Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Confident Enough

I am getting banded on Wednesday, and I am trying to figure out what type of exercising I need to do. Here's my problem...I am sooo afraid of going to the gym and looking like a fat idiot. So my question is...until I get confident enough, do you think it would be ok to do my Wii Fit, my Jillian Michaels game for Wii and I have been thinking about getting the Zumba cds. Please give me your opinion!

Any activity you do will be good. As you gain strength and coordination maybe you will want to go to the gym, but you can get a great work out from what you have listed. As soon as you can, incorporate 2 or 3 pound dumb bells into your work out.

Best wishes,

Mimi

I see your in Tennessee, you can get some walking/running in all year when standing in front of the WII gets boring (I have a WII as well) Do you have a Curves in your area, or a women only gym if that helps?

TN,

Have you been to the gym? There are plenty of fat idiots. Especially around this time of year and everyone making New Years resolutions that never last.

You don't need some kind of stressful work out routine that you are going to hate and stop doing after a while. The WII Fit sounds like a great way to start and then throw in a little walking.

TN Girl,

I will probably give you a different take than most folks. A bit of tough love. First, you are doing this for yourself and going to a gym will help you benchmark progress. Make sure you keep a log of your workouts so you have proof of what your are doing good or bad, but data will be your friend and help you know you are doing the right things. Your don't have to share it with any one, but it lets you be honest with yourself.

1. If possible, hire a trainer it will be a huge bonus and help teach you the right ways to work out. If you hire a trainer, make sure you tell them the things you like to do and have them incorporate those things into you workout plan. Also be willing to listen to them.

2.Second, consider looking into the womens health website Fitness: Exercises & Fitness Training from Women's Health Magazine and download the workout plans to an ipod/phone.

3. This is a process, you will go through many levels of workout before you reach your goals. This is why that data from the log is so vital. It helps keep things balanced when you have bad days and we all do.

4. Talk to people at the gym who look like your goal, watch what they do. Train to be what you want to become. basketball players trainer different from contestants on "Dance With the Stars." or from Olympic skiers. Most of them work hard to get to and keep their bodies. You may run into a few jerks, but you will find most like to share what they do.

5. It is going to be tough and somewhat intimidating to jump into the gym if you have never been. I won't try to kid, you it will mean having some resolve, but the fact that you are doing the band is a bigger tougher thing than the gym. if you can do that, you can conquer the gym.

6. Finally, the only important thing is that you are doing positive things for your body and that your are honest about what you are doing and how hard you are working.

I hope this helps :thumbup:

Shaun

2.Second, consider looking into the womens health website Fitness: Exercises & Fitness Training from Women's Health Magazine and download the workout plans to an ipod/phone.

Cingulus, Thanks for posting the link to that site--I had no idea there were even sites out there like that--I'm looking forward to downloading the playlist for spinning!

I was banded in September, and I don't go to the gym... I'm just not comfortable with it yet and I don't have the extra money. I do work out just about every night when I get home from work though.

I started out with this Leslie Sansone walking video that I found on youtube:

Then I bought a few extra videos of hers that had more miles and more intense work outs. I also have Jillian Michaels' 20 day shred video. I have a kickboxing video (don't really like it too much.. I don't feel that I have enough balance for it), and a kettle bell workout.

I have hand weights, kettle bells, resistance bands, etc.. at home. My go wear fit band says that when I walk Leslie's 3 mile power walk, I burn over 400 calories. I go all out, work my butt off because I'm comfortable in my home. I think I would be more refined if I were in a gym or thought that people were watching me.

I have been to the gym, and I actually have a membership to The Rush here in my town. Almost every time I go, I do what I can handle, which is at least 30 minutes of brisk walking on the treadmill. Sometimes I would switch it up with the bike. But I have had people look at me and talk about how short of a time I was on the treadmill. That's what has killed it for me.

Cingulus, thank you for the website! And to be honest, I need that "tough love". I'm the type that it will motivate me more and a light bulb will go off in my head and I will say "You're right".

Bill, I cannot get walking in all year round here. lol The high the next couple of days is only in the 30's. To us...that's too cold!!! But it's like this every winter lol

i can completely understand you being concious about going to the gym but you will find it the opposite, people will support you. If you can bring yourself to doing that then get outside and walk and when you know no one is around and looking, pick a spot in the distance maybe at first 20 feet away and run to it, then gradually increase tht distance. Trust me after a month you will notice a huge difference and you wont even think about being concious but you need to do it 4 times a week and stick at it for a month and I promise you will feel better and fitter. Try it.

I joined a gym that has a women only room. I think most gyms have those now.

I know it's not easy, but I just started this week. I just kind of sneak in there. One woman got on the treadmill next to me and refused to even look at me so I could say hello.

Not to worry, people just want to get in and out and do "their" thing.

I started out walking for about 6 months daily in my neighborhood and then worked up to joining the gym. I think the walking helped.

Just do what feels comfortable to you and remember the people that work there are there to help. Ask questions!

Bill, I cannot get walking in all year round here. lol The high the next couple of days is only in the 30's. To us...that's too cold!!! But it's like this every winter lol
They sell coats and hats in TN, right? C'mon. You can walk outdoors---and really, it's great for the soul to be outside and in nature.

I walk twice a day, outdoors, through Chicago winters. Layers and determination are all it takes. A persistent canine helps.

It is addictive.

I love walking outdoors. I know it's because I am out of shape, but every time I do walk outdoors for exercise the cold air makes my chest hurt. I just can't bring myself to walk outside in cold air. I have been doing the Jillian Michaels workout for my Wii.

Find things you enjoy and do them regularly.

Here's the other thing - In the past when I would make the same statement you made - my fit friends would say " no one cares but you" and "people are just there to work out". I always thought it was a line of crap to make me feel better.

18 months, 130 pounds and more gym trips then i can count - you know, they were right!!! I couldn't tell you what anyone at my gym looks like- what they wear or whatever. I put on my headphones and sweat.

Silvers....I agree that some people don't care and are just there to work out. But I have been on the treadmill at the gym before, along with some other overweight people. And we heard fit people talking about us. That's what has made me not confident enough. I'm dying to do the Couch to 5k, but I refuse to do it at the gym because of what happened there. My husband told me that if any of the gym staff heard them they would have been kicked out because it is against the rules of the gym. We just got about 4 inches of snow here yesterday (yes, in southeast TN lol) so outside is definitely out. I'm at a loss here. My weight is at a stand still, but then again I only have had 1 fill so I don't have restriction. I've always dreamed of being a person who could go out and just run, and I plan on making that dream come true. I know it will take time.

TN_girl21- hey there! Jillian Michaels is killer! Have you tried her 30 day shred? She makes you hate her, lol. So a suggestion I have is trying a DIFFERENT gym? Or investing in an IPOD so you can't hear anyone if they are rude and make a comment?

On a sidenote- not to be harsh, but it almost seems like you are at the point of making excuses why you can't do this or won't do that. If you don't take charge, your results of your band is not going to be what you probably want.

I joined a gym at 362 pounds- mind you at that point I had a workout buddy (safety in numbers!), i never heard anyone make any comments, but if they did oh well...atleast I am trying to better myself!

Goodluck!