Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They couldnt fill???

Thankyou everyone, is makes me feel much better that Im not the only one who had this problem. I was starting to think that I wasnt ever gonna get a fill and that the band wasnt right for me.

Crzytcher: do you have a standard band or large? The PA told me that if I had a large then Id get 4cc but I have the standard so I only get 2cc.

Can eveyone feel there port? I havent had a fill yet . I am so scared after reading everyones post. I just got the LAP-BAND®® Feb 2 . Should I feel hungry now. Will the hunger go away after the first fill?

I can feel my port. Don't be afraid, it is very scary at first because of all the unknowns. I just got a fill on Friday and it was very easy. I didn't feel hungry for about 5 weeks after my surgery. I think the drs pretty much know when you need your first fill, etc. If you have any problems don't hesitate to call your surgeon. I'm lucky because I am able to email my surgeron at any time with questions and he gets back within a hours time. Good luck

Thankyou everyone, is makes me feel much better that Im not the only one who had this problem. I was starting to think that I wasnt ever gonna get a fill and that the band wasnt right for me.

Crzytcher: do you have a standard band or large? The PA told me that if I had a large then Id get 4cc but I have the standard so I only get 2cc.

I have the large band, so I have a lot of room left with it.

I'm so glad I found this thread. The exact same thing happened to me - on the same day no less! Went in for the first fill - three monster needles and lots of rooting around in there, and no luck. He found the port just fine, but couldn't get to the center. He said the angle might be off,and he didn't want to torture me anymore. Honestly it didn't hurt much at all... he doesn't numb,says the worst part is the needle piercing the skin, which I found to be true. He offered to go to x-ray, but since his office is in a hospital and I'm self-pay, I would owe the hospital $500 + just for the xray. I'm going back next Friday to try again. I just hope my port isn't "flipped". I can't afford another surgery!

Good luck on Tuesday - I'll be checking in to see how it goes!

Well I went this morning and they were finally able to fill me, he said it was cause the band was so deep. I think that is a nice way of saying too much fat!!! I had to do a sit up and leg lifts at the same time, that was the worst part. I was given 2cc. I dont feel any different, will I notice something when I start eating solids again.

Awesome! I hope I have as much luck on Friday!

So how did your fill go??? I hope your feeling good and feeling some restriction!! Im not really feeling anything but it is my 1st fill so that could be why.

Awesome! I hope I have as much luck on Friday!

The PA is the one who tried it so Im really hoping my surgeon can get it with out any problems. Im supposed to be gettin a fill of 2c, is that normal?

Don't worry about what "normal" is? Everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. At the center for bariatric surgery that I go to, they don't even want to tell you how much they put in because they don't want people getting on sites like this one and having people tell them they got too much or not enough, etc. They make you sit up after the needle is in and drink Water while they are filling and you tell them when it won't do down anymore and then they remove a little and you drink again to make sure it goes down all right. (But at my first fill, I got about 2 cc's.)

Thanks for asking! I ended up having it done under flouro (which sucks b/c I'm self-pay). Turns out my port is a bit "twisted" and he had to go in at a weird angle. Once he could see it on the x-ray, it was a breeze. He gave me a decent amount - 8ccs - I have the large band. I am feeling some restriction for sure, but not too tight. It's perfect I think for me for now. I don't want to be too tight and have to rely on shakes.

We'll see how long it lasts! :frown: From what I've read, most ppl need at least a few fills to get to that mythical "sweet spot".

At the center for bariatric surgery that I go to, they don't even want to tell you how much they put in because they don't want people getting on sites like this one and having people tell them they got too much or not enough, etc. (But at my first fill, I got about 2 cc's.)

My surgeon is the same - at my first fill attempt he wouldn't tell me even what size band I had - he said people worry about how much compared to others, etc. I was fine with that. This time (my first successful fill) I could see the needle and was surprised to see that it was 8 ccs. He kept adding in 2 cc increments until I was completely closed, then backed some out. It was really cool to see it on x-ray! After he was satisfied, he pulled all of it out to see how much was really in there. That's when I saw the 8 ccs. So I said to him "I assume I have the large band, then?" Yup. LOL.

Whether its fill amounts, or the rate we lose, etc., our bodies all react differently. The bottom line is that everyone is different and while its tempting, it's a waste of time and energy to compare. I'm just happy to be on the downward slide! :frown: