Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to keep it a secret, but don't know what to tell people when they ask

Hey, I work at a very friendly place. Everyone is great and cares for one another, very close. Well I know that once I start going on my liquid diet and when i want to take off of work I will have many questions. (For one because we were all doing Weight Watchers together and suddenly i'm going straight liquids) and I NEVER take off of work (I teach elementary school). So what do I tell them? Like specifics. Just saying "something medical" won't work, and I feel as if they will wonder what is going on if i don't open up like I usually do.

Help!

Oh yeah, went for my EKG today and am planning on surgery (my first one ever) the monday before thanksgiving.

Just tell them you are taking the extra time for the holiday - and when you are on liquids, it's just another diet. Use a family get together as an excuse for the time off.

:]

Tell them you are having bad reflux and that you are trying liquids on your doctor's advice.

Also....I told folks I was having "female surgery" and "didn't want to get into it" when pressed.

You have a right to keep it a secret. Just work out your story ahead of time and stick to your guns.

Well when you start loosing. And people say you look great! What are you doing. Just say you are eating less!

Thats what I say.

I hate to say it, but because I am embarassed. For some reason I DESPERATLY need everyones approval and I know that most of my coworkers and friends would not approve. :( So i want to keep it a secret...:*(

Just remember is nobodys business but yours. You dont have to tell anyone if you dont want to.

Its your body. Its your life. People are so quick to judge. I wouldnt tell anyone unless they are close family or a good friend. Otherwise at work everyone will ask all the time so how much have you lost??? GRRR

Hang in there.

HUGS

It's funny, but I too work in a very close, friendly office. There is NO ONE in my office as big as me, all young (under 40), cute and skinny. I decided to come clean and told all. Interestingly, I've received nothing but praise, support and even with some who I thought would be the most critical, understood and thought it was good for me to do this for myself.

Hi, I haven't posted much, but I read a lot. I'm a school bus driver, with a close-knit family of co-workers, like you. I had a co-worker who had surgery over last mid-winter break. She didn't tell anyone but her best friend. Rumors started flying, and being a fellow overweight person, I asked her about it. She had gastric bypass. I was so happy to see her progress and great recovery, that it really helped me to make my decision. Unlike my co-worker, I decided to share my decision with the world. I tell anyone and everyone what I've done. At work, I get all the support one could want. Outside of work, I just hope I can be a positive influence in someone else's life, giving them the courage to be banded. Anyway, its your decision, best wishes either way.

Banded 6/20/05

283/243/130ish

I don't know if this will help at all, but I didn't tell anyone either. Not even my parents even though my dad had gastric bypass, i thought they would just try to tell me I didn't need it or something. I told most everyone I was going to visit my sister in Tennessee, and I told my parents I was going to Ocean City with a friend. I know it's lying, but it is your personal business. When and if you want to tell people, you will. If anyone asked about the liquids, I just said I was dieting. I told my parents afterwards, and of course they said I should have told them from the beginning, but I guess it was just a really personal thing for me. My immediate family are still the only ones who know about it. Everyone else just thinks I'm changing my eating habits so I can lose weight, which I am! I just feel like you shouldn't have to tell anyone if you don't want to or don't feel comfortable. It's great that some people are so inspiring and will tell their stories, that's why I even know about banding in the first place! But not everyone is like that, so do what you feel.

I work in a school setting too, Originally I shared my decision with only 3 (out of 150 employees) close friends at work, over time, that group expanded - three others had GBP - and I have received nothing but support.

However, if you are more comfortable keeping the information "personal", it is your right. Since I have students every day, upon my return from surgery, I told curious but well-meaning kids and parents I encountered that they did some "repair work" on my liver (they did a biopsy, so this was a form of the whole story) and that I was fine now, no one ever asked for more info.

Good luck whatever you do!

I hate to say it, but be careful b/c what is going to happen if it "gets out" You maybe more embarrassed that you lied to them then just coming clean. I am not wanting to tell alot of people either, I am maybe able to get away with not telling some people for a while, but I know it will get out so I am not going to lie. I work at the hospital I am having it done at and even if I am a "do not report" it will still get around. They say I could use and alias name, but the nurses you care for me will know it is me-- I know everyone there. I am just not looking forward to living in the fish bowl but I will get over it I guess. I am trying to remember I am doing this for me not them so I dont need their approval.-- Just a thought Good luck and remember you always have lots of support on here. Jill