Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cruise advice?

Hi everyone,

I am going on my first cruise ever next week, Bahamas, and am looking for some general advice from anyone who has been on a cruise with the band. How did you approach food during your trip; was it difficult to manage? Did you feel like your band was looser due to the lower altitude?

Also, more specifically:

I'm traveling with a large group of family, and most of them love to eat! I've been banded just over a year and am 100 pounds down, but have been on a plateau for several months and have learned that my family is a major trigger for me to make less than great choices. My older sister was also banded last September, and has been struggling. She is not an "exercise person" and it has been hard for her to find a routine that she enjoys and can stick with; also, she is married with two young children, works nights, and is generally an all-around superwoman when it comes to taking care of everyone around her--which means she puts herself last most of the time. We are extremely close, but live 6 hours apart, so while I can give support in words, I have not had much chance to really support her with action--working out together, cooking together, spending time doing things rather than going out to eat (she lives in the small town where we grew up and dining out is one of the few, and therefore most prominent, social activities).

My cruise-specific issue that relates to this story is: I would love to take this opportunity to give her practical support while still having fun. I plan to exercise each day, and she has expressed interest in doing that with me, which is awesome. But my concern is the food! I know that I will feel the trigger to overindulge, which is my own issue to deal with--but then I also have guilt about the idea of being to rigid with my diet...like I'm too uptight and vain that I can't allow myself to have fun. And I also really don't want to make my sister feel bad about herself for wanting to indulge a bit--this is, after all, a vacation!

Ugh, I just feel conflicted, I guess. I'm so excited for all the fun we'll have, but I also don't want it to be an excuse to "forget" about the lifestyle I've worked very hard to create. Perhaps I'm over-thinking things--but any thoughts you might have on vacationing while banded would be much appreciated. Thanks for enduring my (unintentionally) lengthy post, too! :thumbdown:

Well I am not banded yet but I have been on a cruise and know how the food is a major part of the cruise experience. I wish when I went on my cruise 7 years ago I had of had teh band to help me control myself. Since you are wortied about how the rest of the family are big eater maybe you and your sister could excuse yourselves from the group after you both have finished and take a walk around the decks of the boat. Trust me it is a long way around that boat and maybe by the time you are done with your walk then your family will be ready to move on to the next activity.

A vacation with my family would be a trigger for me, too--but cruise ships are BIG and the day is long--there is plenty of time to do what you need to do for good health and still meet family demands for your time.

food is trickier, but really---you have a finite stomach capacity, so food pushers just can't enjoy all that much success with you. "No, sorry---I've eaten; you go ahead and I'll meet you at [the pool][the gym] [port]" is more than enough explanation.

If you WANT to indulge, you have room to finagle that, too.

But remember, you're responsible for YOU--and your behavior is not going to change the behavior of others. It may influence it, however; your sister is struggling--what better thing can you do than show her, by example, how well the tool can work? Do what you need to do to be comfortable with yourself---and the rest will take care of itself.

If the band is working right you wont be able to over do it too much. have a piece of cake if ya want it. It is a vacation. just dont stop moving. There are so many things to do that its hard to sit and just relax. Do an awesome excursion when youre off the ship. If you are going to nassau go check out Atlantis. I go on vacation there and I can tell you all the walking and slides, and aquariums that ya have to walk to see. Wow I lose weight when I go LOL . Very fun. Just enjoy yourself and treat yourself too:) Just my opinion.

Hi. I am preband but wanted to address your concerns on the cruise experience. Last spring I took my mother on a two week cruise. I had started to swim and eating better six months prior to the cruise. When I came back one of my friends said "You are the only person I have ever known who came back from a cruise and weighed less!" My mother and I went swimming in the mornings before Breakfast (you could go to the gym). The ships are enormous. You can burn a lot of calories walking around. We also did a lot of excursions on the islands so lots of walking. I would pick and choose my treats. Our ship had free warm Cookies all day at one of the coffe shops. I think we got 2 cookies each one day and ended up throwing half away. There was a ice cream sunday party every day at 3:00 I think we did that once. For breakfast and lunch we much preferred the buffet. At breakfast they had scrambled eggs or eggs made to order; which will be a great way to get your Protein. At dinner they have a lot of courses but you don't need to order them all. Also since there are a lot of courses the portions are on the smaller side.

I've never been on a cruise so you can skip my suggestion if you'd like.

However, what if you eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, then allow yourself a richer dinner? That way, you're having two healthy meals, and one extravagant meal.

Keep up with your exercising, maybe add a bit more, and I would imagine you'd be okay.

Just watch your alcohol intake so you're not taking in too many empty calories.

Most of all, relax and have fun!

I went on a cruse after being banded...I was super tight. Not loose. I had trouble eatting anything. They do have plenty of healthy things available...lots of baked fish and salids. I would honestly not worry about it. I am going on another one this year. Me and my Band dont travel well. And I love to travel But eatting when traveling is really difficult for me.

I would sugest you bring some Protein shake stuff just in case. But I definitly suggest you not sweating the food the more you worry about it the more you will want to eat it...

A vacation with my family would be a trigger for me, too--but cruise ships are BIG and the day is long--there is plenty of time to do what you need to do for good health and still meet family demands for your time.

food is trickier, but really---you have a finite stomach capacity, so food pushers just can't enjoy all that much success with you. "No, sorry---I've eaten; you go ahead and I'll meet you at [the pool][the gym] [port]" is more than enough explanation.

If you WANT to indulge, you have room to finagle that, too.

But remember, you're responsible for YOU--and your behavior is not going to change the behavior of others. It may influence it, however; your sister is struggling--what better thing can you do than show her, by example, how well the tool can work? Do what you need to do to be comfortable with yourself---and the rest will take care of itself.

What she said. :)

great advice....im taking my first cruise in may so i needed this.

I have been on 4 cruises and have to say the gym & spa on each ship was incredible - totally state of the art! In my experience there are always different classes to try, this is where I first tried yoga, so in taking a class you might not try at home you have some fun and get in a workout.

I agree with those who said watch out for the liquor, but will also say stay away from buffets if you can. Now that I'm post band I would go with a sit down meal to avoid eating with my eyes.

Have a great time and remember you're sister is on her journey and you are on yours. If she joins you at the gym great - if not go anyway if you wish to, have the vacation you want to have and enjoy every minute!

I have been on 4 cruises and have to say the gym & spa on each ship was incredible - totally state of the art! In my experience there are always different classes to try, this is where I first tried yoga, so in taking a class you might not try at home you have some fun and get in a workout.

I agree with those who said watch out for the liquor, but will also say stay away from buffets if you can. Now that I'm post band I would go with a sit down meal to avoid eating with my eyes.

Have a great time and remember you're sister is on her journey and you are on yours. If she joins you at the gym great - if not go anyway if you wish to, have the vacation you want to have and enjoy every minute!

It is funny how we all have different coping techniques.

I prefer the buffet when cruising. I find the portions too big in the dining rooms. At the buffet I scope out all that is available first then go back and make my selections.

Knowing that the band will not allow me to overeat helps me to keep my portion selections smaller. I also grab a salad plate rather than a dinner plate.

I have found that when I am presented with a huge portion of anything (like in a dining room) I often feel overwhelmed, and take bites that are too big or eat too fast. And as we all know, that is never a good thing!! :cursing:

Just a thought, but have you considered asking for a special meal due to health ? they can boil and bake instead of fry and saute. I am sure cruise ships have met with this before ..