Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI Alert: Constipation...

Amy - Thanks I didn't know you could get it anywhere but online. I'll check our local Walgreens too. It's awesome stuff. Not to be gross but what I like about it is not only does it make you go but the "volume" is large. I used it Friday night and weighed myself Saturday morning before I had to go. This morning I'm down 3 pounds! I feel so much lighter too. I didn't realize yogurt, Soup, and Protein shakes could constipate (or weigh) so much but I guess they can. Yesterday I also felt good enough to walk what felt like miles in costco until some moron ran his cart into my left side while I was standing looking at something. That hurt! I know he didn't mean to but I really felt like beating him. I walked it off instead.

Down 12 pounds since surgery on the 4th! Lost 14 before surgery so that is 26 total. Yeah! :redface:

Vayron

I feel your pain! Another Bandster on a different board gave me this advise. Go to Target- hopefully you have one near you. In the Vitamin isle you will find VitaFusion Fiber gummies. They are incredible! They have regular and also weight management. Obviously I chose the weight management ones. Much better than Benefiber and they taste yummy too! I was having the same problem. I ate 2 and the next day........ well lets just say things moved smoooothly. It was wonderful. Try them out!

Thanks - will definitely keep this in mind for future "experiences." :redface: Are gummies okay with the band? I'm only 10 days post op, so I'm still learning. :redface:

Amy - Thanks I didn't know you could get it anywhere but online. I'll check our local Walgreens too. It's awesome stuff. Not to be gross but what I like about it is not only does it make you go but the "volume" is large. I used it Friday night and weighed myself Saturday morning before I had to go. This morning I'm down 3 pounds! I feel so much lighter too. I didn't realize yogurt, Soup, and Protein shakes could constipate (or weigh) so much but I guess they can. Yesterday I also felt good enough to walk what felt like miles in costco until some moron ran his cart into my left side while I was standing looking at something. That hurt! I know he didn't mean to but I really felt like beating him. I walked it off instead.

Down 12 pounds since surgery on the 4th! Lost 14 before surgery so that is 26 total. Yeah! :redface:

Vayron

Oh goodness - that poor guy would have gotten an earful for sure if it had been me! I can't imagine being hit like that right now!

I can relate to the post-bm weightloss, too!! I actually gained 5lbs over that whole process, but Saturday afternoon after I returned from the ER, I was back down 5 lbs!! Hallelujah!! I was starting to get upset with myself!! :redface:

Going forward you might trying mixing a tablespoon or two of ground flax seed into your liquids & mushies. Works like a charm for me and is totally natural.

I hope you are better. I had the same thing it was awful. Called my family doctor who told me about suppositories which did help. Even used fleet enema. Never want to go through that pain again ever.

I have *never* had a problem with Constipation before this surgery. Now it's an ongoing problem.

I'm going to guess it's because prior to being banded, I was drinking close to a gallon of Water a day. Now, I struggle to remember to drink my 64 oz. Also, my diet has changed considerably...particularly since getting restriction. I'm eating less fruits and vegies (in terms of volume) so less roughage.

In the last 3+ months I've had to take a laxative 5 or 6 times because I hadn't had a BM in 4-5 days and was in pain. I finally went to the store yesterday and bought some Benefiber packets. I'll see if that helps resolve the issue.

Amy,

Sorry you had to go through all of that, but glad the issue is resolved!

Thanks everyone!! I am soooo much better! I have always struggled with mild Constipation - since I was a little girl, but have never experienced anything like this!

Unfortunately, it seems that this could be an on-going problem with the band. I hope that this thread may help others who hadn't expected it to be this serious. Every other thread I found explained problems, but very few solutions...and none of them explored the possibility of severe impaction - which could be fatal if left untreated for too long.

So please keep the suggestions coming - they are sure to help someone else in the future!! Thanks again!! :sad: :frown:

Had that problem even before surgery--would go days, so I was really in pain last week--called the doctor who recommended a stool softener and MoM. I took 2 and drank MOM--let's just say the floodgates opened two hours later. I cut it to 1 softener and MOM and it was not as bad. I am going to take my cocktail tonight! I am glad you went to the doctor--that pain does become unbearable!!:frown:

I want to do that but I figure if I get in the habit my body would become accustomed to it and I couldn't crap without it.

I hate when people complain about diarrhea. I envy them so much. :frown:

I want to do that but I figure if I get in the habit my body would become accustomed to it and I couldn't crap without it.

I hate when people complain about diarrhea. I envy them so much. :frown:

I never, ever, ever thought I'd agree with a statement like this.....but alas! I do! :sad:

I hate when people complain about diarrhea. I envy them so much. :tongue_smilie:

I too have to agree with that one as well...

Amy, you may also want to try Miralax. It is what my surgeon recommended to me to take daily. You can either buy it in the singles packs (10 to a box) or in the bulk containers. I buy the singles so I don't have to measure, but I think I might switch as the singles can be costly.

But I use it every other day now and it keeps me going every 2 or 3 days. I'm sure if I took it daily it would have me going daily.

I'm sorry you had to go to the ER to get your issue taken care of, but now that it is, I hope you are able to keep on top of it and keep things moving.

I was told to buy supositories (sp?). Use that. It'll help a lot! I didn't have Constipation, but I think it's because I have Colitis. Colitis = LOTS of potty breaks.

Amy, you may also want to try Miralax. It is what my surgeon recommended to me to take daily. You can either buy it in the singles packs (10 to a box) or in the bulk containers. I buy the singles so I don't have to measure, but I think I might switch as the singles can be costly.

But I use it every other day now and it keeps me going every 2 or 3 days. I'm sure if I took it daily it would have me going daily.

I'm sorry you had to go to the ER to get your issue taken care of, but now that it is, I hope you are able to keep on top of it and keep things moving.

Thanks - I have Miralax here for my little girl and I did give it a try that night (it was difficult to keep up with everything I tried that night). I was just too far gone for anything to work.

The only thing is, I would caution against using Miralax, or any product too often b/c it is habit forming....I don't care what any doctor says. I know this first hand. If you use Miralax too often, your body forgets how to take care of business by itself, and requires the use of more product to get the job done.

I was told to make sure to watch my diet and exercise (yeah, right! Post surgery -helloooo) and that I could drink warm, watered down prune juice daily if I started having other issues.

So now, as a preventative measure, I have about 4 oz of prune juice mixed with 2 oz of Water, heated up - every morning instead of coffee or hot chocolate (as my nurse had originally recommended). The Water cuts down on the horrible taste of straight prune juice, and I actually kind of like it now. Plus - prune juice is natural, and that makes me feel better about having it every day, even though it is pretty high in calories.

Thanks again!!