Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain at left rib cage area

I have been banded for six months. I first noticed this uncomfortable feeling in my left rib area after surgery when I put my leg up to shave. It's the area right below where my bra sits. If I straighten out my posture or body it seems to go away. I cut all the wires from my underwire bra and still find myself moving my bra off my skin in that area. It's not painful, just uncomfortable sometimes. My port is a few inches away from the "mystery" area.

I don't have a problem with reflux. Do other people experience this? I find myself often straightening up my posture and moving my bra. Weird. What is it?

6 month picture Dr V.bmp

*disclaimer - I am not a medical professional, and I may be completely wrong*

Does the pain seem to be coming from on top of your ribcage, or under it? Could you possibly be feeling the tubing??? Not the port or the band itself, but the tube that connects the two?

The feeling is right at the edge of my rib cage. From the center of my body at the bra line. It is 2 1/2-3" down and 2 1/2-3" to the left. Maybe something is swollen in the area? I sneeze daily and they are usually pretty forceful. I don't know if something is slightly out of place???? Is it normal to feel like something is in there at times when you move certain ways?

I sneeze pretty hard several times a day, and I can't say I've ever felt anything besides my port if I feel anything at all. Maybe someone else who has experienced something similar can chime in with their ideas about it.

I'm curious to know what the cause is, though.

I don't feel the "uncomfortable" feeling when I sneeze. It's usually when my posture is bad or I'm sitting down. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks Travelgirl

I have a similar pain. It almost seems like a cramp when you are running. It seems to be always there just dull. I have been to my family dr and she just thinks its gas. Is this the kind of pain you are getting?

Not sure if it's gas pain. It is a dull cramping feeling. Does yours bother you below the bra line? Does your bra or poor posture irritate it?

The area you have circled on the photo is where my PORT is. Are you sure your port is not there?

I thought my port was by the large incision, but my doctor confirmed that it is under my left breast at the under my rib cage... (the same place you have circled).

I am quite large busted, and if I slouch, I can feel it. I experience all of the feelings you mentioned.

When I asked my doctor, he said it was normal.

I have the same exact pain. If I sit up straight, sometimes I can belch and relieve the pressure. I've had stabbing pain in that area as well that turned about to be reflux.

i get that stabbing pain in the same spot from time to time. i dont know what it is. i checked my lab work. my lipase was elevated. now my lipase is normal, but on the high end. i havent had the pain lately. i tried to eat better and i think that is helping. im not worried about it. but maybe you should check your lab work to see if everything is ok.

I just called the doctor and scheduled a fill. The appointment is not till March 4th. I'll ask him about the mystery left side feeling. The past week I've noticed I can eat larger portions or find myself going back to put a little bit more on my plate. Not good. Today is my seven month anniversary and I only lost 2lbs in the last four weeks. Bummer.

What is your lipase level? I've never heard of it. Do you think your level is off because maybe our stomachs don't have the same level of stomach acids to digest food in the upper pouch? I've always wondered how the stomach acids are affected by having a small upper pouch.

oh my gosh--i have the same thing! I first noticed when I tried to shave my left leg. I still have that feeling and I also notice if I don't sit up straight it gets a little sore. I am curious about that too!!