Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Pain at left rib cage area

Views
Started by allaboutmefl, Feb 13, 2008 2:19 PM
57 replies to this topic
57 replies to this topic

allaboutmefl

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted February 19, 2008 - 10:51 AM

Oh no Megster. Sorry to hear that. Do you workout or do sit ups? I read somewhere that we're not suppose to do stomach exercises for the first 6-12 months. It increases the chance for the port to flip. One girl on this site said her doctor manipulated her port to flip it back in place??? Sounds painful. I can't wait to ask the doctor in 2 weeks what my "feeling" is from.

ghostbuster

Posted February 20, 2008 - 11:53 AM

I am also having intense pain in my left rib cage area. Right at the bottom of the ribs mostly on the side to the front a little bit. It started about a week ago, when I had an un-fill due to extreme post-nasal drippage, due to sever bronchitis. ( I am on antibiotics and a nasal spray and advair so I think it's getting better). The pain is really sharp and I can't lay on my stomach or left-side when I sleep. I don't think it's a slip because I haven't had any trouble eating or vomiting. But the pain is really sharp and specific to one spot. Is it possible that my band is pressing on my ribs? or something like that? My port is right under my ribs on the right side, closer to the middle and sometimes that gets a little sore.

allaboutmefl

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Maybe something pressing on our liver or diaphragm? I'll post the doctors findings after my appointment.

ghostbuster

Posted February 20, 2008 - 2:23 PM

Wow, at lunch I was just having some soup, and I had to cough and I felt someting in my side kind of Pop or click, and now it hurts much worse. I called my doctors office but the soonest they can get me in is the 28th. They said they couldn't even get a message to my doctor. I'm kind of ticked off about that. They said if it hurts that bad I should go to the emergency room. That would suck. I'll see how I feel after work. I have tickets to a play tonight that I really don't want to miss.

KarenG.

Posted February 20, 2008 - 3:07 PM

I just got back from the surgeon's office. I had a similar pain,tugging feeling and I found out I have a hernia there that is causing the discomfort. Just FYI because your problem could be anything! Good luck.

allaboutmefl

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:56 AM

Karen,

Do you have to have surgery to fix the hernia?

Ghostbuster, Hope you are feeling better..

ghostbuster

Posted February 21, 2008 - 2:37 PM

Thanks allaboutmefl, I am feeling a little better, but it does usually get worse at night and it hurts when I lean back in a chair.

Karen, That is good and bad news, at least it's not your band right? but it does suck to have a hernia, let us know how it goes!

Posted February 21, 2008 - 2:46 PM

I have the same weird left side pain. Not in the exact area indicated in that picture. Mine is a little more over to the left side and kinda runs up and down.

My port is about 3 inches to the left of my belly button, so it's lower than most I think... not sure.

My pain is inconsistant. sometimes if I eat too much, or whatever, can't pin it down. I remember reading in all my pre-op stuff (All for Bypass patients btw) that people experience left side pain and that was due to the fact that they had their plumbing re-routed on and mostly on that side. Considering that doesn't apply to us bandsters... I wonder where our side pain comes from.

I'm checking with my nurse practitioner... I'll let you know if I find anything out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Jul 27
    BlissfullyBanded

Just put up new progress pictures on my blog! Link is in my profile :)

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      Jul 27
    noradelgado66

my surgery is tomorrow morning and of course i'm scared. And i'm sta...

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Trending Topics