Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Huacuz in Tijuana...Beware! He banded an esophagus!

Hi. I'm not a patient, but the very close friend of a patient named Laura that went to Dr. Daniel Huacuz for LapBand on Feb 5, 2010. She went thru an agency called "World Med Assist" to find him. They said he came highly recommended and after going to his site, we felt confident that all would be well.

Not wanting for her to go alone to get it done, she and I traveled together from Houston, TX to San Diego on Feb 4 and was picked up by Victor (the driver) at noon on Feb 5. After arriving to the clinic, they started her IV and did some preliminary tests and took her in for surgery at around 6pm. It was a short surgery..within an hour they came to tell me that she was in recovery. I remember thinking to myself...wow, that was quick! That first night was pretty rough for her. She was extremely nauseated and in alot of pain. The following day she didn't feel any better but was taken (along with two other patients) to another clinic for a flouroscopy and fill. At that time, Dr. Huacuz placed 1cc in her band. It was all downhill from there.

After getting a massive shot for pain, we flew back to Houston that Sunday with big dreams of her finally being able to lose the weight that she's wanted to lose for so long. Now, here we are 12 days later...never in a million years did I think we would be experiencing what we are going through right now. Since we returned back to Texas, Laura has been in a lot of pain. I have watched her like a hawk and made sure she followed all of the dietary rules that he set forth for her. That really hasn't even been an issue because everytime she drinks anything it HURTS too bad....

Yesterday, Laura finally couldn't take it anymore and went to the doctor here. He took X-rays, did another flouroscopy on her and did all sorts of blood work. The result: we found out that Dr. Huacuz placed the Lap Band around her esophagus ...not several inches down as to create a small stomach like there is supposed to be with LapBand placement. Basically, Dr. Huacuz restricted her esophagus so that she couldn't get hardly anything into her stomach. She is in so much pain because anything that she eats or drink backs up in her esophagus until it drains down into her stomach.

We asked the Dr here why on earth Dr. Huacuz would have done that...simply put, he said "Because it is easier". Trust me, the Dr. here wasn't trying to bad mouth Mexican physicians or make Laura feel bad for going to Mexico where it was cheaper. He didn't have to...the proof of what Dr. Huacuz did to her was right there on the X-ray film.

Anyway, the doctor here in Houston said she had two choices to fix it: 1. to drain it and have surgery as soon as possible to place it correctly. 2. to drain it, be on liquids for 8 weeks and see if it would drop down to where it might form the small stomach. He said she needed to get in touch with Dr Huacuz immediately to ask if he actually stiched it into place. If he did stitch it into place, then there was no hope of it dropping down and she would have to have surgery to place it in the correct position asap. Last night, Laura finally got in touch with Dr. Huacuz and she flat out asked him if he banded her esophagus to which he answered "Yes". He wouldn't provide her with a reason, but he did give her the courtesy of telling her that it wouldn't drop into place on it's own because he had stitched it into place. He also told her to take anti-nausea medicine because if she throws-up, that it could be "very bad"....Wtf....yes, it could be "very bad" you moron...Her esophagus could tear and she could DIE!!!

Needless to say, Laura is heartbroken and scared to death! She is back at the Dr. here in Houston this am getting it drained. She is scheduled for surgery to reposition it on Friday, Feb 26....

In my opinion, I would NEVER, EVER go to Dr. Huacuz for Lap Band or any other surgery. She paid $5200.00 to Dr. Huacuz and by not doing the procedure he was slated to perform, he put her life at risk. I just know that if he did this to her, that he is doing it to other people...and he shouldn't be able to get away with it. Not only does it put people's lives at risk but he is stealing people's dreams from them. I'm sure that like Laura, there are other people that go to Mexico out of desperation.

If you have any questions about anything I have said, please feel free to contact me.

I have heard previously that this Dr is not good. I am not sure if the threads are still on here or if they have been removed. I am so sorry that this has happened to your friend and hope that it is able to be resolved.

That it is allowed to happen is a disgrace.

