Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you do, if this happened to you?

Okay, so I had my lapband surgery on October 27th, 2009. Recovery was fairly easy. Went to all of my post surgery appointments when they were scheduled....EXCEPT my first fill. I dont recall what date it was scheduled, but I believe it was in December. Anyway, on December 14th I received a phone call from my Dad telling me that my Mom wasnt going to be receiving chemotherapy any longer. That her Oncologist had told her to "go home, get comfortable and spend her remaining time at home with family and friends." I packed up my kids and moved back home temporarily. During that week, I had called my surgeon's office to reschedule my fill. I felt that spending time with my dying mother was MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than driving three hours to have a fill done. So I called the surgeons office and spoke with the receptionist. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: Hi, I was wondering if I could reschedule my fill. I wont be able to make it to the appointment.

Her: When was it scheduled?

Me: (whatever date it was....I dont recall)

Her: You know, it is like a TWO MONTH WAIT to get a fill. THE SOONEST WE CAN GET YOU IN IS IN FEBRUARY, 2010. (And she said it with attitude) Are you SURE you want to cancel?

Me: Yes, I am sure. My mother is dying and I want to spend as much time with her before she passes.

Her: WELL, MANY people call and cancel for no reason. Are you sure you want to cancel? Are you sure you cant make it in?

Me: YES!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SURE. I CANT HELP when my mom dies...give me a break. (Starting to get angry..._)

Her: Okay, well we cant get you in any sooner than February 11th. I guess I could give you a call if there is anything sooner.....is THAT okay?

Me: That is fine. Thank you.

Her: Bye.

OOOOH, she pissed me off. My Mom was dying and she couldnt get passed me having to reschedule. Who cares what the reason is???!! As long as I call in the required amount of time BEFORE the appointment, I shouldnt be asked my reason for having to change it.

Okay, my question is this, knowing what she said, should I mention something to the surgeon about her rudeness? Part of me wants to find another place to get my fills done, solely because of the way this woman treated me. What would YOU do?

Hey there, I am sorry about your Mom. That is a terrible thing to go through. I just wanted to give you another take on that phone call. It sounded more like she was worried about you not getting your fill asap. I know that at my doc's office most if not all the people who work there have had lapband and are so on top of trying to help patients make sure they get their fills. I know you were upset and maybe you misunderstood her intentions. Just a thought.

Jen,

I am so sorry to hear about your Mother...

I think the broad needs to take a class that will teach her how to listen.... If she had listened, she would have realized that you had a much more serious issue at hand than the fill at the moment...

I know that Dr's office's get hectic and can be over booked, but a lot of the staff have very poor "bedside" manners when dealing with patients... Even if she was "concerned" about you getting your fill, she should have showed some compassion for your situation...

Okay, my question is this, knowing what she said, should I mention something to the surgeon about her rudeness? Part of me wants to find another place to get my fills done, solely because of the way this woman treated me. What would YOU do?

Hmmm...

Well, you may have been a little sensitive

at the moment (understandably) and read attitude

where there was none.

However, after mentioning that your mother was dying,

attitude or no, she should have complied

and moved on instead of harassing you further

like you were some dumb ape.

I hate when people repeat themselves

over and over like I'm stupid.

I GOT it...there's a waiting list.

I would have addressed it

during the phone call...but that's me.

You should talk to the doctor about it.

Calmly tell him what happened,

trying not to interject what you think

the receptionist was feeling or thinking...

because you don't know that.

Tell him how it made you feel,

because that's the point.

Not HER attitude, but YOUR feelings on the matter.

He's educated, he'll get it.

He needs to know it made you so upset that you wanted to change doctors.

Give him a chance to make it right.

If he blows you off, then that whole office might have issues and you may want to find another doc.

But don't be afraid to stand up for yourself on this.

Good luck.

:angry:

I'm so sorry about your mother.

:)

Just putting my 2 cents in. You may want to find a new doctor just because of how long it takes to get an appt. I have had to bump up a fill and only had to wait 2 weeks.

I would definitely address it with the surgeon. The office manager at my surgeon's office was complained about so much that she finally fired her. My surgeon is a woman who believes in good staff and treats them and her clients like family. She hated to do it but she had to. This lady was just not in the right profession but it took all of us to complain for the surgeon to see what was happening. Otherwise, she would have just been oblivious. Regardless of what is happening in your life but particularly since you were gracious enough to tell her what was happening she should have shown more empathy and compassion.

So sorry about your mom, I hope you treasured your last days with her. I would not say anything unless you have a new doc lined up. If the doctor says something her attitude could get even more nasty.

That being said I agree that you should look for someone new, and when you do get a fill make sure that if you ever need an emergency unfill that you won't be waiting a long time!

If your Dr. makes you wait 2 months for a reschedule then it appears to me he is not that interested in patient care. My doc will figure a way to get you back in several days later. If that is hwo he schedules things it makes it ough to be successful. Good luck,

Greg

I can call in the morning and be in by 10am to my Dr. I know he is busy. but I have never ever had a problem getting in unless he is not in the office, then it is the next day. Or I will see his partner. Not a problem. These Guys are the best. and the staff are Sweet.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. :thumbup:

Personally, I would find another doc if possible. A two month wait for an appointment is ridiculous. I could set my fill for sometime in the next week if needed, although they prefer a 2 week notice if possible.