Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Steps of Overeaters Anonymous

Where can I get the Big Book? Can you do OA without attending meetings or is the support the vital part? I don't know if I'm ready for a meeting in public.

You can go to any 12 step meeting if its a OPEN meeting, just specify YOUR addiction as food. They are very nice people and will make you welcome.

You can buy lots of literature at an AA meeting, specific OA material you'd have to get at an OA meeting or posibly order ONLINE... try WWW.OA.org

I was a member for 4+ years and prior to banding, was the only thing that really helped me with my weight issues... funny I found that there was WAY more I needed to deal with than my weight... mostly relationship, fear, trust, self worth issues... sound familiar???

Good luck

Maudan, I think you will find the meetings inspiring, Anonymous of course (all the meetings I've ever been to people just use their first names), and very safe. You don't even have to say a word - many people don't. The meetings are a great place to be with people who share our particular addiction, and you'll find you are not alone. And you don't have to be alone. You don't have to do it on your own.

Hugs,

Donna

I've gotten several books off Amazon.com. Do a search of OA books, pick some that you would like to read.

I recommend having the Big Book. I also recommend the pocket version of OA.

I don't really overeat or binge but I just eat the wrong things in small portions on a regular basis. All the time--a few chips here, a few spoonfuls of ice cream, small piece of cake, etc. i pretty much can eat the wrong things (in small portions) at any and every given meal. which means it all adds up and packs those pounds on. I guess that qualifies me as a food addict. I could never give up sugar or flour so I am just not ready for this. Maybe i am hoping the band will give me better Portion Control but ultimately i make the food choices.

If you're planning on having the band you really should plan to give up flour. bread will make you wish you were dead. It is painful especially if it causes a blockage. I tried, trust me, it is painful. Also the band is ony a tool. You have to be willing to do your part and sugar in any food plan is poison!! I don't want this to come off as harsh because I've been where you are at and know that this is not a CURE ALL. You really have to do your part and eating small amounts all day is something that must be changed also. That was my biggest obstacle! Good luck to you and I'm here if you ever need or want to chat. Make the changes.. You ARE WORTH IT!!!!!

I agree with you lap dancer. The Big book is the original book of instructions for the 12 Steps. As they say at my home group meeting.. The elevater to recovery is out of order, you must take the steps! Keeo up the great work and remember, progress, not perfection! Sheila

I don't really overeat or binge but I just eat the wrong things in small portions on a regular basis. All the time--a few chips here, a few spoonfuls of ice cream, small piece of cake, etc. i pretty much can eat the wrong things (in small portions) at any and every given meal. which means it all adds up and packs those pounds on. I guess that qualifies me as a food addict. I could never give up sugar or flour so I am just not ready for this. Maybe i am hoping the band will give me better Portion Control but ultimately i make the food choices.

OA is not just for those of us who binge- it is for anyone who feels that they are powerless over food. It doesn't specify degrees. I have found a great deal of ecovery in 12 step programs. It is not so different than th eband. It works if you work it!

It is not my business to tell you what step you are at, but admitting we are powerless over food is a good start on the first step. By the way, I spent 3 years on the 1st step! I am a slow learner, but my Higher Power takes all kinds.

Kat W

Hi to everyone, I have been devouring this web site since I found it a little over a week ago. I just found this particular site tonight and realize I might need some help in this area. I am also a food addict who goes on binges sometimes to the point of making myself sick. I can't believe I just admitted that! I am in the process of getting approved for lap band and should be having the surgery in about a month. I have completed all the tests and programs and meeting and such. But after having read all these posts I have come to the realization that I need more than the band. I don"t know where to start........can anyone help me? jenhay

Hi to everyone, I have been devouring this web site since I found it a little over a week ago. I just found this particular site tonight and realize I might need some help in this area. I am also a food addict who goes on binges sometimes to the point of making myself sick. I can't believe I just admitted that! I am in the process of getting approved for lap band and should be having the surgery in about a month. I have completed all the tests and programs and meeting and such. But after having read all these posts I have come to the realization that I need more than the band. I don"t know where to start........can anyone help me? jenhay

You are already helping yourself. I am free to talk anytime. Email me- whatever.

First things first- Find a meeting and go. If there is not one in your area, you can go to Overeaters Anonymous: 12-step recovery program from compulsive eating - they have a list of online meetings that go on every three hours. Also Yahoo has an excellent OA group. I get email from it everyday.

