Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction whatsoever!

I gained about 10-12 pounds between surgery and my 2nd fill. It stands to reason if we go off the pre-op diet and have no restriction we are going to eat as usual. It is often referred to as Bandster Hell. You have lots of time to lose wt, so relax and just do the best you can. Your doc has seen the pattern before many times, I am sure, so don't put off going for your fill just because you gained.

Good luck,

Mimi

My doctor never told me I had no restictions after my op I just assumed that I couldn't eat anything. was on liquid diet for 1 month after surgery I don't know how I did it I didn't even cheat one time! I proved to myself that I do have what it takes

Wow Mimi, Thanks for the input. That is encouraging coming from someone so close to goal. Congrats to you.

:smile2: Amanda

My surgery was November 9th and I will not get my first fill until January 8, 2010. I am really nervous about going. Not because of "fear of fill", but "fear of scales". I know I have gained about 6lbs. I also have only my scars to remind me I even have the band. Even though I have really tried to drink my Water, make good food choices, eat less and exercise I have still gained. Has anyone else gained before their first fill?

Hi Moma,

My surgeon told me to not be surprised if I gained during the post-op/healing phase. He said that he has patients gain weight often.

Think back to all the times you did a crash diet such as the pre-op diet (well, I am making a leap here that you did crash diets in the past.) What happened when you went off them and returned to eating in a more normal fashion? You gained, right?

It happens, try not to stress over it. My weight came off at a snail's pace. 0.5 to 1 lb. per week average. Thus my choice of tracker!

Look at it in the big picture. I know most people say look at short-term goals. But this time look long-term. In 6 months, you will have a few fills and have some restriction and be losing. It's all good! You are eating less and exercising more. These are good habits to be forming. They will serve you well when you have that restriction to really help you have control over food! :smile2:

Best wishes!

Denise

Hi..

I was banded on December 10th..on the post diet I only lost three pounds. When I got home I felt restricted for the first two weeks but now I dont..is this because the swelling has gone down??? In the past two weeks..I have gotten food stuck a couple of times..which isnt pleasant and hurts till it gets unlodged....this happens...in the middle top spot...between the breasts.. My scars are lower than that..so Im a bit confused..Snce my surgery I have only lost 5 additional pounds...and am hoping that the fill set for January 14th will help alot. I KNOW Im getting less but the scales sure isnt showing it...I am going to start exercising as I feel good enough to do so..now that Im healing.. Any help from anyone ..will be appreciated..Thanks

I was self pay and feeling like I wasted alot of money..

POPPYRED

Thank you for posting this thread SwanGal! I have been worried about the same situation for the past couple of days! I am sitting here reading all these posts while my stomach grumbles! LOL I am still on liquids. The most solid thing I have had is chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Panera. I chewed the chicken until it was nothing, because I was scared I was cheating! LOL I was so hungry though. Kept to all liquids today, but I am so hungry! Off to bed with a growling stomach again! Thanks again! I wish everyone success!!! :thumbup:

Had my surgery on Dec. 9th. It will be three weeks tomorrow. If I didn't have the scars to prove it I wouldn't believe I had surgery. I feel amazing. No pain, nothing. ALSO - no restrictions. I am on mushies right now but tried other things during the holiday and chewed the mess out of them.

Nothing is too much. Not once have I stopped eating because I was full. I just stop because I know I shouldn't eat more you know?

Never get that feeling of tightness at all. At my pre-op visit a week out of surgery I told them this and they said my dr. doesn't put anything in yet. So I have to wait till the 21st of January (6 weeks after my surgery) to get a fill.

Is this normal? Surely it can't be. I am not gaining, but not losing either.

Anyone else?? :(

I had my surgery over 3 months before you. I have had 3 fills and I still have NO restriction. I have done well on my own though. I am hoping my next fill brings some much needed restricting!

Stay strong!

I really need some help or reassurance or SOMETHING! I was banded on Dec 16th so it has been 3 weeks now. When I went for my 1 week post op check up, I had lost 19lbs from pre-op diet till then. I was so happy! I am following the diet and how much to eat like 98% of the time (I can eat alot more though). I am exercising as much as I physically can right now (just got a cast off my foot the day before surgery so I still need to take it easy and surgeons orders to stick to only walking no weights yet). I stepped on the scale today and I have GAINED 3 lbs!! I know my calorie intake is between 500-750 a day. I am so disheartened right now! I didn't go through all of this to GAIN weight! People tell me it's my body "adjusting". Is there really such a thing?? Will this get better?? I know I need a fill, but I am not eating alot right now to begin with. I imagine I will consume just about as much food, just won't be starving in between. So does that mean I will keep gaining?? Please someone just give me a glimmer of hope!

