Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!

I am four days post-op and feel pretty good. My best friend was banded by a different surgeon a month ago and she is also doing great. We have several differences in our experiences thus far though and wanted to ask some questions.

We both have the Realize Band but her port is on the left side just below her breast. My port is on my right side just to the right of my belly button. Does anyone know if this is just surgeon preference?

She is going in for her first fill on Wednesday. Is there a difference in the amount of pain you will feel based on where your port is placed? I have had some mild gas and discomfort since surgery, but have had a lot of pain at the large incision site where the port is placed. She had MAJOR gas pain, but virtually no pain at the port site.

We were just curious if anyone might be able to explain these differences. We are both very happy so far and consider ourselves lucky to be able to be on this journey together. We love reading this forum and look forward to everyone's responses! THANKS!!

NATALIE

As I read your story I thought to myself "April your a dink for not asking where your port is." I never thought to ask so I guess it will be a suprise on March 1st when I go in for my first fill. I'm guessing left side under by breast like your friend. I'm always amazed at how different each experience is for each person. Well I know this wasn't helpful I just needed to put in my 2 cents.

Thanks! I hope to get some responses on this b/c I haven't been able to find any information on why port placement is different for different people and if it makes a difference or not!

I have the realize band as well, and I think mine is under my breast too. I have a 2-inch incision under my breast, and it hurts like heck when I bend over so I guess that is where it is.

I thought it was a problem b/c I thought it was suppose to be near the belly button, but I guess it differs.

I guess it does differ. I don't know why though... That's what I'm trying to figure out...LOL. Mine hurt pretty bad for the first two days, but now I hardly notice it. My friend who has hers by her breast says she notices her all the time.

I'm not banded yet, but at my seminar, the surgeon said the port placement can vary according to how you are "arranged" inside, so to speak. Things like muscle thickness, organ placement, scar tissue from previous procedures (if any) and the like seem to affect this decision.

He said that there are two preferred locations and they base the decision at the time of surgery on which site will allow them the best opportunity for a secure placement that will not interfere with daily activity.

I am sure someone who has been banded already will be able to chime in with more useful info!

kagead

I had my surgeon use a low profile port and it's just to the right of the midline of my body and pretty much in the middle between my underneath my breast and my belly button. I had talked to surgeon several times before surgery about having it placed so it wouldn't "fight" with my ribs when I biked.

Mine hurts real bad when I bend over, and I can tell it's there. I'm only one week in so I guess it will get better.

Jessica where is yours?

I was just talking to my surgeon about this today. My port is on my right side, a few inches to the right and above my bellybutton. It's essentially his personal preference. He tries to put everyone's in the same place for consistancy but he's right handed and operates on the patients right side so he finds it easier to keep it on the right side. He said he's even seen them put up on the chest wall above the left breast, go figure.

I just had my band replaced and a new low profile port installed. My original port was on the left side by belly button. As I lost weight, I could see it badly! It was embarassing. Now, my new DR put my new port right between my breast down a bit. Where your bra will sit. It's nice and covered! Love it!!! As far as pain, I haven't had a fill yet with the new port. I'm a little nervous myself about that. The other placement it was just as bad as getting a shot. Good luck.

My port is on the lower right side and it is all to do with perference of the doctor and which side they are operating on. Some of them that are well experienced have learned from trial and error. Also she said it dependens on the amt of scar tissue they see when they get in there.....Hope this helps....