Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time sticking to my diet

My NUT gave me a suggested diet plan for me to follow for the next 3 months (required by my insurance). She didn't say how much weight I needed to lose by my next appointment (7/12) but I suspect it's at least 10 lbs. I'm having a hard time sticking to it, but I will get myself back on track.

Any tips for me on how to stay on track? I don't want to end up getting denied by my insurance due to lack of effort.

Edited by Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins

Hello there!

Prior to surgery I slipped up a couple times and I have thyroid health issues so loosing on my own was rough. They normally like to see you loose 10-20 pounds pre op. I found it easier to plan 4-6 small meals daily the day before and I am always on the go some brought a lunch bag with me and grazed all day and that keeps your metabolism going. Increase exercise even if you walk for 20-30mins after dinner or before Breakfast. Cut out all starches, my dinner consisted of a Protein the Size of my palm and a cup of veggies or salad. No soda or high sugared drinks or foods.

Good luck!

I would highly suggest myfitnesspal.com to help you track carbs, Protein, calories, etc. Also, get the bad stuff out of your house if possible. you'll be doing anyone who lives with you a favor anyway by bringing healthy food into the house and taking out the junk. I would also suggest you raise Water intake as much as possible. The more hydrated you are, the less hungry you'll be. Eat protein with every meal, and cut way back (or eliminate) extra sugar and soda. Just doing these things will bring you a long way towards meeting your goals. :) hope this helps!

First of all, don't guess about what your goal is! Really, don't guess.

Ask.

Make sure the answer is specific with regard to weight loss, weight loss rate, weight loss maintenance -- anything else you can think of.

Very best to you. :)

My NUT gave me a suggested diet plan for me to follow for the next 3 months (required by my insurance). She didn't say how much weight I needed to lose by my next appointment (7/12) but I suspect it's at least 10 lbs. I'm having a hard time sticking to it, but I will get myself back on track.

Any tips for me on how to stay on track? I don't want to end up getting denied by my insurance due to lack of effort.

I would ask her how much weight she's expecting you to lose. Mine had no expectations at all. Just learned how to eat for post-op living (high Protein, low carb). Preparation of meals was key to me! Also - I went to therapy to learn how to cope with emotional eating.

I used the pre-op time to start practicing you new habits.

For instance use this as a great opportunity to start tracking your food if you aren't doing so already.

Get in the habit of taking your Vitamins and supplements (even if it is just a Multivitamin for now.) Pre-op, I was told to take a Multivitamin, Iron, and extra D3.

I also used the time to wean myself from carbonation and caffeine, and to practice learning to eat mindfully (eating slowly, taking small bites, and chewing thoroughly).

I also suggest that if you are having difficulties or have questions, give your NUT a call. You don't have to do this in a vacuum.

I didn't have a specific goal, just had to show weight loss, whether it be 1 pound or 100 pounds. The main purpose of the pre-op diet is to get you to change your habits. It will be easier to succeed after surgery if you have already changed the way you eat before. Don't think of this as showing them what you can do, think of this as your time to prepare yourself for what is ahead and show yourself what you can do.

When you want to cheat, don't think about them, think about YOU! You are in this for YOU!

Two important things that you can do at this point is:

First, eliminate all caffeine and carbonated beverages from your diet. At the start of the program I went cold turkey on my 6 diet coke a day habit. I lost 20 pounds pre-op from this change alone. I suffered through a week of caffeine withdrawal syndrome of severe headaches and body aches as a result. It is better to go through this now instead of waiting just prior to surgery and then compounding the effects of caffeine withdrawal and the effects of recovering from the surgery.

Second, walk 30 minutes per day (or equivalent exercise), every day from now on. It really speeds on the recovery process and also minimizes the pain you might experience from surgery.

Just got off the phone with my nutritionist. She said I have to lose at least 5% of my body weight to show my insurance company that I'm making an effort.

Just got off the phone with my nutritionist. She said I have to lose at least 5% of my body weight to show my insurance company that I'm making an effort.

So at 344, 5 percent is 17.5 pounds. That is their goal. What is your goal? Don't do the minimum. They want you to lose 5%? Lose 10%. Of course it is easier said than done, but taking the easy path is what got all of us here. Change your habits for real this time. It will all be worth it in the long run. I'll say it again, this is not for them, this is for you!

My goal is to lose 30-40 lbs by August 18 (my last appointment with my NUT). I've joined a gym and will be working out 3 days a week starting July 1st (and exercise at home 2 days a week). Nutritionist weighed me at my first consultation and I was 350 lbs and I lost 6 lbs by my official weigh in. I walk around a a lot around my house and do stretches to keep my knees from getting stiff so I will continue to do that, plus I already drink several glasses of Water a day.

My goal is to lose 30-40 lbs by August 18 (my last appointment with my NUT). I've joined a gym and will be working out 3 days a week starting July 1st (and exercise at home 2 days a week). Nutritionist weighed me at my first consultation and I was 350 lbs and I lost 6 lbs by my official weigh in. I walk around a a lot around my house and do stretches to keep my knees from getting stiff so I will continue to do that, plus I already drink several glasses of Water a day.

That's a hefty goal. Good luck!

Stick to the basics. Proteins and veggies. Lots of veggies. If you struggle with getting veggies in, you can brown some meat (chicken, lean turkey, buffalo), saute peppers (green bell, yellow bell, red bell) and red onions, combine and add some low sodium taco seasoning. You can eat on that through out the day.

Pick one to two days a week (not back to back) where you can get a few more carbs in (old fashioned oats, sweet potatoes (skip the butter and sugar), brown rice) then do the Protein and veggies on days in between. You'll be surprised at how much weight you'll drop just by following this along with upping your Water. There are no shortcuts to healthy living and keeping the weight off.

There are videos on YouTube that you can workout to in your own home.

Surgery is a tool not the solution. So start establishing healthy habits now!! Much success to you.

Get a notebook and start a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. Reason #1 can be what you already wrote, "I don't want to end up getting denied by my insurance due to lack of effort."

Keep each reason specific and narrow. For example, "To wear size 7 underpants" instead of "To wear a smaller size." "So that my dance moves are visible" instead of "Not to be a mysterious blob on the dance floor." "To comfortably play on the floor with my baby (niece, whomever)" instead of "To move more easily."

Whatever you want for yourself and your life belongs on the list. It can grow quite long, so don't even think of writing it all in one sitting. As new reasons occur to you, write them down.

A comprehensive list of reasons that you want to lose weight will help keep you mindful of each choice you make along the way. You'll also learn things about yourself that you may not have fully recognized before.

Maybe you also want to be physically stronger so that you can easily carry that impressive, four-part name!

You can do this.

So I am need of some advice, I am almost 5 years post surgery. Over the last few months I have had a terrible time staying focused. I am not pigging out, and I don't eat out very often, even when we do my husband and I split a meal. I have had some added stress over the last few months and wonder if that might have something to do with it. The weird thing is that I don't have over my calories, I keep my Protein intake high, but seem to be craving carbs, and seem to feel hungry all the time. I seem to fluctuate 4 to 5 pounds a week. How can I get back on track and stay there. I feel like I can't talk to anyone in my family as all I hear is that I should be thankful for the weight I have lost, which I am, but they have no clue of the personal battle we all have inside when we decide to make such a life changing decision. Any advice would be awesome.