Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How right after surgery did you no longer feel "restriction"?

I know I probably don't have true restriction just swelling but I was wondering how long that last. I am 2 weeks post-op today. Even though my doc request us to continue liquids/pureed foods for 3 weeks, I had a moment of weakness and and some soft foods for lunch:blushing:. I did feel full after about 10 bites of food. I had also had about 1/3 cup applesauce previous. I was surprised (and a little happy) that I felt full so quick. My thought now is this the band just simply being in place or am I still swollen?

I think you may still be a bit swollen. I'm 3 weeks post op and I feel like I can eat anything but I'm still eating pureed. I'm not sure if I'm full or not but I quit eating when I start to feel the food in my tummy at all.

I had surgery 12/22 and as I recall, it was right around 3 weeks that I lost restriction. I was actually excited that maybe I was already at my "sweet spot" :thumbdown: but I need a fill!

That is a great question I was about to ask the same thing. I am 6 days post op, and I can eat very little, I went to the doctor today and I told him that I had restriction and I asked him if that was normal and he said no, that most people don't have much restriction until they get their first fill.

:mad2:I am 9 days post-op and I'm having restriction issues too I think...it feels like something is logged in my chest! It's kinda going away. I was supposed to start full liquids, but something I ate must have been to think. So I went back to liquids for a while...any one else having this issue

If the doctor said it wasn't normal, then what did he suggest?:thumbdown:

It's been awhile but I think I had restriction for about 2 weeks after surgery.

My stomach capacity remained restricted until my first fill. So, I got full very quickly--although not on quite the limited volume recommended by my doctor. (He recommended 1.5-2 ounces of protein; I needed 2-2.5.)

Because there was no restriction to stomach emptying, though, it simply did not stick with me for long.

:mad2:I am 9 days post-op and I'm having restriction issues too I think...it feels like something is logged in my chest! It's kinda going away. I was supposed to start full liquids, but something I ate must have been to think. So I went back to liquids for a while...any one else having this issue

I had that. I'm 13 days post op and it is much better than it was. I was hospitalized for 5 days instead of the usual 1 day. My liver was large and it made the surgery more difficult. As a result I have much more internal swelling than most people. I feel like I have restriction even though that feeling is because of swelling. The stuck in your chest feeling is bad, somedays I wondered if I had made the right decision, but things are improving.

I am a 5wks post-op and still have restriction from swelling, although nothing like the first few weeks. I can eat a little more than the 1/2 cup, not much. I also do not get hungry until about 3-4hrs long. As another poster wrote, the chest pain from eating too much or too fast really keeps me from finishing most things. I actually take indigestion meds and it stops that chest pain. I actually am glad that I can eat a little more than the 1/2 cup, because I it helps me get in more calories and got me out of the plateau.

I am still a little sore around port site and must still have post-op swelling here at 2 weeks. I still am mostly on liquids. I am learning to take very small bites slooooooowwwly, and chew very well! I really must have inhaled my food before!:thumbdown:

I saw the doc today and asked him if I would still be swollen and if that is why I am still having a hard time finishing food. He said yes, I would still be sollen some. (I am 2weeks post-op) The nurse was saying that she has noticed most people get the hungrier feeling around 3weeks, as that is when your bodily fluids start getting back to normal. Sometimes I am hungry and other times not. I just have to filter out the head hunger! One more week of mostly liquids...:thumbdown: