Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frustrated

Hi everyone, this is my first thread ever. I wanted to ask you if anyone can tell me why I can't feel anything. I had the surgery on Jan 26, 2010. My first fill was 2 cc on Feb 15, 2010 and didn't feel any restriction. My second was 2 cc (total of 4 now) last Monday but I feel no restriction, I can feel the stuff in my tummy and my doctor feels it too. But I am frustrated as I have read some of you have 4 cc and feeling restricted. Is this natural? I feel like calling the doc and tell him to add 2 more cc asap. What do you think?:wink:

I only have 3.5 ccs and have trouble eating. I just got a fill (4th) a week ago of .5 ccs and it made a huge difference in how I can eat and feel when I eat. So everyone is different. Give it some time. You do not want to be too tight.

Thanks for replying. I forgot to add mine is a 10cc. I guess yours too. It surprised me to see you got your operation done in July 09. I just had it almost a month ago. By the way, more question, have you always had less than 4 cc? How much have you lost in 7 months? Did the first month was of no losing at all(like me)? Sorry, my English is my second language.

I had my surgery on Jan 7th. I have already had 2 fills and am at 7cc's in an 11cc band. I feel some restriction but I still can eat breads (which I don't do very often only as my cheat meal). I am nervous because I am at 7cc's and it seems that a lot of ppl feel restriction at 4-6cc's.

I had my surgery on Jan 7th. I have already had 2 fills and am at 7cc's in an 11cc band. I feel some restriction but I still can eat breads (which I don't do very often only as my cheat meal). I am nervous because I am at 7cc's and it seems that a lot of ppl feel restriction at 4-6cc's.

Wow I am a year out and have 7.5cc in my band. I can't eat more than a 1/4-1/2 cup of food at a time. How much are you able to eat with the 7cc? I am just suprised how fast they filled you.

10cc band/ I have 4 cc/ Only 2 fills yet. So I call the doc and I tought he would give me another fill but instead he said I would have Xrays next week. So I think: what if everything is OK in here (which Im sure), I just have no restriction. I mean, for what Ive read most ppl have restriction above 4. I hope he then get convinced that he ought to give me another fill. He would have to, wouldn't he?:wink2:

I eat 1/2 cup of food and am full for 3-4 hours so I feel like my band is working in that sense. I was suprised also with how quickly they filled me too. I have another fill appointment on March 10th so I will ask about the restriction and ask if they will check to make sure my band is in place and no streched pouch.

Update: My surgery was in 01/26/10 and my first fill of 2 cc 2 weeks after that. A second fill of another 2cc was on 01/22/10 and didn't feel any restriction. But today I got the fluoroscopy test and the doc was telling his team that something was not OK, as he couldn't get more liquid into the port, as if the liquid was trap somewhere in the port, they were intrigued and kept moving the needle more times and finally got it, the Fluid went through and the test of the drinking barium worked out, I could actually see the restriction in the monitor. Now I have 7 cc and he told me I should give it a week or two to feel the full restriction. I’ve been drinking liquids all day and chicken broth (with little rice) for lunch and I feel no pain and I feel quite full (not very full). My point is that something in the port was stuck for the first month, apparently. I recommend one should do the fluoroscopy if restriction is not present. I will keep you updated about the developments of the restriction feeling. Thanks for your feedback.

I am a little over a year out and I have 8.5 in a 10 band. I have restriction but still at different times can eat more than a cup and other times I am as tight as anything. There are just so many variables. I exercise regularly and consume about 900 to 1000 calories a day but I too am at a plateu ughhhhh

Glad to hear your doctor did the swallowing study on you! I won't have another fill without it. If I have to pay out of pocket its worth it to me. Being to tight can cause a lot of problems. Good luck!

Carmen, this is completely normal! Don't get in a hurry, I have been doing this for 2 1/2 years! The band is not a quick fix, you have to do your part in portion size and exercise. I have had to have my fluids removed twice, now that is discouraging! Once because I was having surgery and another because I was over the sink with every meal. To date I have lost approx. 70 lbs. They have now got me up to 8 CC's in a # 14 band. It was explained to me today, that there is new research out. You absolutely must wait 1 1/2 to 2 min. between bites. This is why: The way the band works is the food passes thru the small hole, but the band pushes it back up. This happens about 3 times, stimulating the nerve which tells the brain you are satisfied, the band can only hold about 4-6 oz. of food, I tried it tonight and it really does work. It's hard to wait between bites, but I was satisfied with about 5 oz. of food. With my first fills it took til I got about to 7 CC's in a #14 band. So don't get discouraged, stay with the program, you will get there! It's a slow process, but it does work! I wish you the most success! Hang in there!

DebC: thanks for your reply and encouragement. And the info about wait between bites is really interesting and gives me hope. I will definitly put it in practice. In fact I havent' really been able to give the band the opportunity to work as it should until today, I hope to be in what ppl call sweetspot. And if not, I will keep on trying to be there.

Remember Carmen....the band is a tool and we have to learn how to use the tool! I have been at this for 2 1/2 years and am still learning, I have been trying to wait between bites and it is really helping, hang in there girl, you can do this!

carmen - watch the rice - it expands in your tummy - you don't want to stretch your pouch

talk to your nutrionist for foods you should avoid

You will get there...it just takes time. That is one of the reasons you want to wait at least 2-4 weeks between fills. Remember as you loose, the sweet spot will change cause the band will get loose again. Remember to eat Protein first, it will keep you full longer