For those that are still in the process of finding a surgeon there is only 1 thing to say. Make sure you research your surgeon thouroughly prior to the procedure. It doesn't matter if they are in the US, Mexico or Timbuctoo just make sure you know who/what you are choosing and do not put a cheap price above everything else.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to your friend. I do understand the desparation and wanting to be banded. I also understand the cost factors as I was self pay too. I am glad that she found a Dr. there in TX to help her. I hope he will reposition the band so she can continue her dream.

I for one am sitting here in total amazement and disbelief. I am so glad I have a Dr. that I knew going into this whole thing ahead of time. I really feel for your friends pain. I wish her the best and a fast recovery I hope you fill up in as she progresses. With everything there are people out there to steal your dreams and take your cash. We the trusting soles we are will be taken advantage of but if we hold tight and band together we will beat the crooks at their game.

Somethings never change but we the people that pay the fools that steal from us and take us for granted will suffer in the end. It is too bad Some of us have to shoulder the PAIN.

Scotty D

This is very scary and with it being a foreign country I am sure her legal options are limited to non-existant.

Thank goodness you're in Houston, where there are excellent doctors very familiar with banding to assist Laura now. There are many places in the country where it would be so hard to find someone able (or willing) to pick up the pieces of a foreign banding gone wrong---but Houston is terrific, medically, and you have lots of great resources there.

I'm really sorry she had such a terrible experience. Will her insurance cover the extensive follow-up care she'll now need?

What a scary situation!

I am so sorry that this happened to your friend, that should of never happened. I do believe in Karma though, and that Dr. is sure racking up the wrong kind!

Good Luck and Good Health to your friend!

That is just terrible for Laura. I also went to Tijuana for my lapband surgery and it was an amazing experience! I went to Dr. Ortiz and have no regrets what so ever. I think there is always a risk with any doctor in any country

Unfortunately she chose one of the bad ones :thumbup: Hope she is ok!

I am so sorry for your friend. Please let us know how she is doing from time to time. I just hate it when I hear of a crooked doctor.

That is messed up. I'm sensing....hmmm lawsuit?.... I would slap a lawsuit on this man based on malpractice because he did something that she didn't sign consent for. I work in healthcare and know this is a major no-no. I hope he has a good malpractice lawyer because your friend can get a lot of money out of this not only for pain and suffering, but general malpractice of medicine. I hope your friend finds a different surgeon willing to put the band in the correct place. Please I urge you not to use the same surgeon. This guy needs to pay up.

That is messed up. I'm sensing....hmmm lawsuit?.... I would slap a lawsuit on this man based on malpractice because he did something that she didn't sign consent for. I work in healthcare and know this is a major no-no. I hope he has a good malpractice lawyer because your friend can get a lot of money out of this not only for pain and suffering, but general malpractice of medicine. I hope your friend finds a different surgeon willing to put the band in the correct place. Please I urge you not to use the same surgeon. This guy needs to pay up.

He is practicing in Mexico. I don't think it is as easy as just picking up the phone and dialing 1-800-LAWYERS. A number 1 reason I would never consider crossing borders for surgery.

There are a couple of older threads about this quack on here. One of them includes stories from a girl who claims he killed her father.

Even if he were in the United States, I wouldn't expect a windfall from a malpractice case. Medical expenses paid? Sure--probably in triplicate. A little for pain and suffering? Yes. But there will (thankfully!) likely be no permanent disability---so the damages are limited. And that's a GOOD THING!

Still, it's lot of suffering to get 3x your medical bills (if you're lucky) in a courtroom. Particularly when you factor in what goes to lawyers and doctors!

Still, that's not the real issue. The important thing is that Laura is now in competent hands. In THIS country, where follow-up is only a short distance away.

I feel real bad for her but as it is in Mexico I think she is just lucky she found a Dr. that will fix the problem here in the State's I wish there is something that can be done to warn people of this kind of wrong doing. This woman had nothing but dreams ahead of her. To be taken away by a Man who takes short cuts knowing he will never see her again. Not right.

Melissa, I think you should post your original post on every lapband forum you can find.