I have found amazing hope and recovery through working the steps. Not always on my timeline or according to my plan, but recovery. As they say in my OA home group- Welcome to OA, welcome Home!

Kat W

Greetings to all:

I have been working my food addiction recovery since last summer. I think the misconception with the world is that we don't REALLY have a food addiction, we just need to pull away from the table. (*winks...yeah,right*).

It's important to note that if you have a resolve that no one will make you give up a certain food, Lap Band or not, you might be in for a rude awakening. Sometimes that journey is one people must take on their own and slime and vomit and pain are needed to make someone realize that the very things they consume that got them to where they are can be the very same things that they still battle regardless of having the band. Like it is always said, the band is a TOOL.

OA has been part of this tool pack I carry. I acknowledge and accept that food has an overwhelming power over me. That there are some foods that speak my name and I obsess over them. These same foods got me pushing close to 400 pounds, barely able to walk, unable to fully recover from surgery and restricted my life function to a breathless and apnea filled sleepless night.

*Nothing should have this kind of power over you*

I encourage you to explore OA. There are several Yahoo groups. There is an OA group on yahoo. There is an emotional issues and OA group that I belong to.

One thing I discovered in trying to peel away the why of my addiction is a comment by a friend who found in her therapy group, 7 out of the 10 individuals in this group had been abused.

And the journey goes on. If anyone has any questions or needs support, please feel comfortable contacting me. I am a safe and confidential source of information to help with OA questions.

Patty

THANKS CAT AND DANCER. JUST KNOWING THERE IS SOMEONE I CAN TALK TO AND BE ABLE TO REALLY SAY THINGS ABOUT MYSELF THAT I HAVE NEVER TALKED TO ANYONE ABOUT, WILL BE A BIG HELP , I THINK. AT LEAST IT WILL BE A START. I KNOW I MAY NOT HAVE AS MUCH WEIGHT TO LOSE AS A LOT OF PEOPLE, BUT IT STILL WILL BE HARD. I JUST WENT BACK TO MY REGULAR DR. ON THURSDAY AND HE DIAGNOSED ME WITH TYPE 2 DIABETIS AND STARTED ME ON MEDS FOR THAT. I AM ALLREADY TAKEING A LOT OF MEDS AND NOW I GET TO ADD ANOTHER ONE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT MY GOAL WEIGHT WILL BE BUT I AM GUESSING THAT I NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 75 LBS. I AM TAKING MEDS FOR HIGH CHOLESTROL, DEPRESSION, PLAVIX, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND DIABETIS. MY DOCTOR SAID THAT IF I LOST THE WEIGHT THAT I COULD POSSIBLY COME OFF EVERYTHING BUT THE CHOLESTROL AND PLAVIX, BUT THOSE TWO WOULD BE AT A MUCH LOWER DOSE. I AM 53 YRS OLD AND I FEEL LIKE 63 [i AM GUESSING] I WANT TO FEEL BETTER! looking better would be nice too, but feeling better and possibly living longer is my real goal. i want to be able to give myself a pedicure like i used to before i got so big that i can hardly reach them now without a long scrub brush! I NEED TO QUIT RANTING AND RAVING FOR TONIGHT AND GIVE YOU ALL A BREAK. THANKS FOR LISTENING. jenhay

I haven't gotten a fill yet so i haven't really experienced the PB and slime. I am sure if pain is associated to certain foods I obsess over, I will no doubt learn to avoid them. I am also 53 and my blood pressure and wait has been climbing in recent years since menopause. My mother's family is prone to diabetes so it is just a matter of time for me. I probably would not have considered surgery but my gyn told me at my annual visit in February that my weight and health problems were going to exaccerbate in the future. Just because of age and metabolism slow downs. I have lost 11 poounds since surgery and am so excited. Its not as much as others post but for me it is great. Just to go down and 10 pounds at that. Do you know how hard 10 pounds has been in the past? I have been on ketosis diets for weeks to get that result. With every pound comes encouragement and determination. It is going to be a long slow road. I am so glad you all are here for support.

IDo you know how hard 10 pounds has been in the past?

HooBoy - can I relate to that, Fluffycat!!! You really sound like you are ready and motivated for your new lifestyle. YOU CAN DO IT :teeth_smile: