Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I just had my nutritional evaluation, scheduled my psychological evaluation and have class tonight. The more time that goes by, the more I keep finding myself thinking I can't wait to be skinny! I can't wait to wear all of the cute shorts and outfits that I've always loved but we're too big to wear! I'm very excited because at this moment I am more sure than ever that I want this surgery. Has anyone else had that aha moment where they put something on after surgery that they never thought they'd be able to wear? I bet it feels great. I can't wait to be skinny. Until then I will continue to work out and do my best with my diet but hopefully I won't chicken out before surgery.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I guess I would not have chosen to do this whole process for just weight loss. I have diabetes and it is causing problems health wise for me, so this is why I have chosen to do this surgery. The weight loss is a plus, but not the main reason for doing this. Unfortunately because of the amount of insulin I have to use in order to keep my numbers lower, but by no means in a good range, has caused me to balloon up to 271 lbs. I'm only 5'2", so needless to say I'm a bit of a ball. The weight is mostly in my stomach, so I also look pregnant. If it were just to lose weight, I could actually discipline myself to do that, but with the insulin it makes it near impossible to lose weight since insulin by nature causes fat to be stored. This surgery has been found to help control diabetes. So the weight loss is a plus, and I'm actually rather nervous to be "skinny" because I've always been a bit overweight my whole life. I don't really know what it is like to be "skinny".

Well I don't have any health issues. I'm 5'2 220 and it seems as though the doctors are kind of pushy for me to have the surgery. Loosing weight isn't the only reason why I'm getting the surgery but it is a big part of it. I am afraid that later on in life I'll develop problems because of excess weight.

I've tried working out and dieting. Matter of fact I work out at least 6 days a week. I feel like I'm not big enough to have surgery just for weight loss I'm semi happy in a size 14 jeans but my bariatric doctor seems to think I'd be a "great candidate" so I guess the only thing I'm really looking forward to is weight loss and not getting a debilitating disease due to excess weight as I get older.

Antionettemn619y1, I would be sure to check with whatever insurance you have to see if you will meet the criteria for WLS coverage. Some insurance companies do not cover if under a BMI of 40 without any comorbities such as hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol or high tryglicerides. I think that many doctors are gungho for this surgery for any patient who happens to be considered "obese" to them.

As far as developing debilitating diseases due to excess weight as you get older, that is a very real possibility, but it is also not going to happen for sure. I guess that depends on your lifestyle and eating habits. Size 14 isn't necessarily a horrible size. I wish I were a size 14 right now! :)

If you are going to do this surgery, much luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful time being "skinny". However, if you feel you can keep your health in check without the surgery, don't let anyone talk you into it just "because".

They did my hip to waist ratio and it was a .77 which fell in the good category. I asked if I managed to loose 50 pounds or so would I still be encouraged to get the surgery and they told me it goes by your original BMI but if I thought i could keep the weight off that I did not have to have the surgery but I feel like it's kind of being pushed on me. I've had body image issues my whole life even in college at 125. I know it might sound stupid to get surgery just for weight loss but I'm very scared of long term effects my weight may have in me and after I had my second child it's been extremely difficult to loose any weight up until the last few months. I guess I'm so scared of the surgery that right now the only thing I look forward to is the weight loss.

I completely understand body image issues, and wanting a tool to allow you to be at the weight you want to be. Considering your low bmi and general good health, have you considered getting a less drastic/invasive procedure than the RNY? Maybe a band or a sleeve? The RNY can be pretty intense and takes a LOT of work and diligence just to stay healthy for the rest of your life. Most people have absorption issues of some kind forever, and you have to take Vitamins AND supplements every single day of your life. It's something most people do because they are significantly overweight and the risk and huge effort it takes is worth it because the alternative is death. For someone who is as decently healthy and with such a low bmi, it might be safer and more effective for you in the long run to get a band or sleeve. Just my two cents. :)

I do meet it is have a BMI of 40 as of now.

Hi I came from a similar place. I was 5'1' and 213 lbs and, and BMI of 41, and size 16. Someone 5'1 at size 16 is a big person and the BMI proves it. We are morbidly obese and this surgery just may be the tool you need. I had no issues with insurance.... Since my out of pocket max was meet for the year I didn't pay a penny, not even for my rx's. I had surgery (VSG) 12/14/15. 195 day of surgery and now I am 169 at 7 weeks out. I can walk without pain, exercise, life is already more enjoyable. And I am getting excited for summer, enjoying the beach and yes wearing cute clothes. The thought of a swimsuit no longer scares me. That's what this surgery is about taking your health and your life back. Looking great is just the icing on the cake! Best of luck to you!

I never looked at it in terms of skinny as much as I did "healthy." The excess weight I was carrying was already taking it's toll on my body and something needed to be done before too much damage had occurred.

Already with my 50 lb weight loss I can tell an immense difference in my energy, my work out ability, new clothes, drop in BP, and hopefully an A1C that is under 6.

I'm vain so I enjoy looking good in clothes. However I didn't hate being fat and I didn't hate my body. If I could be fat and healthy I would be eating fried chicken right now. My health issues that were popping up made me choose to make a serious decision about my weight. I felt I was having old people problems at a young age. There are too many sacrifices to lose weight and go through surgery just to do it to be skinny or look a certain way for me personally.

I bought my first item recently that wasn't plus sized. It feels great but not enough to be worth going through surgery for. Only health and quality of life made surgery worth it.

This is an interesting topic because I have been considering the gastric bypass for about a month now. I'm 5'6 and weigh about 250lbs so I definitely qualify. I do not have comorbidities however I suffer from back aches, knee and ankle aches. I am tired of losing and gaining 100+ pounds but the thought of complications from the surgery scares me to death!!

I'd love to be skinny again, or even just get into the 160s.

If I was a size 14 and no health issues I doubt I'd get the surgery. As someone said, this is a very drastic surgery. Don't let anyone make that choice for you.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I guess I would not have chosen to do this whole process for just weight loss. I have diabetes and it is causing problems health wise for me, so this is why I have chosen to do this surgery. The weight loss is a plus, but not the main reason for doing this. Unfortunately because of the amount of insulin I have to use in order to keep my numbers lower, but by no means in a good range, has caused me to balloon up to 271 lbs. I'm only 5'2", so needless to say I'm a bit of a ball. The weight is mostly in my stomach, so I also look pregnant. If it were just to lose weight, I could actually discipline myself to do that, but with the insulin it makes it near impossible to lose weight since insulin by nature causes fat to be stored. This surgery has been found to help control diabetes. So the weight loss is a plus, and I'm actually rather nervous to be "skinny" because I've always been a bit overweight my whole life. I don't really know what it is like to be "skinny".

that was my first goal. Not weight but when my blood sugars were normal. I was on 200 units of lantus also humalog and my bs was in the 200. I was so happy when I was told to go off insulin. Good luck to you

I went in for my surgery this wednesday at a BMI of 34.

I had been around 40 once, but more importantly had like all six of the comorbidities; you know, diabetes, High BP, etc. so voila!

Btw, here on day 3 I'm at home thank god, incredibly tired from those three days, I'm gonna have my first little dinner now, probably around a half of an Atkins shake, then wait the 30 minutes and then keep sippin Water till bedtime

I am so glad I did this