Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing the right thing?

Hello all,

Most of you know my story, but for those who don't. Last year I refinanced my house to pay off bills and have money to pay for my lapband. I was banded December 21, 2004. Was thrilled with it, but had a little trouble because I seemed to be too tight a lot of the time. Then caught a nasty stomach virus that had me throwing up violently and it shoved my band down around the middle of my stomach. Had to make a trip to my wonderful doctor in Mexico and he ended up having to remove it (port and all). He said if I wish to get rebanded I would have to wait about 6 months. Well...that was 3 months ago and I miss my band terribly.

Anyway, I am planning to be rebanded hopefully at the end of January 2006. I've even taken out another loan and am stashing it away in preparation.

Going more in debt scares me and I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. But then again...my band was the one thing I've done for myself ever. It gave me control, hope and I felt good about the direction I was going. Now, I find myself out of control (eating and weight gain) and feeling panicky. But I'm also afraid I'll have problems again although my plan is to take fills very cautiously and slow.

Thoughts and suggestions anyone?

Thank you!

Oh man Darcey, I know if it was me, I would get the new band. Even with all my whinning and crying, pissing and moaning about how I'm not losing any weight, I would still get a new band. I would just know I was a slow loser.

The band represents control and hope for you. When you put it that way, I don't think any financial sacrifice is too great. You deserve to put yourself first and get a new band.

I have to agree with VQ, if I lost mine tomorrow, I'd have to try it at least one more time.

It is the one thing I've done for me and I have no regrets, but then again I haven't had to have it removed. I wish you the best with that decision, but unless I became deathly ill for a long time, I would do it again.

What size was your band, same doctor doing the surgery, going back with same size and brand band?

Darcy,

If you can hoestly afford the extra loan note, I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

My band has given me something called self-esteem... no amount of money is worth that.

good luck.

By the way, why did your doc want you to wait 6 months? My guess would be that it would be cheaper and easier if he rebanded you while he removed the old one... just asking. :)

I ask myself just how much is my life worth? didn't seem like much before the band I was so miserable. I was lucky and finally got insurance approval. but I was looking at ways to finance it if I didn't... and it has made a world of difference in the quality of my life in just 4 months. If something happened I would have to do it again, if at all possible.

hi

Here comes the old devils advocate again...forgive me.....I'm not negative.Im just living with complications and I am more realistic now than when I was desperate...might also be that I have lost quite a lot of weight now and thinking more brave than before...who knows.....

There is no guarantee that even if nothing goes wrong short term,long term nothing will.Do yourself a favour and do as much research as possible about band removals.There is quite a few nowadays and more re-bandings than ever before.More port problems as well.

Seeing that you have the money availabe I would get a personal trainer,a good supportive dietitian or group,a therapist a commitment to losing weight and try to change the habits that get us to a point of needing a band in the first place.That is what I would have done if I had the knowledge then that I have now......

But hindsight is 20/20 they say.....

Good luck on making your desicion.

I would do it again in a heart beat. I have gained so much in self esteem and pride in my self I would not want to be back where I started.

Darcey,

on another note, Geezer Sue is getting the DS.

Have you thought of the possibility of another WLS? You may want to shop around!

By the way, why did your doc want you to wait 6 months? My guess would be that it would be cheaper and easier if he rebanded you while he removed the old one... just asking. :(

Paula-When he removed my band, my stomach was purple and would have been perforated if I had waited one more day. He wanted me to heal completely first and start out healthy.

Thank you for all your thoughts and feelings on this.

Seeing that you have the money availabe I would get a personal trainer,a good supportive dietitian or group,a therapist a commitment to losing weight and try to change the habits that get us to a point of needing a band in the first place.That is what I would have done if I had the knowledge then that I have now......

But hindsight is 20/20 they say.....

Good luck on making your desicion.

Thank you Desertmom for your thoughts and concerns. The reason I got my band in the first place is I've tried the personal trainer, supportive groups and therapy and numerous other ways for 20 years now and I've just gotten bigger.

For the most part, my band-life was pretty good. My doctors said I had a picture perfect surgery and recovery. I did pretty well until I caught that stomach virus. I know it wasn't just my band because my aunt came to tell me why she hadn't been at work (we work at the same place) and how sick she was (throwing up violently for days and couldn't even keep Water down and she's not banded!)

I'm sorry you're having so many problems. I hope things improve for you in all areas of your life, but especially your health because that's what we're here for, right? Take care.