Oh man, am I SO glad that someone posted this! I have been MISERABLE thinking that all the hard work that I did before the surgery and to even GET the surgery was all for nothing! I love 24 pounds on the pre-op diet and the week of liquid diet post-op, but, since then, I've gained 12 back and now I've lost 5 again. I had my surgery on Dec. 9th and my first fill wasn't until Jan 28th, but, I called the other day and had them move it up a week. I've been eating a lot less than I have in the past, but, I'm still eating more than I should. I am getting more exercise in too, which is a good thing. I'm just getting really frustrated with everything. I knew that the band wasn't a "miracle" weight loss tool, but, I didn't expect Bandster Hell to be THIS bad either! I'm so discouraged! I hope no one is offended by this, but, I am SO glad I'm not alone. That and my friends don't really understand why I'm still eating some of the same old ways that I have been and that frustrates me too! GRRR. So, come on first fill! Maybe THEN I'll feel at least a little restriction cause right now, I have NONE! NONE as in I ate 2 1/2 slices of pizza tonight! UGH! But, the old me would have had a lot more, I guess that's one way to look at it!

My surgery was November 9th and I will not get my first fill until January 8, 2010. I am really nervous about going. Not because of "fear of fill", but "fear of scales". I know I have gained about 6lbs. I also have only my scars to remind me I even have the band. Even though I have really tried to drink my Water, make good food choices, eat less and exercise I have still gained. Has anyone else gained before their first fill?

I had my surgery Nov. 3rd and my first fill of 3cc at 4 weeks postop. Another fill of 3 cc 2 weeks later and at 8 weeks I was at my sweet spot. Now at 9 weeks postop I'm finally losing.

You'll most likely find that nothing is different after your first fill, depending on how little they put in. I'm fortunate because I have a doctor who lets me set the fill schedule based on my needs...not some silly set of printed guidelines. People do not have to go through bandster hell for endless weeks as if it's some sort of mandatory hazing ritual to be in the 'Lap band club'.

If, after your first fill, you're still hungry and still able to eat in excess, call your doctor and tell them you want another fill. You should be able to get fills every 2 weeks until you have restriction. If they don't care and are only concerned with following their schedule, I'd look for a doctor who actually looks at their patients as individuals. Just my .02.

Is this normal? Surely it can't be. I am not gaining, but not losing either.

Anyone else?? :smile2:

I'm the exact same boat! Not losing, not gaining, constantly hungry just like before. My doctor swears this is totally normal, and who am I to doubt him!? He's done this surgery thousands of times. My first fill is Monday, I'll keep you posted on what happens to the hunger then!

So to agree with everyone, it SUCKS to be hungry!!!! Anyway, I've had one fill and am ready for a second, don't push getting one too early or it won't "work" for long. I think I got mine too early while my stomach was still swollen and healing, I had great restriction for a few days and slowly was able to eat more and more.... which would make sense if your internal swelling is still going down. However, I DID feel restriction and fullness for the first time in my life and LOVED it!!!! Can't wait for my next fill next week!

My surgeon told me to not be surprised if I gained during the post-op/healing phase. He said that he has patients gain weight often.

Think back to all the times you did a crash diet such as the pre-op diet (well, I am making a leap here that you did crash diets in the past.) What happened when you went off them and returned to eating in a more normal fashion? You gained, right?

It happens, try not to stress over it. My weight came off at a snail's pace. 0.5 to 1 lb. per week average. Thus my choice of tracker!

Look at it in the big picture. I know most people say look at short-term goals. But this time look long-term. In 6 months, you will have a few fills and have some restriction and be losing. It's all good! You are eating less and exercising more. These are good habits to be forming. They will serve you well when you have that restriction to really help you have control over food! :smile2:

Cocoabean - Thanks for the info. and a different way to look at this. Your right, my pre-op was like a crash diet. It does make sense thinking of it that way.

I had my surgery Nov. 3rd and my first fill of 3cc at 4 weeks postop. Another fill of 3 cc 2 weeks later and at 8 weeks I was at my sweet spot. Now at 9 weeks postop I'm finally losing.

You'll most likely find that nothing is different after your first fill, depending on how little they put in. I'm fortunate because I have a doctor who lets me set the fill schedule based on my needs...not some silly set of printed guidelines. People do not have to go through bandster hell for endless weeks as if it's some sort of mandatory hazing ritual to be in the 'LAP-BAND®® club'.

If, after your first fill, you're still hungry and still able to eat in excess, call your doctor and tell them you want another fill. You should be able to get fills every 2 weeks until you have restriction. If they don't care and are only concerned with following their schedule, I'd look for a doctor who actually looks at their patients as individuals. Just my .02.

Elfiepoo - Wow - 9 weeks and 3 fills - I am jeolous. I am also having issues with my thyroids. That is another reason I have had to wait for my fills. I have 2 mass on my thyroids and the biospy came back showing a cell that could or could not be cancerous. So I still have more test to do. I think Dr. Duncan will adjust my band according to me, but I honestly am not sure. I will know Friday at 9am, because I will be asking when I can come back for another fill. Thanks for the 411. I will be more aggressive it needed. I am kinda a professional at that:angel_smile:. LOL.

Both of you keep up the great work.:thumbup:

Ok but here's a question for you: My first fill will be Monday ... do all doctors test somehow to see how filled you are? I'm curious - this first fill is four weeks after my surgery.

Ok but here's a question for you: My first fill will be Monday ... do all doctors test somehow to see how filled you are? I'm curious - this first fill is four weeks after my surgery.

They can tell how much they put in just because they know how much they put in. They can't tell whether or not you have 'restriction' because only you can tell them that based on your experiences afterward.

I have a Realize Band which is 12 cc. According to my doc, 'most' people get restriction around 8...but it will vary with the individual.