Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Steps of Overeaters Anonymous

hi shiela this is wella 123 i am wheat free now for two weeks and am going to go sugar free from monday, sorry i have not been in touch but i am going to commit to going on line each morning , hope to catch up soon wella 123 from ireland bande one year next week

Is the wheat/sugar free a requirement of OA? I went to a few meetings, but life just got to hectic to continue. I never go to start the step program.

I remember them saying no artificial sweetners either.

what is a typical day of eating like gluten and sugar free?

Can someone give me a sample day's diet?

Thanks.

I defintively have food cravings.

I do have to say, though, that weigh-ins really seem to help me. If I have to be accountable to someone on that dreaded scale, I somehow manage to lose. For that reason, I may look into WW.

thanks.

Just found this thread. Was banded a year ago and have been at goal for the past 4 months. I was lucky enough to only had to have 2 fills to find my sweet spot and lose 80 lbs. I have been a member of OA for 13 years and saw how some of my weight lose bothers and sisters were treated. I've only told my sponsor and the members of my Man's Group meeting. In OA abstinence is defined as not eating compulsively and staying clear of my individual binge foods. I just also took my one year coin. My anniversary date is the same date I started my liquid diet. My food plan is different from everyone else’s. I also see a nutritionist and a therapist. I told myself if I’m going through this I’m going to get all the support I can muster and so far it’s working. My band is another tool in my arsenal to fight my disease of compulsive overeating. I'm glad I've found you guys here. Keep coming back it works if you work it!

Hi Daniel, Thank you for sharing. I have been in OA almost 4 years. In my first two years I was abstinent, working the program and lost 90 lbs. Then life got in the way, i stopped going to meetings and gained 80 back. (that's when my Dr. suggested the surgery). I feel that OA is always in my heart and i KNOW that it works for me if I work it. I feel the same as you said, one more tool in my arsenal. I'm going back to meetings and trying to get back to working the program.

I was so excited to see a 12 step thread started finally here... a whole area for multiple threads even... I tried to start a thread for people who have been in OA/FA to get feedback on how others in program have responded, did you share at a group level or only with your sponsor... could you help out that thread maybe and share your experience there?

This thread is GREAT for people to help learn about OA and if it's right for you. I'd really like to see some threads for support for people IN OA and working the program for support. I know you're all out there... I could really use the help. I haven't gotten a good response from some people in OA...I lost my sponsor when I decided to get the surgery. I know thats just her, and I keep on going...

Thank you all.:)

Well, I am glad to have found this thread... I was in OA before.. for 3 yrs and it was successful for me. Its a lot of work.

I guess right now I am able to do step 1 I am a compulsive overeater and my life is unmanageable.

2) Came to beleive that a power greater than myself can restore me to sanity.

3) Became willing to let that Higher Power remove my food addiction...? is that right , Am I remembering step 3 properly.?

4) Made a fearless inventory of our wrongs.

...thinking that I am somewhere between #2 & #3 ?

I am at Step 1 AGAIN!! This is such a journey thru hell, for me at least! I have danced with the devil my whole life and I am weary! I am powerless,my life is unmanageable and I am turning it over to God this very second.

I am going to my first OA meeting tonight. All day long I've been overwhelmed with all my feelings of self-loathing, and it's driving me crazy. They say the program starts the minute you commit, so I guess I'm in for a wild ride.

I didn't think overeating would be an issue anymore after I got my band. I hoped the band would be a little magic ring, and I'd be surviving on four bites of food every day and living happily ever after. *groan*

It's been a year since my banding. I can't believe how I have so unconciously worked on finding the foods that my band will let me binge on. Ice cream. Lays. Cheetos. Chip and dip. Buttered popcorn. When did I ever learn that I could do a whole bag of Lays with no problem???? Talking to another person and being able to list the foods I can scarf down in limitless quantities was a shock to me. I have become so mindless in my eating!!!

Nothing has changed. I lost forty pounds, then plateaued at my current weight for the past five months. This weekend I got frustrated and totally pissed off - I ate whatever I wanted and I didn't care. Self-destuction at it's worst.

Then called up my local OA and asked if I could come to a meeting. Then I got on the website and started reading - some of it scarey, some of it breathtaking. Mostly scarey - but also with the hope of having hope. I hope I can get back to the band as a tool - not a magical implant.

Hugs,

Donna

I hope your meeting went well. I've found a lot of support at OA.

A friend called from the World Service meeting today to check on my after my banding on Monday, and she said one of the groups she went to discussed reaching out to people who have had bariatric surgery. I was glad to hear that. I'll post more when I hear more from her.

Oh thank God, somebody else lives on this thread! Yay!

Tricia, so great to see your message. Yes, the meeting went well. Very eye-opening and sobering. This week so far, five days, I've lost 3 pounds and I'm feeling better already - just by abstaining from my trigger foods! I realize that 100-calorie packs and Portion Control does not work for me. I've got to accept that I'm a food addict and compulsive overeater.

Hugs!

Donna

Glad it's working for you. I've haven't been to meeting since my surgery next week, but I plan to go Sat. a.m. A lot of my OA friends have called to see how I am doing.

Like you, I think the answer is going to be to stay away from my trigger foods. I don't think I'll ever be the kind of person who can have "just a little bit" and not become obsessed with eating more.

Tricia, I've been to two meetings so far. I bought the Big Book last time, and have been reading it.

I'm mad at food right now. Do you think that might be a common step in the process?

Hugs,

Donna

Cunning, baffling and powerful they call it in the big book. I don't really think I was mad at food, I was mad food made me fat! And mad at the cravings I couldn't control. And sometimes mad at God for picking me to have this problem.

Where can I get the Big Book? Can you do OA without attending meetings or is the support the vital part? I don't know if I'm ready for a meeting in public.