Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to group BMI 30 surgery in May

Who in Mexico are you using?

I'm seeing Dr. kuri. My Doctor said she would work with me

but she really knows nothing about WLS. These were her words as she was backing out the door looking at her watch. I'm so happy to have Canadian health care.:thumbup:

Ok. I've done it. I'm schduled for May 10th with Dr. Kelly in TJ. I must be crazy.....

HI!

i wanted to but in too..coz i have a low bmi of 33 and im signed up for my band...getting fitted on WEDNESDAY! ah! im soo excited...bit nervous too!

Im female, 21 years old and need to loose 50 pounds to be at my good weight.. im english and living in dubai- where i will get the band done!

Just wanted to say hello, its soo nice to read other bandsters stories and to see thats its worked for you, especially with low bmi's too.

is there anyone out there nearer to my age?

Ive struggled with my weight ever since i can remember, i always excercised and dieted but nothing worked and every year i seem to get heavier and heavier..i dont want to have to wait until im in my 30s or 40s before getting this doen because i want to start living now. I think im making the right decision thugh i know alot of people will look down on me for getting this done, especially saying im too young..

looking forward to hearing feedback!

Im female, 21 years old and need to loose 50 pounds to be at my good weight.. im english and living in dubai- where i will get the band done! ]

I was overwieght at 21 too and I lost and gained and gained and lost. the statistics are that you have less than 5% chance of keeping your weight off.

Why wouldn't you see a doctor for a known illness. Why are we thinking we can do the same thing(DIET) and end up with different results?

(I've struggled with my weight ever since i can remember, i always excercised and dieted but nothing worked and every year i seem to get heavier and heavier..i dont want to have to wait until im in my 30s or 40s before getting this doen because i want to start living now. I think im making the right decision thugh i know alot of people will look down on me for getting this done, especially saying im too young..)

now that I'm older:eek: I relize that through my constant dieting and execising I have actually harmed myself.

My metabolism is shot. I have thyroid problems because I

starved myself....

Why would you put yourself through that?

You are young take advantage of the technology. If you think people are looking down on you and saying your too young ask them "How long does skin stretch before it won't shrink back?" "Is it better to change my lifestyle when I'm young OR when I have really developed some nasty habits?"

"Is it better that I'm Sick with diabetes and High blood pressure so I can die of a heart attack."

looking forward to hearing feedback!

No young is the best time to really kick the weight to the curb.

Ok. I did it. I have scheduled band surgery with Dr. Kelly in TJ on May 10th. I had a long talk with him on the phone last week and feel comfortable. My main concern is the after care and getting fills. In his opinion, he thinks US doctors are not agressive enough on fills, requiring their patients to come in more frequently. He thinks three times in the first year. since I live in CA, I'm thinkng that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have him take care of my fills.

I am sooooo tired of my insane yoyo dieting life. I know this is just a tool and commitment and compliance are important, but I think this is a tool I really need.

Way to go! Mommydog14! I know that it is the tool I need as well.

I have 10 days till i am a bandster.

I am also a low bmi (32) and anxious for surgery. I have researched Dr. Ortiz in Mexico and am a little leary about leaving the country. I'll take all the input I could get. :)

I was banded on 3/24 by Dr. Kuri in Tijuana, MX and had the greatest experience. He works out of the same hospital as Dr. Ortiz so I can certainly vouch for the hospital experience! Dr. Kuri and his staff were so caring and professional. We were treated as royalty. When we got home I had a question and while I was expecting to be told that the doctor would get back to me, I was put right through to him. When we were there, he told me to put is number in my cell phone and call whenever I had a question or problem. Well, I did and he was there for me! Love him!

The most important thing once you choose your surgeon is to line up after care unless you are planning on going back to TJ for your fills. Dr. Kuri, by the way, offers free for life fills. No other doctor does that. He told me its an incentive for his patients to come back from time to time to visit and let him see your progress. Did I mention I love him?

Good luck with your decision.

thanks golden, well im booked in now..operation is on wednesday! I cant wait!

im doing this for me, i know its right, i want to live now and not waste any more time hiding away. Ive tried so hard to loose weight and dont think of this as the easy way out at all because i know how much i have to put into it and this is for me. I dont care what anyone else thinks because they dont know my body and the struggles ive had with it! So stuff them! LOL

This is what makes us happy! ! :thumbup:

I will let you know how it all goes later on in the week and then im on to the liquid diet...hope im going to be ok on that for 2 weeks...coz im worried ill be getting hungry! LOL.

Golden and MommyDog..you must write on when u have ur bands dones and let me know how its all going etc! This site is awesome, helped me soo much and is making me feel so good knowing other peoples expereinces, tips and successes.

hi jessicastokes1 Hope all goes well today Thinking of you and including you in my prayers!

I was banded in december. I've lost 31 pounds in 4.5 months. Compared to everyone else...this is not much. But I've never been this small. I'm 5'9, and I'm 179 now. It comes off a lot slower, like 1-2 pounds a week. But it comes off. I have almost no side effects too, because I was healthy and 'smaller'. I can eat what ever I want, i just have to really chew dry or tough meat and put some gravy or something on it. I can eat everything else though, and rarely think about chewing or anything else to do with my eating. I get "stuck" every so often, but have never thrown up. It's just like swallowing a really big pill that feels "stuck" for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. uncomfortable, not unbearable. I eat a lot less though, and my "binge" is like a whole sandwich. so far, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Edited by milescollins
added to it

It doesn't WORK for some people because many of our overweight issues have nothing to do with food. i have found myself STILL self medicating with food when stressed, upset,lonely or even happy. However, I have also dealt with issues that I previously thought I was dealing with and really wasn't. The band has forced me to see somethings about myself in only a few months that I ignored for years. Also, you still have to excercize and watch what you eat, which is really hard.

By the way, I've had 3 fills. I'm at 6cc's in a 10cc band. I can still eat a small plate full, but that is enough restriction for me to loose about a pound and a half a week.

Glad to see you are home Jessica,

I was so glad to find this post and a group of low BMI folks. I joined the site a few days ago and posted in the intro section "to Mexico or not to Mexico that is the question". I am just starting my research and I will more then likely be going to Mexico to have the surgery..only not sure where yet. I am hoping in June. Though I wanted to try to get it done before my kids are out of school for the summer.

I already feel the stigma of having a lower BMI and going to the ::GASP:: extreme of having surgery, when I want to say frankly I know the insurance companies that do cover it consider it because of the medical need but let's be honest who doesn't want to be thin? It is as hard for me to diet and keep weight off as it for someone who weighs 50+ more pounds then I do, only instead of having to go on a calorie restricting diet for 8 months they may have to do it for a year and a half or more. It is hard either way and almost impossible to maintain.

I am not a nurse or doctor but perhaps the surgery is less risky because I do not have all the medical issues ...YET.?

Congrats to those who have their dates and for those like myself who are gearing up to set theirs.

Please keep us posted on the success. I have noticed so many people on this site that come on make 4 posts that they are having surgery (especially in mexico) and never come back to tell us how it went. It concerns me that it may be a promoter or something. :thumbup: