Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I am so nervous about the operation and I really don't know why. I've had 2 C-sections and people tell me this will be a piece of cake! I've been on my pre-op diet and my surgery is January 28, 2010. I've heard after surgery you experience severe pain (gas), and soreness...is it really bad?? :biggrin:

I had gas but no gas pains. It was sore for about 2 weeks where my port is but once I figured out that was what it was and didn't worry about it, it wasn't so bad. I did take the pain meds they gave me (don't leave the hosp without them) but all in all, it wasn't so bad.

I hope you are getting EXCITED about your surgery now as it gets closer! I was opposite from you and wasn't nervous at all. I wouldn't even let my husband stay in the hospital with me. I was unprepared for the after math of the surgery. I had bad gas pains but basically I just stayed in bed for a couple days and was good to go. Those couple of days are worth the benefits of the band. Plus, I had NO pain meds whatsoever and I survived with four kids waiting for me at home! Congrats on the next big step in getting healthy!

Edited by kbandito09
add info

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom, both of you! I just joined this forum as I have no one to talk to during the whole process, this is great, I am glad I found it! :biggrin: Can I ask another question? I've created my "diet ticker" now how do I get it on here? :ohmy:

Edited by Shari = )

Don't listen to everybody else, everyone is different. I had people telling me it was worse than childbirth. Not having experienced it yet, if that's "worse than childbirth" I'm popping out as many babies as I can lol..

But seriously the gas pain is usually bad for those who don't do as they're told walk, walk and walk some more. Lil' shoulder pain is normal as this seems to be where the gas settles. The burping to me is the worst part of the whole process.

You should feel like you had a serious ab workout, and then just the bloated, burpy gas feelings. Severe pain, or even moderate pain wouldn't come to mind.

You know how dr's always ask you "On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is your pain???" I would say 1 to 1.5, at the very absolute worse between pain meds on day 1 and just waking up, I would say a 3.

But again, everyone is different. I know my recovery seemed to be very rapid and painless compared to those who had surgery the same day as me. By day 3 I was off pain meds completely and back to normal for the most part. Day 4 I worked, I got tired easier and walking too far for too long was a lil' too much (thank goodness for those electric shopping carts) but other than that that's about the worst of it.

Some tips:

Surgery day-Day 1: Stay as upright as possible and get up and walk every hour. Even if it's just up and down your hallway. Ideally 200 steps per hour, but as many as you can do. I would suggest sleeping in a recliner and again staying as upright as possible to allow the gas to disburse. Gas-x strips are your friend, however be careful not to take to much as they, much like cold medicine, suppress and not cure what's wrong with you.

Fill your lortab prescription before surgery and have it ready to go. I didnt' get nauseated or use any of the nausea medication. I just used the 3 day patch they put behind my ear in surgery. I had no nausea at all. Foodwise you probably won't feel like much. But be sure to get some ice chips, sip Water or have a sf popsicle or two. This will help with the internal swelling as well as keep you hydrated.

Day 2: Pain meds, gas-x, stay up right and walk. You should get some broth, Jello or something in you today. Remember to take in Water as well... Chances are you won't need the lortab by the end of today, so be sure to have some liquid tylenol on hand.

Day 3: You're probably going to wake up hungry, again follow your dr's diet, get your Clear liquids in you and if you can stomach it an Isopure drink or something like that to get your Protein up. (I personally moved to mushies on day 3, but follow YOUR doctor's advice for YOU.) Repeat yesterday's diet of broth, Jello, etc.. whatever your dr has instructed. You'll more than likely be able to get around easier, still be a bit burpy but use the gas-x as needed. Again stay as upright as possible and walk walk walk...

I spent my first 3 days/nights in a recliner, not a bed. I did not lay down until the night of day 4. The pain medicine after the first day or so is mostly for the shoulder discomfort you'll have from the gas settling... as gross as it is, let it out.. too many gas-x strips as I said will suppress it and it needs to get out.

The first 3 days is the worst of it...of course you'll read some horror stories on here but don't let that scare you. As I said everyone is different. Even thought we're all taking the same trip, our journeys are quiet different.

This is THE BEST thing I have EVER done for myself. I'm 1 month post-op (had surgery 12/18/09) I've lost 22.8lbs and 7 inches in my waist since surgery and I couldn't be happier....If you include my pre-op weight loss I'm down just over 50lbs in 7 weeks and am 90lbs away from my dr's goal for me. I can't wait for you and everyone else to experience this and know how good it feels. Please don't let some anxiety or someone else's negative experience Detour you from doing something so great for yourself.

Just remember for every bad story you hear/read, there's 100+ great ones...

You really have put my anxieties to rest! Thank you so much for your helpful information on what to be aware of on post-op. You have given me inspiration to conquer my fears and take this head on! Your tips were awesome, walking, stay sitting up and gas-x. I know it will be so worth it next year at this time! Good luck to you on reaching your goal.:biggrin:

I had the surgery 1-07-10. Within an hour, I was up walking around and was off pain medication within 3 days.

I've had two kids and let me tell you, the pain from this surgery was non-existent compared to childbirth. At least, that was my experience.

I had gas pain that was in my chest for about 1-1/2 weeks after the surgery, it hurt to bend over to tie my shoes for about a week, the port site is still sore (I'm about 2 weeks out now), and I was tired for less than a week.

It's surgery, so you should take it easy for a few days after, but I know people who have gone to work within 2-3 days.

I wasn't nervous at all--I've had several surgeries and this is the only one I wanted to do! lol

Good luck and try to think of the positive--it's natural to be nervous, but you'll be so happy when it's done!

Hi Shari!

I had gas pains in my shoulder from the gas they put in the abdomen to pump up the area to see what they are doing. I'd hardly call it severe. Walking really helps. DO listen to that one piece of advice if nothing else. Also, keep pain meds on board. Do not let your pain level go over 3 on the 1-10 scale.

My worst time was the first night. I got out of the hospital around 5pm the evening of my surgery. I went to bed and woke in the middle of the night. I could not sit up or roll over.

I had to wake my hubby to get me some meds and help me to sit up. After that, all was well. I used all my pain meds because I hate pain and the doc said I could :ohmy:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Never having had childern, I can't make a comparison for you, but I don't think this would rate very high on that scale! :biggrin:

Don't listen to everybody else, everyone is different. I had people telling me it was worse than childbirth. Not having experienced it yet, if that's "worse than childbirth" I'm popping out as many babies as I can lol..

But seriously the gas pain is usually bad for those who don't do as they're told walk, walk and walk some more. Lil' shoulder pain is normal as this seems to be where the gas settles. The burping to me is the worst part of the whole process.

You should feel like you had a serious ab workout, and then just the bloated, burpy gas feelings. Severe pain, or even moderate pain wouldn't come to mind.

You know how dr's always ask you "On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is your pain???" I would say 1 to 1.5, at the very absolute worse between pain meds on day 1 and just waking up, I would say a 3.

But again, everyone is different. I know my recovery seemed to be very rapid and painless compared to those who had surgery the same day as me. By day 3 I was off pain meds completely and back to normal for the most part. Day 4 I worked, I got tired easier and walking too far for too long was a lil' too much (thank goodness for those electric shopping carts) but other than that that's about the worst of it.

Some tips:

Surgery day-Day 1: Stay as upright as possible and get up and walk every hour. Even if it's just up and down your hallway. Ideally 200 steps per hour, but as many as you can do. I would suggest sleeping in a recliner and again staying as upright as possible to allow the gas to disburse. Gas-x strips are your friend, however be careful not to take to much as they, much like cold medicine, suppress and not cure what's wrong with you.

Fill your lortab prescription before surgery and have it ready to go. I didnt' get nauseated or use any of the nausea medication. I just used the 3 day patch they put behind my ear in surgery. I had no nausea at all. Foodwise you probably won't feel like much. But be sure to get some ice chips, sip Water or have a sf popsicle or two. This will help with the internal swelling as well as keep you hydrated.

Day 2: Pain meds, gas-x, stay up right and walk. You should get some broth, Jello or something in you today. Remember to take in Water as well... Chances are you won't need the lortab by the end of today, so be sure to have some liquid tylenol on hand.

Day 3: You're probably going to wake up hungry, again follow your dr's diet, get your Clear Liquids in you and if you can stomach it an Isopure drink or something like that to get your Protein up. (I personally moved to mushies on day 3, but follow YOUR doctor's advice for YOU.) Repeat yesterday's diet of broth, Jello, etc.. whatever your dr has instructed. You'll more than likely be able to get around easier, still be a bit burpy but use the gas-x as needed. Again stay as upright as possible and walk walk walk...

I spent my first 3 days/nights in a recliner, not a bed. I did not lay down until the night of day 4. The pain medicine after the first day or so is mostly for the shoulder discomfort you'll have from the gas settling... as gross as it is, let it out.. too many gas-x strips as I said will suppress it and it needs to get out.

The first 3 days is the worst of it...of course you'll read some horror stories on here but don't let that scare you. As I said everyone is different. Even thought we're all taking the same trip, our journeys are quiet different.

This is THE BEST thing I have EVER done for myself. I'm 1 month post-op (had surgery 12/18/09) I've lost 22.8lbs and 7 inches in my waist since surgery and I couldn't be happier....If you include my pre-op weight loss I'm down just over 50lbs in 7 weeks and am 90lbs away from my dr's goal for me. I can't wait for you and everyone else to experience this and know how good it feels. Please don't let some anxiety or someone else's negative experience Detour you from doing something so great for yourself.

Just remember for every bad story you hear/read, there's 100+ great ones...

Thank you so much!!! These tips....the best so far....I know the exp is diff for everyone..however constructive tips.....like these...very concrete to use as guidance has set my mind as ease!!!

My gas pain was excruciating and frustrating, but I survived it. I walked like a fool. Around the apartment, around the complex, in the middle of the night, whenever.

But it is SO different for everyone, as others have pointed out. You might have a lot of pain, but you might not have any.

My gas pain was excruciating and frustrating, but I survived it. I walked like a fool. Around the apartment, around the complex, in the middle of the night, whenever.

But it is SO different for everyone, as others have pointed out. You might have a lot of pain, but you might not have any.

Is it like any other operation?? I remember hearing this after I had surgery when I had a cyst in my ear drum...when I had by daughter and when I had something else that I dont remember,,,,,hmm

Glad I could help!

My surgery was breeze! They said I'd have the "gas" pain in my shoulder...had a little uncomfortable feeling for a few hours one night but that was it! C-section was definately worse by far!!!!!! Lapband was nothing! And my journey since that surgery day has been an amazing one! Have lost 102 pounds in 8 1/2 months and feel great! Off heart meds, high cholesteral meds, high blood pressure meds, diabetes meds, asthma meds and PCOS meds! Joint pain is gone! sleep Apnea has been reduced quite a bit! It has just been an amazing journey so far! Would do it all again in a second!!!!!:) Wish I would've done it years ago!

Honestly, I went into surgery with a positive attitude... I had heard how bad it hurt and then that it was nothing- so I decided... it was going to be an easy recovery for me. As soon as I woke up from surgery-- I was wanting to walk around and use the restroom... the nurse said "are you sure" yep.. lets get to walkin....

I was out of the hospital in no time- and really no pain either. very bloated-- but no pain... I made sure to get up and walk and not be a patient.... start the new me!

I did tire pretty bad by that evening and hit the hay early... I had immediate restriction and really-- have never lost it even though I only have 1 cc in my band at this time(5 months after surgery). By the end of day 3 -- no more pain meds... walking around-- and living by the rules.. -- hardest part for me was actually getting in all the liquids and Proteins that they wanted me to drink.

Oh and not picking up things- like cleaning and laundry!

Day 3- no problems-- went to the movie... sipped on my Protein shot.. still had some gas but nothing gas-x strips didnt handle..

Day 4-- started to get rid of the gas-- and that was a great relief.... ffelt great... started to get weak and dr said I could move ahead to soft foods if I could tolerate.

Honestly - I could have been back at work by day 3. This was not a hard surgery for me to recover from. I really think part of it was my state of mind. I went into surgery looking forward to my new way of life and my future and it being a positive experience. I knew there might be some pain-- but nothing I couldnt deal with. It would soon be over but I needed to concentrate on following my diet and rules.. and thats what I did.

I am honestly so happy I did this... and would do it again tomorrow morning- if I needed to ! I am now post surgery 5 months and 1 week and down 70 lbs!

Best of Luck! You will be fine and so happy you will be telling your story soon!

Congrats!

Hi everyone, I am so nervous about the operation and I really don't know why. I've had 2 C-sections and people tell me this will be a piece of cake! I've been on my pre-op diet and my surgery is January 28, 2010. I've heard after surgery you experience severe pain (gas), and soreness...is it really bad?? :)

Rest assured, lapband surgery is nothing by comparison to your c-sections. I had two c-sections also with the second one being harder to recover from, but this surgery was a piece of cake for me. I experienced some pressure on my chest for about the first week. Not much gas to speak of, some soreness around the port but that was all. My only advice is to start walking right after surgery and do your breathing exercises as instructed.

Don't worry, you will do just fine.

Donna