the band.

I'm not saying the people who are having to work so hard are wrong at all. I just have not had to work so hard that it changes my thoughts on it being the easy way.

Wow, lots of mixed feelings here, but what comes through loud and clear for me is that banding is "easy" in that it works, but not "easy" in terms of what I (or each of us) has to put in it. I think the agreement is that the band, along with changes in what each of us do helps us lose weight, and, for the first time in our lives, keep it off. Also, easy is not a bad thing, and may actually be the wrong choice of words. I was suggesting easy from the point of view of what people who have never had our struggles see as out choice to have surgery. I know, because I thought that way too - I would never have weight loss surgery- it's the easy way out AND it is dangerous. Well, here I am, almost 6 years out, having had the courage to have surgery, and the motivation to learn and implement new habits and make them a part of my life. I could not have done this without the band..Nope, not easy, but the RIGHT way. Congratulations to everyone who has had the courage to make the choice.

The journey continues for me.

sorry, but this is the hardest damn thing i've ever done!

It was not easy shelling out thounsands of dollars of my OWN money to pay for this. I was too fat for insurance and unfortunately the gov thinks students dont need help (sorry my rant)

It was not easy learning to re-eat...ask anyone who had to step out for 30 min during a meal and try to explain what was happening

For some of us, it was not easy giving up the comfort of food.

The only easy thing with the band was that i gave me the first experience of feeling "full" I had ever had in my life. It has given me a chance to finally loose the weight. It is nothing more than a tool. For some, the band life came easy and allowed them what they could not do for so long. However, without that ever so hard life change, we will not loose the weight. So for those looking for an easy way out...keep looking. For those who know they need the help and are willing to change, try the band.

I have a long battle to fight, but with the band, I am fighting vs before the band when I was already defeated.

I agree with what people said before, it is not the easy way out, but it is a way out.