Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still losing my hair!

Ok so it's eight months since my surgery and my hair is still falling out... I get enough Protein, I take Biotin, Vitamin b, multi vitamin, use nioxin Shampoo and it is still not getting better. It is now to the point of others can notice... You can tell when people are looking at the top of your head and not your eyes when they talk to you!

I have only lost 60 pounds so it's not like I have lost massive amounts of weight as would be the problem with gastric bypass...so they say.

Anybody else experience Hair loss for this amount of time... I was hoping it would turn aroung at six months like I have seen others post...

Any feed back would be helpful... I think it's time to go see the doc to figure out what is wrong with me... I would rather be fat with hair then thin and bald! :thumbdown:

I had my surgery on Sept 18 and I am still also losing hair.< /p>

It has gotten to the point that I don't wash my hair as often because I am so tired of pulling the hair out of the drain after each shower. I lose enough in the shower that it clogs the drain.

I also hate to brush my hair since I get a handful in each brush.

My hair won't hold a curl any longer either. Not sure why, but I used to dry it then put curlers in it for about an hour and the curl would hold for two days. Now I take the curlers out and the hair goes stick straight within minutes.

I eat alot of Protein in each meal and either drink a 35 gm shake or a 49 gm protein shot every day so my protein intake is sometimes more than 100 gms a day.

I asked my surgeon and all he says is "take more protein" and "it will grow back".

I had chemo and know it is not a death sentence to be bald, but this is not what I expected. I am finally thinner but people are not noticing, all they say is "what did you do to your hair?"

Thanks Mickey!

I know, so many people go through hair loss with chemo and I shouldn't be so vane, but when you always had hair that people commented on it's so hard to deal with... especially being overweight and that was one of the few compliments you got... Along with the ever famous, you have such a pretty face, comments... That always made me laugh. Translation..you would be so pretty if you weren't so fat! Gotta love it!

I hope it comes back or at least stops and I hope yours does too! :thumbdown:

i was just going to write a post about loosing hair. I am in my third month and just started loosing hair. I brush my hair and a whole bunch just comes out. I have a doctor's appoitment on Wednesday so i am going to ask, but just like you i am eating enough Protein, take vitamines, use the right Shampoo. Maybe i need to start taking Biotin. I have very thin hair to begin with, and if its temporary, i am not afraid but what do i do in the meantime to decrease amount of the loss?

I am a hairdresser. There are many things that contribute to Hair loss. With bandsters, it can be nutritional but also from the surgery. Hormones can cause hair loss, and thyroid issues can also cause it. I lost a bunch of hair years ago about three months after stopping birth control.

Emotional stuff can also cause it. If you are totally freaked out about losing hair, it will actually increase the hair loss.

I once had a client who was a runner. She was never overweight, but she was totally addicted to running. She was running so much that she stopped having periods. The last time I saw her, she was losing tons of hair. I know this is an extreme example, but it shows that many things can cause it.

Here are a few things to think about. It is totally normal to lose 100 hairs a day. Everyone loses about that many. If you don't brush it or wash it for a couple days, then there will be 200 hairs in your brush. This is a lot of hair expecially if the hair is long. I have this discussion often in my salon because most people who think they are losing hair actually are not. If you have let your hair get longer since banding, it will really look like a lot more hair. By the way, letting it get longer does not make up for thinning. It is better if it is collar length or shorter until the hair grows back because the longer it is the stringier it is. A little shorter hair looks thicker whether it is actually thicker or not. Of course you have to stay within your comfort level but this can have quite a few various options.

I do not work for the Nioxin Corporation, I only sell the stuff in my salon, and resell it to enough people to know it works. It is Shampoo and Conditioner. No drugs in them. They also sell other items but the way it works is it cleans the skin and it let's it breathe. We get our pours clogged up with the various polymers in hair products, and the Nioxin thoroughly cleans them out. It smells wonderful, and it works.

In summing up my post, please first of all, determine if you are actually losing hair, second, do what ever you need to do, to quit worrying about it. Meditation helps tons with this. Get a trim or maybe a haircut, then while you are there getting a trim, buy some Nioxin. About 40 bucks in product will have your hair loss stopped in 30 days.... Hope this helps someone out there... Hugs!!

I had my surgery 3/4/09 and my hair finally stopped falling out around 8 months. It started at 2 months and every time I washed my hair I would have to clean the drain because of the amount of hair I lost. I was scared because it was getting thinner and thinner. It did slow down around 8 months and by 9 months I only noticed a few hairs falling out when I washed it. I have noticed the last few months that my hair grows faster now then it ever did. It is also getting thicker. It will stop, but I feel your pain!

JoJo, thank you so much for your post. I have been using Nioxing Shampoo and conditioner since i got the surgery and i love it. Its a little on the expensive side but it lasts for a long time and its worth every penny.

I did NOT know that we loose so much hair on regular basis. That explains a lot i guess. I have been growing my hair out which can explain why i am seeing more. I will stop stressing and just do whatever i have to do.

thanks for the great explanation!

This is actually the best my hair has every been - I am three months out and i had my hair colored a few weeks ago and my hairdresser was amazed at the condition of my hair -- i am very easy on it i only round brush my bangs the rest air dries, i was daily with a moisture Shampoo and conditioner.

I am not posting this to throw my lack of Hair loss in anyones face, only to show other readers than not everyone is losing hair.

Of course this is not to say in 2 months i might start losing it.. but right now all is good..

I hope all of you with problems get regrowth soon.

Ok so it's eight months since my surgery and my hair is still falling out... I get enough Protein, I take Biotin, Vitamin b, multi Vitamin, use nioxin Shampoo and it is still not getting better. It is now to the point of others can notice... You can tell when people are looking at the top of your head and not your eyes when they talk to you!

I have only lost 60 pounds so it's not like I have lost massive amounts of weight as would be the problem with gastric bypass...so they say.

Anybody else experience Hair loss for this amount of time... I was hoping it would turn aroung at six months like I have seen others post...

Any feed back would be helpful... I think it's time to go see the doc to figure out what is wrong with me... I would rather be fat with hair then thin and bald! :smile:

I am 8 months out too, and I am still losing a significant amount of hair. It is becoming noticeable to others. Like you, I get enough Protein, take the Biotin and multi-Vitamins too. I have been using Nioxin for about 4 months, the only thing it does is make my hair frizzy, no real improvement. I hadn't really been stressing about it either (since I know that's not helping any) but I am becoming concerned. It seems to have slowed a tiny bit, but it's still coming out and no new growth is coming in yet.

I hope things change for the better soon! Please keep us posted. :smile:

I started loosing significant hair 4 months after my surgery. I went to see my primary care physician and she did Protein and B12 test. They were significantly below threshold. She suggested i take b12 shots every week for six weeks and 1000mcg b12 tablets. I noticed difference after 2 shots. In fact i started seeing new Hair growth in few months.

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but i thought it would be nice to share with all you guys.

When you say you're getting enough Protein, what do you mean by "enough?"

well I was over 2 years ago,and guess what!? Im still losing hair!!!!! im almost bald in fact one morning i lifed up my hair on the right side and i had a bald spot! i have been to the dermatologist she have me steriod injections into the bald spot, prescribed a foam to put on it & told me to buy womens rogaine,but no one can tell me what has caused this, i have barely any hair left and the bald spot is getting bigger instead of smaller .

I am soooooo upset by this.I can not wear my hair up at all & i wonder if i am going to go totally bald.

and yes I have been going through this for almost 2 years!!!