Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking??? Any Smokers out there???

Hi Everyone!

My name is Michele, I am 27 yrs old and I just signed up for LBT yesterday. I was banded on Jan 4th 2010.

I was wondering if there are any smokers out there? I know the doctors stress that you need to quit smoking and I was able to quit for 3 weeks prior to my surgery, but then I was still able to eat...since I have been banded I have unfortunately picked up this habit again and I am worried...Can someone explain to me why they dont want you smoking?? I realize in general all doctors will tell you to quit, but is there something specific that can hurt the band or something?

Also, it has been almost 2 months and I am still sore near my port...is this normal??

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS,

Michele

Smoking cuts down on the amount of oxygen that reaches your heart and causes hypertension. This affects your entire body including your band.

It is best that you quit but that won't happen until you really want to do it for yourself and are ready.

When you are ready, try the Nicotrol Inhalers. you get your nicotine orally and you have something told hold in your mouth like a cigarette. It worked for me and I had been smoking for about 30 years.

I can't help with port question.

According to my Dr. smoking can cause ulcers, I mean, well among the other reasons you shouldn't smoke. You are taking this journey to prolong your life and smoking is just cutting it back for you.

I quit smoking a year ago, and it took 6 months to realize how different things taste and smell. You can do it, you just have to set your mind to it :scared2:

Good Luck

Emily

Banded 2-22-10 and feeling fantastic :)

I quit 2.5 weeks before surgery and since then I haven't had any heartburn indigestion etc.

Aside from the usual suspects of why we shouldn't smoke, it definitely has an effect on the healing process, which MIGHT explain your pain but I really don't know. Also, smoking breaks down the collagen and elasticity of your skin, thus increasing the possibility of the dreaded "loose skin" (which I don't want but would rather have than skin full of fat lol

All that aside....I'm dying for a cig LOL :)

My Dr. didn't get more specific other than saying, look - you're getting surgery to be more healthy, so quit smoking too. Sorry I coudn't be more help with that. I've never smoked but one cigarette my whole life and it made me so ill!

My port does hurt still from time to time and I was banded over 2 years ago now. I tried mentioning this to my Dr. and he said it's common even years later. He's not a bad Dr. but I'm not sure if that's good enough for me. I mean it's never *super* bad but ya know... if I knew it'd hurt all the time I don't know if I would have chosen the band.

Anyway, best of luck! It's a struggle no matter what!

My doctor said to quit because I should. He said it does not do anything to the band. There are no additional side effects when smoking after you have been banded. Its my choice.

I'm a smoker, I tried to quit and it didn't work well for me. Dr. told me to quit 4 weeks before surgery and I put forth one hell of an effort. But he had no problem with me standing outside the day after surgery smoking other then the normal reasons. Not saying it's right but it's what I do. I keep telling myself I'll quit once I reach goal. Hope so anyway. I have given up so much I just can't seem to add another thing to that list right now.

As for smoking....My doctor says the same as the other's that have replied. It doesn't effect the band, just your health in general.

as for the port hurting. Mine still hurts and I was banded in May '09. My mom was banded almost 5 years ago, and still hurts. your body is shifting with your weight loss, and since that is stitched in, it's also moving too. When i notice I've lost more weight in my stomach, that's when I feel the pain the most.

Good luck!

I'm a smoker...Surgeon told me to quit too but just the normal reason and that it's bad for healing.

He knew I was a smoker before and knows I'm still a smoker after. Just don't lie to your doctors about it. For your doctor to help you, the need to knoe the truth.

I'll quit someday. I quit when I was pregnant and nursing but picked it right back up. I quit at the beginning of 2009, picked it up 3 weeks later. It's just so hard. Now, with excersise, I seem to smoke less. Instead of going out to have a cig, I jog around the cul de sac. Then I'm breathing so hard, I can't smoke!

hi, i am not a daily smoker, but i do smoke sometimes on the weekends.....2-4 ....i know i shouldn't, because when i go to the gym i definitely feel the difference..........so what i do now is i try to do more exercise, so i remember how bad i felt when i smoke......so my advice, start doing some excercise, and it'll help you with the craving. goodluck:thumbup: