Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you everyone for your honest replies. I'd like to say that this has not been an easy decision for me and just because I don't weigh 300 or 400 pounds doesn't mean I don't need the surgery. If any of you are like me you may know how it feels to bust your butt trying to loose weight with no results. I am very active. I use my elliptical sometimes 5 days a week, I take spin classes every week and I try to eat as healthy as possible. I cannot loose weight, only inches. It sucks being the biggest person at family get togethers especially when your the most active person there. It sucks to see your step father suffering from debilitating diabetes, and it's scary not knowing if later on in life your going to have to loose a limb or my eyesight, or suffer a heart attack or have to go through with this surgery in ten years when I may have other health problems. Do I want to be skinny? Yes! Do I deserve to be able to wear a swim suit in public without feeling ashamed? Yes! Those aren't the main reasons for getting this surgery though. I have busted my tail to loose weight and I still haven't stopped just because I am getting surgery in June or July. I deserve to be the me I work so hard to be. If it takes surgery then so be it but I do not want to spend the rest of my life being the fat one at get togethers. I don't want my children to be mocked because their mom is fat. I want more energy, I'm tired of being depressed. The only time I've ever been a normal weight was in high school and that's because I literally starved myself and played sports. So no this is not an easy decision that's motivated entirely from vanity. This has been a scary hard decision for me to make before it gets to late and I'm suffering from debilitating diseases caused by morbid obesity.

And I also understand that this surgery isn't easy, but it's also pretty difficult getting up at 5 am dragging a 11 month old to the gym working out 2 hours a day, coming home doing everything a stay at home mom has to do an then getting on an elliptical for another 30 minutes to an hour and having absolutely no weight loss results. I've lost 23 inches over all but only 5 pounds. That's hard. Busting your butt so hard in the gym with thin fit people is hard, working out so hard that at the end of your workout you look like someone put you in the oven then poured a bucket of Water on you is hard, not getting results when you try try try is hard.

Antionettemn619, you don't have to explain to anyone why you are getting this surgery. This is your body and your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to be healthy and thin.

By the way, just in case I read it wrong, I just want to mention that your stepdad's health has no bearing on your predisposition to diabetes or any other health related issues he may suffer from. No genetic ties there for you. But, I agree with you; avoid putting yourself in that type of situation early. Good Luck.

Antionettemn619, you don't have to explain to anyone why you are getting this surgery. This is your body and your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to be healthy and thin.

By the way, just in case I read it wrong, I just want to mention that your stepdad's health has no bearing on your predisposition to diabetes or any other health related issues he may suffer from. No genetic ties there for you. But, I agree with you; avoid putting yourself in that type of situation early. Good Luck.

Thank you. I understand that his diabetes has nothing to do with whether or not I get it, but just watching him suffer scares me. That could happen to me if I don't get my weight under control.

Thank you. I understand that his diabetes has nothing to do with whether or not I get it, but just watching him suffer scares me. That could happen to me if I don't get my weight under control.

Yes, I understand that. I am a type 2 diabetic on an insulin pump and still cannot get control. That is why I'm having this surgery. I need to lose weight in order to lessen the insulin resistance.

Ok so I just had my nutritional evaluation, scheduled my psychological evaluation and have class tonight. The more time that goes by, the more I keep finding myself thinking I can't wait to be skinny! I can't wait to wear all of the cute shorts and outfits that I've always loved but we're too big to wear! I'm very excited because at this moment I am more sure than ever that I want this surgery. Has anyone else had that aha moment where they put something on after surgery that they never thought they'd be able to wear? I bet it feels great. I can't wait to be skinny. Until then I will continue to work out and do my best with my diet but hopefully I won't chicken out before surgery.

When I began my journey I weighed 331 pounds and at 5'2" was a VERY large lady. Two and a half years following surgery I am maintaining at 125 pounds. I wear a size 6! When I began this journey I NEVER would have thought this is were I would land!

Sometimes I still do a double take when I look in the mirror. Yesterday I was leaving Sam's Club where I had purchased four bags a Skinny Pop popcorn (my family LOVES it!). A lady I know from my local YMCA was also there and she looked at the popcorn and said "now I know how you stay so skinny, you live on popcorn!". What did I hear? She called me "SKINNY"!!! That is not a word I would have EVER thought anybody would use to describe me! She had NO IDEA that she made my day!

It takes hard work and dedication, but it is SO worth it! The clothes are great, but how you feel is even greater! Best of luck!

Carol

Carol (baconville):

Just looked at your before and after pictures. WOW! You look fantabulously skinny! Did you have skin removal surgery, and if not, how did you accomplish no bulgy loose skin? Absolutely wonderful. I just received my surgery date of 4/4/16 and am so very excited to finally begin this chapter of my life! I hope to have the success that you obviously are maintaining. You inspire me.

Thanks for sharing.

There is only ONE THING that is "horrible" about my journey so far.... and that is crushing

Metformin and drinking it....

There is only ONE THING that is "horrible" about my journey so far.... and that is crushing

I had revision from lapband to bypass Dec 28 2015.I am so happy....Was off of Metformin 3 days post op....no Metformin since...I feel great...those horse pills 850 x 2 a day is over.

Carol (baconville):

Just looked at your before and after pictures. WOW! You look fantabulously skinny! Did you have skin removal surgery, and if not, how did you accomplish no bulgy loose skin? Absolutely wonderful. I just received my surgery date of 4/4/16 and am so very excited to finally begin this chapter of my life! I hope to have the success that you obviously are maintaining. You inspire me.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am happy to inspire - there were so many here that inspired me along the way! I find that I still need that inspiration to keep traveling this difficult journey - believe me maintenance is not easy - I still struggle every day.

As for bulgy, saggy skin - I have not had surgery and believe me I have A LOT of it. The only good thing I can say about it is that it can easily be concealed in the right clothes. The part that bothers me the most is my upper arms because anything sleeveless really shows the skin. I do a lot of weight lifting and you can see actual muscle definition, but I can't show it off because of all the loose skin. Kind of a bummer!

Best of luck to you as begin your journey. This takes hard work and dedication, but the life that is waiting for you on the other side is SO WORTH IT! Go for it!

Carol

I had revision from lapband to bypass Dec 28 2015.I am so happy....Was off of Metformin 3 days post op....no Metformin since...I feel great...those horse pills 850 x 2 a day is over.

They took me off my Metformin, but I still think my sugars are slightly too high. I wonder if I should go back on it for a while.

Just stay away from carbs and fruits.This is a chance to get sugar. Intolerance out of your system.Eat high Protein no sweets whatsoever.

@@antionettemn619y1 - Let's be honest here - we all did this to get skinny. Look I said it was to get rid if the diabetes (which it did) but reality is I didn't want to be the biggest person in the room anymore either. I don't have kids but spend a lot of time with my nephews and didn't want them to be embarrassed by me as they got older. There are a lot of great benefits to being "skinny" including (or maybe most especially) the clothes. And I am just now in a 14! I am 5' 10" though so it looks a little different on me. There are folks on here with very low BMIs getting surgery which I don't totally understand but who am I to judge their reasoning. I agree you don't want to be pushed into this but it sounds like you aren't and it is a decision you are happy with. My best advise is to consider therapy if you can and really take that seriously. There are a lot of emotions that come with this and talking to a professional really helps - especially if it is someone who works with bariatric patients. The best thing I have learned is to stop lying to myself. Still a work in progress but my therapist calls me out when I make excuses for poor choices and it is making it easier to call myself out.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

@@antionettemn619y1 - Let's be honest here - we all did this to get skinny. Look I said it was to get rid if the diabetes (which it did) but reality is I didn't want to be the biggest person in the room anymore either. I don't have kids but spend a lot of time with my nephews and didn't want them to be embarrassed by me as they got older. There are a lot of great benefits to being "skinny" including (or maybe most especially) the clothes. And I am just now in a 14! I am 5' 10" though so it looks a little different on me. There are folks on here with very low BMIs getting surgery which I don't totally understand but who am I to judge their reasoning. I agree you don't want to be pushed into this but it sounds like you aren't and it is a decision you are happy with. My best advise is to consider therapy if you can and really take that seriously. There are a lot of emotions that come with this and talking to a professional really helps - especially if it is someone who works with bariatric patients. The best thing I have learned is to stop lying to myself. Still a work in progress but my therapist calls me out when I make excuses for poor choices and it is making it easier to call myself out.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I definitely plan in going to a therapist. I'm scheduled to see one who specializes in bariatric patients next friday! Thank you!

Wow, great comment, Antoinette! My shrink asked me last week (I'm three weeks post-op)if the WLS

program had told me beforehand of how dangerous it can be post op in terms of addictions,

depression, etc and though it was mentioned very briefly it was certainly given very short

shrift.

So I've been warned to VERY careful and vigilant now for any signs of depression and /or

addictive behaviors.... idea being many of us used food for ages to mask other underlying things.

And lastly, I had a BMI of 35 +/- but had EVERY co morbidity in the book; you name it, diabetes, incredible joint and back pain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, blah, blah... so this is absolutely life-changing...now all that said: this is a riot and a lot of

fun buying clothes off the rack, really old clothes (in perfect condition) now fitting, etc. Thank GOD I did this. do want to say that I met the surgeon almost half way here. I lost 35 lbs before the operation and had a strong exercise regimen going...