Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perspectives after one year.

Another thing that is very deceptive, is how the band surgery complications statistics are constantly being referenced from "surgery complications". Well, I agree most band complications happen later, when they don't have to count them anymore as complications from the surgery.

Pretty convenient way to count.

Heck my band, doesn't even count as a failure. Everytime you filled it, it leaked out after 3 weeks, but it was long after the surgery...an entire year....so that doesn't count as a complication from band surgery. OH PLEASE....the statistics are manipulated to whatever suits them, and if you can't figure it out, you just plain ignorant.

Another thing that is very deceptive, is how the band surgery complications statistics are constantly being referenced from "surgery complications". Well, I agree most band complications happen later, when they don't have to count them anymore as complications from the surgery.

Pretty convenient way to count.

Heck my band, doesn't even count as a failure. Everytime you filled it, it leaked out after 3 weeks, but it was long after the surgery...an entire year....so that doesn't count as a complication from band surgery. OH PLEASE....the statistics are manipulated to whatever suits them, and if you can't figure it out, you just plain ignorant.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought your band leaked from the beginning, not after one yr. So, maybe all those fills by an incompetent Dr. did have something to do with it. Why in the world would anyone need 13 fills the first yr if their band was not leaking is what I would wonder? I could not have tolerated it. One would lose all their weight from the swelling in those days following the fill!

I have never read all the statistics of the sleeve because I have no interest in having most of my stomach removed. The one thing I do like about the band is that the Fluid can be removed and the appetite return. I worry about getting cancer or some disease that decreases the appetite and then need to have more appetite. This is a big plus to me and eases my mind a lot.

Well you may be right, but I don't know how you are coming to your conclusions? Do you know "most people", so that you can really even form an opinion about "most people". I don't think so, I think you are totally guessing, which isn't really all that valuable or accurate.

In fact, I had a lot of fills, and it may lead you to believe I was overfilled, when in reality, it turns out I had a slow leak. When they defilled me, they figured it out.

Now back to the subject of this post. Since I'm paying out of pocket, do you really think I want to pay for another surgery to fix a leak....when I could just pay for a sleeve and be done with the cost forever? I THINK NOT.

Simply put, the band is much, much more expensive in the long run and sometimes the short run. It is not a good idea for people who are self pay. All of the risk, is shifted to when it costs the patient to fix, instead of all the risk being up front and covered by the surgeon.

I just wanted to say wow! Congrats on your loss... you are only 11 lbs from goal? Great job! :thumbup:

I'm 10lbs less then I ever was with the band....zero problems, and it was cheaper.

SELF PAYERS should consider the sleeve FIRST, and then only consider options if the sleeve won't work for them.

The band procedure, aftercare, and eventual repair costs are not a good deal for a selfpay person. The othe quality of life issues are a no brainer........GET A SLEEVE, before the band creates so much scar tissue or other problem, that you can't revise safely.

Jaffa, I am sorry the band did not work the way you wanted it to and I'm sorry you had a leak, but please don't be so bitter to those of us who have the band and are not having complications.

Jaffa, I am sorry the band did not work the way you wanted it to and I'm sorry you had a leak, but please don't be so bitter to those of us who have the band and are not having complications.

:laugh: I would add that this is a board that people come to for support with their lapband. If there is not a sleeve board, you should start one. Tell your story in the complications forum here for reference and move on.

My original post was from JANUARY. I hadn't posted since. My original post and beliefs were posted from before I had to have revision surgery. I hadn't posted how right I was until someome else, intentionally, dredged up an old post.

Your kidding right?

You people need to get a clue. If you want a war, if you want to see bitter, if you want me posting, go ahead and make it a mission for me.......

My opinion is just as valid if not more then yours. Especially, if you weren't even self-pay. Go back and read the title of my post.

The way the people on this board try to silence any negative posts about the band is extremely suspect to me. I think, this board is full of trolls.

I think this is an appropriate place to post any complications and opinions about weight loss procedures and I was glad to hear Jaffa's story. I am a self pay bander and very happy with that choice. Unless you can see in the crystal ball and know you will have complications I don't agree that unilaterally the band is a poor choice for self payers...but that's just my opinion and Jaffa is certainly entitled to his/hers and to express it here. I think the tag line with DONT GET THE BAND over and over is excessive but hey, it not mine!

Everyone's opinions on here are valuable!

I was self pay, I have had very good results with the band with no adjustments in over a year. I am at goal and have had no problems of any kind. What I get from his ramblings is that he thinks problems usually start around 18 mos out due to some conspiracy of the company or Dr's. I have no desire for a war with anyone because I have a life and rarely even have time to come here, but I have seen these posts from this person in the past all with the same bitter venom. Hopefully new members, especially those considering surgery of any kind, see through the venom and negativity due to his individual sour situation, and use the info in a positive way. Other than that, I'm a happy person who loves the band and loves my life!

Edited by jms462001

Actually, I changed my signature just because of this thread.

I wish I could just tell people sunshine and lollipops, but it isn't true.

And yes, there is a conspiracy with not only the way they track the lapband, but also how what and how they report the problems. They make it look like it is rare to have problems.....when rare, really isn't the case.

Its like having a brand new car. If I track the maintenance and repairs on the car for only a relatively short time period, it majically looks much cheaper to own.

I can honestly say that even as a self-pay and not independently wealthy (in fact single and living in a 1 income household).....the financial aspect was not part of my decision making process. In my opinion this is way too important for money to be a factor AT ALL. I am not sure what price tag anyone would put on their own individual health but the potential dollar figure differences between say a band with multiple self pay fills and a sleeve is incredibly minimal in the big picture of what I want and deserve. This is not about money.

I can honestly say that even as a self-pay and not independently wealthy (in fact single and living in a 1 income household).....the financial aspect was not part of my decision making process. In my opinion this is way too important for money to be a factor AT ALL. I am not sure what price tag anyone would put on their own individual health but the potential dollar figure differences between say a band with multiple self pay fills and a sleeve is incredibly minimal in the big picture of what I want and deserve. This is not about money.

Congratulations and best wishes to you!! I agree it's not about money and I was self pay also and in a 1 income household. It's been nearly 6 more months since the posts I made above, over 2 yrs since my surgery, and I still have not had any problems with my band and stand by my decision!

I was self-pay and had 1 year "free" fills. I don't regret my decision to have the band. I did my research and I don't want to lose any more organs than I already have... I want to have children someday so I want to be able to know that I can unfill my band to make sure my child will receive adequate nutrition. I want to be able to reach a point when I no longer have to rely on my band and can control myself so that I can have all of my Fluid removed. For me the band was the obvious choice. I am aware of the complications that can/may arise. I am prepared if the worse does happen.

I honestly believe that everyone should do their research when trying to decide which bariatric surgery is the best one for them. Every surgery has their possible complications and you need to be able to decide if you can handle the complications if/when they arise. Those who had the surgery without doing the research are fools. Read about people's complications/successes. Be prepared and don't get caught with your pants down.

Some of us are selfpay and our bmi is too low for any other weight loss surgery. I am a 33 bmi and after weighing everything I will do the Lapband. What I have decided is to pay the 9900.00 and not the extra 1000.00 for unlimited fills my first year. I will pay per fill. This information has been helpful.