Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Confident Enough

Twilight, I know I'm making excuses not to go to the gym. No offense taken! Don't worry. I am working out with my Jillian Michaels for my Wii and my Wii fit. And I am going to be starting Zumba soon! It looks like so much fun! I am thinking about switching gyms. But I told myself this morning....get over the issue with the gym, go and sweat your butt off because in the end it will so be worth it!!! And I know it will be worth it!

OK let me tell you my little story. I started out at the local Gym. About a year ot two before thinking about the band. I would go and walk...a couple times a week. Then I would stop and go back in a few months. But After I was banded I was in the gym about 4 or 5 times a week working out HARD Elipitical and weights (which were only guys) and let me just say that I had the respect of all the guys in there. Yes I was still the biggest female in there but all the guys saw how hard I worked out that they were encouraging and very supportive.

I stopped going when I messed up my ankle and this is actualy making me want to get back in there. It is difficult during tax season. Maybe I will find myself a Wii and start working out on one of those. lol my brother has one and even the boxing is a work out. even though it is considered a game lol

Hi Guys. I am new at this. My surgery was the end of Oct. 2009.

I started exercising four weeks later. I have a Wii Fit and that was fine for a while, but it tends to get boring, so I use it for the body test to keep track of my progress.

Three weeks ago I bought the Wii Game "Just Dance" and I love it!

If you enjoy dancing you may want to try it. It has different levels of songs / dance moves from low impact to high.

I work out 20 to 30 minutes first thing in the morning (at home) before getting ready for work.

:confused:

TN_girl21- hey there! Jillian Michaels is killer! Have you tried her 30 day shred? She makes you hate her, lol. So a suggestion I have is trying a DIFFERENT gym? Or investing in an IPOD so you can't hear anyone if they are rude and make a comment?

On a sidenote- not to be harsh, but it almost seems like you are at the point of making excuses why you can't do this or won't do that. If you don't take charge, your results of your band is not going to be what you probably want.

I joined a gym at 362 pounds- mind you at that point I had a workout buddy (safety in numbers!), i never heard anyone make any comments, but if they did oh well...atleast I am trying to better myself!

Goodluck!

I'm with you! I was 347 lbs doing 120 min of cardio at the gym and taking jazzercise. I did it alone. I have a tough exterior, I wouldnt have gotten as far as I have in life without it. Just do your thing and screw everyone else. I'm still heavy, 280lbs, probably heavier than most of you and ppl come to me to ask how to weight lift or for company at the gym. The most important thing is to realize that you have to do what's best for you and not let others take you down. have fun at the gym! :angry:

P.S. How is the WII fit thing? i kinda want that cause it looks like fun.

P.S. How is the WII fit thing? i kinda want that cause it looks like fun.

They are always out of stock. So, they must be great!!

I called Wal-mart last week and it just so happens that the Wal-marts in the DFW area are getting some in tomorrow.

If you buy one, make sure you get the one with the board. It is useless without the board. A few friends have warned me on that.

And anybody else reading this: Be aware that there is a 330 pound weight limit. It will absolutely not work if you weigh more.

WOO HOO I fit that weight limit now! :angry:

That in itself is a NSV!!!!!

I kinda want the Wii fit also...but It is just so much money. I dont even have a Wii. Geesh

Yeah Moxie...I keep lookin at peoples weight when they say how they feel they are huge and they weigh less then I do. lol I know I am big and I know I am losing slow. But I am healthy and I am thrilled with my slow loss and I would be terrified if I dropped super fast. My body needs the adjustment time while it is losing. Or it freaks out and does weird things lol

Hang in there!

Some people will judge you, whether you are at the gym, at work, the store, or wherever. Who cares?

Now that I'm thin and a regular at the gym I talk to some of the other regulars and most of them think it's cool to see a fat person working out. If I hear someone say something I tell them, "Hey, where else do you want to see them, the donut shop?" and they always say that's a good point. Sure, there might be one or two a-holes that think they are being funny, but, you need to realize, people are already doing that to you elsewhere. Don't let it bother you, it's their problem, not yours. In general the gym is as supportive a place as you can be.

If you still feel uncomfortable, definitely do the Wii Fit or EA Active thing for a while. I did that for a few months to get prepared to exercise in public and it gave me a lot of confidence.

Some people comment that fat people should get off their butts and exercise. Well if I do go exercise they can't comment about how unfit I look. Anyway due to a knee issue my main source of exercise is swimming. Here is my super fashionable swimming look: fat lady swimdress; snorkle googles and breathing tube (allows me to swim much faster because I don't have to worry about breathing); Speedo waterproof mp3 player (absolute must for lap swimming). The upside is most of the time I am in the Water so there is not much for anyone to look at. Oh another thing when I swim at night the local high school swim teams are taking up half the pool; so I have both the high schoolers and their parents as an audience.

I don't know these people. Bottom line what do I care what they think?

I did have a woman stop me at a local store recently who wanted to let me know that she has noticed me at the gym and wanted to congratulate me on my weight loss.

I am terrified of going to the gym. I have had so many gym memberships that I have quit using and paid for I could probably have paid for my surgery. The reason I am unwilling to join a gym at this time is because of my fear of failure. I have been so positive through out the process so far and dont want another gym failure to derail me...I will continue to go for my daily walks and have purchased an eliptical for home and I am very happy.....I don't believe you have to be a gym rat to be successful at weight loss, just find what works for you and GO FO IT!

I believe you are right. I know you are right as I am at goal and for the most part have walked for exercise. I now do jazzercise and found out that I really like it, go twice a week, well will start going again tomorrow. I just had plastic surgery and got the ok today to start back exercising. I also have a Wii that I got for Christmas and I need to get the exercise tape for it. I feel exercise is important but you have to find out what is fun for you to do so that you will keep up with it. Good luck.

We had to drop our gym membership, but I've been doing wii fit plus and biggest loser for wii at home, and I walk/jog outside. The wii is a good way to start and be able to get yourself moving!!