Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So scared to get rid of fat clothes!

I can finally fit into a womens 14 i ordered some new jeans and they came in the mail no problem they zipped right up. Well my husband said to me that i needed to pack up all the clothes in my closest because nothing fits. I started at a size 22 and now a size 14. I just can't bring my self to do it anyone else having this problem. I just keep thinking some time in the future just like every other time i lost weight that i will gain it back and need those clothes. And a few of the posts read that they have gain some weight scares me even more. Anyone have any ideas to help me let go of the past and move on?

Edited by reneek

I've lost 70 pounds and I'm in a size 16 (was a size 22/24 at Lane Bryant before). I can't seem to get rid of my fat clothes either! I have them all packed in a flat tub underneath my bed, but I can't bring myself to give them away either! I, like you, am scared I will gain the weight back like all the other times. My boyfriend (who was banded in June '09 and has lost 121lbs) says I need to throw the clothes out so I won't LET myself get fat again. But the scale hasn't moved in 4 months (which I must admit, I haven't been trying much to help it move, I HAVE to get back on the bandwagon!). But with the scale not moving, I can't get rid of the clothes!!!!! I'd love to hear anyone's insight as well.

got to let go - you won't need them anymore, i'm sure you'll keep losing more and more....if not you'll maintain yourself in that same weight. pack up your clothes, somebody might need it more than you.....come on you can do it!!! goodluck.:thumbup:

Get rid of them ASAP!!! why keep them.. you have started a new way of life and a new you. Are you planning to fail? NO, then get rid of them... don't let yourself think I am gonna fail-- YOU ARE GOING TO SUCCEED!

I pack mine up as soon as that size is too big and off they go.... never been so happy to get rid of clothes - even new ones that I have only owned for a month or 2.

I have kept a couple of shirts and jeans for when we try to get pregnant... but that's it... the rest is gone-- yoiu should have seen the poor guys face when I had 14 BIG bags of clothes and shoes... he was like-- wow lady, are you getting a divorce and getting rid of your mans stuff... I said no, but I am getting rid of about 70 lbs of a person!

Get rid of it. Think of it like old baggage. And think of it like stored fat. Your allowing yourself the possibility of gaining weight by keeping it around. Give it to Goodwill, a consignment store, a clothing drive, but just get rid of it.

It's hard to give away clothes that you didn't wear that much, but seriously, if you have the choice to wear a 16 or a 10, which would you pick?

Don't make it easy to gain weight. You are changing your life for the better, allow yourself to complete the process and get rid of the things that remind you of your "fat days".

It also allows you to make room for some cool new things!

yeah, maybe, this is a subtle hint he will take you shopping for all your size 14 and less clothes? you could always say-"darling, I shan't pack them away, they are off to charity and we are off clothes shopping!" See what his reaction is then?? hee hee.. he might actually, you know.. go shopping with you..

I say get rid of them asap. I keep 1 shirt, mans size xxxl and 1 pair of jeans size 46 to remind me of where I was when I started this journey. I am currently size 38 jeans and xl shirt and look forward to buyin my first pair of 34's and a Lg. shirt for the first time in 20+yrs. I can do it, and so can you!:unsure:

Sorry I have to disagree with everyone. It is ok to hold on to them. Just box them up. And put them away somewhere. and next year when you see that box again you can pull them out and have a good laugh about what you wore...OR if your feeling down you can pull something out try it on and remember that you have lost weight. You body is getting smaller. It is OK to hold on to things. Just not neccessary to kep it all in your closet.

Girls come on ,take the next big step and refuse to go back. I haven't lost all the weight I want yet but I am eliminateing as I go it feels great ! I find no comfort in my biggest clothes.

You could always keep part of them - since you are in a 14, keep the 16's. Keep one size bigger than what you wear, and donate the rest to someone who needs them now.

I agree get rid of them.this past weekend i went threw my closet, held some things up 2 me that wrapped around to my back i was amazed and said thank you jesus, i actually saw it for myself and couldn't believe i looked like that!

I agree get rid of them.this past weekend i went threw my closet, held some things up 2 me that wrapped around to my back i was amazed and said thank you jesus, i actually saw it for myself and couldn't believe i looked like that!

Yeah but some of us like that feeling. Especialy when we feel were still HUGE. Pulling out those old BIG clothes is nice to see how far we have come.

NOT EVERYONE is the same. I like having the reminders of how far I have come.

So just because one person throws stuff away dosent mean everyone should.

That has always been my pattern in the past. I hang on to my clothes 'just in case'. Well, this time I promised myself I was moving on and not looking back. I get rid of my clothes as I move out of them. The only thing I do is keep the next size up. For instance, I am in a size 14 and I am still wearing my 16's. When I get to a 12 I will keep my 14's and get rid of the 16's.

I have been practicing visualization. I see myself as a normal healthy weight. I have never been able to do that before. I thought about wanting to be thin but could never actually 'see' it, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Get rid of them right now! Never plan then plan to fail.

I wish I had gotten rid of all my old fat clothes as soon as I were out of them. Since I'm on my way back down again I didn't hesitate, so now if I gain weight I'll have to go around town naked! LOL :unsure:

I think my biggest reminder is the fact I take pictures of myself all the time. I have pics of when I was at my largest. That right there is the only reminder I need to never get like that again!

Edited by LilMissDiva

I'm keeping a dress, pants & one pair of panties (just for grins coz they are so ugly and big) as my "fat clothes". They remind me of how far I've come, and I do try them on now and then and watch them fall off and it makes me happy.

Other than that, I'm keeping whatever is my current size and a few things that are still wearable and comfortable in one size up (say, for having a procedure and need to wear something loose and non-binding).

Everything else gets packed up and taken to the Salvation Army. I was thrilled to be able to donate 3 big-girl coats this year, knowing that large sizes can be hard to find and are in demand.

Since my idea of actually fitting is looser than Stacy & Clinton would like, I know that if *I* think it's too big, it really is :)